sports drink vs fruit juice?

ARob
ARob Posts: 143
edited September 2008 in Workshop
on a typical 2-3 hr training ride, does a decent sports drink (SIS or whatever) actually make any measurable difference compared with a diluted fruit juice? it occurs that calories are about the same and seems to be a similar composition, would be a lot easier and cheaper to take the later and tastes rather better to!

Comments

• JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    I train with water and only use SIS for some races instead of being one of those riders that has a gel for a club run
  • simbil1
    simbil1 Posts: 620
    I read an article that diluted fruit juice (not apple though for some reason) outperformed many energy drinks in terms of energy absorbed by the rider. The mixture was something like 1/4 strength juice with a pinch of salt IIRC.

Agree with JC, for a training run I believe in training to use your fat stores and so make carb not so readily available. That works for me up to 2 hours, any further and I take some regular food.
    I use gels, bars and water when I do tri's. Might try a little fruit juice addition in the bottle next season to see how it works ;)
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    water
    sugar (in simple form)
    salt

thats it

get the balance right, and you are winning. Fructose is as good as the stuff in the powders. Search isotonic in the BBC site and yu get a home made guide for them using fruit juice and salt.

It's like beer, all made the same way just in different strengths and mixes for effect. You can up the suger level for a more energy drink (long ride), or you can just go isotonic to replace the sweat. Water is fine, but it isn't as good as the isotonic as it lacks the other 2 ingredients.
    Pick what you prefer, and if its fruit juice, add a pinch of salt if its hot. The fancy shop ones are not much more than the above 3 things. SIS range is all made out of it, no magic in there.
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    Orange juice, 1/3 or 1/4 with the rest water and add some salt. However do make sure you wash it out afterwards as unexpected essence of mould can be unpleasant.
  • on hot sunny days, not that we get many, sports drinks r best as they provide better hydration, and are a must to use if you ride more than 1 day in a row.
    i've found powerbar works best for me, but you just have to try and find out what works best for you and dillution levels.