Cycle books for strategy and tactics

Goodson1974
Goodson1974 Posts: 41
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
Hi all

I've recently purchased a road bike and i've been watching some races on TV (i've been riding lots as well :D ) and i'd like to find out more about the ins and outs of road racing and how it all works.

Are there any books suitable for a newbie that explains the sport?

I've been checking online, but it's hard to tell if any of the books actually cover this.

Cheers

Comments

• I don't think there are. Probably best to read some of the books about the 'greats' ie Merckx, Coppi etc, these generally explain some of the racing tactics. Also Procycling and Cycle Sport have good articles about racing and the tactics.
  • Errrrrrrrrrrrrr not so!

Good ammount in
    "BIKE RACING 101 , ESSENTIALS FOR CYCLING COMPETITION"` by kendra and rene WENZEL piblished by 'human kinetics'
    Cicycling magazine did a 'racing' trainers guide which was a small paperback for £6.99 and i got mine from Waterstones.
    "SERIOUS CYCLING" by Edund R.BURKE also published by Human Kinetics covers the hole shabang!

They are all far better than the usual fools fodder crap and worth the cash. Hope it helps
  • brownbosh wrote:
    Errrrrrrrrrrrrr not so!

Good ammount in
    "BIKE RACING 101 , ESSENTIALS FOR CYCLING COMPETITION"` by kendra and rene WENZEL piblished by 'human kinetics'
    Cicycling magazine did a 'racing' trainers guide which was a small paperback for £6.99 and i got mine from Waterstones.
    "SERIOUS CYCLING" by Edund R.BURKE also published by Human Kinetics covers the hole shabang!

They are all far better than the usual fools fodder crap and worth the cash. Hope it helps

Brilliant! I shall check these out. Thanks for this :D
  • Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    better yet join a cycle club and learn how to ride in a bunch - a vital first step. Honestly you will learn more by riding with experienced riders then you will from a book.
  • totally agree , new to club lifethis year and its great but that does not necessarily mean you will lear everything from your new riding buddies. Take all of the info you can, books, watch races , look at the pros, join a club, make mistakes and most of all enjoy it!
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    Are there any online resources for this kind of stuff? I'm interested too but an online resource might be easier to dip in and out of.