You on TV?

sonny73
sonny73 Posts: 2,203
edited September 2008 in Pro race
Has anyone ever made a decent apperance on TV coverage of a race, especially a grand tour? and if so is it viewable on YouTube for all to view as proof? :D

I'm up to 2 blurs of myself over the last 2 Tour de France's.

Comments

• knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Not sure what you mean but …

my family told me I was visible in the TV live broadcast one year on the ascent to Col de Madeleine. I’ve never seen it.
    I was on the side of the road near the crest and, as he went by, one rider snatched the L’Equipe newspaper I had in my hands, presumably to tuck inside his jersey during the descent. Apparently, the TV repeated the incident in slow-mo, so Phil Liggett could explain the rider’s behaviour (thus how my family knew for certain it was me).

In the Vosges about 10 years ago, the stage Ullrich was nearly out-distanced by Virenque, the Eurosport coverage quite clearly shows my wife applauding the riders as they went by, zooming in on her!

In neither case is there any You Tube, though.
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    I'm the last person you see in the now-infamous Youtube clip of Cadel getting happy slappy with a journalist after the Hautacam stage this year. I must be there for all of half a second 8) (at 28" out of 28, wearing a black fleece, a white reporters bib and my sunglasses are on top of my head)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FikzgWE3t0A
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    I was seen on Streatley Hill in this years ToB, but unfortunately no proof, plus my taller clubmates were more visible :cry:

I also got two messages read out during the Veulta YAY!
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Your right knedlicky, I wasnt clear sorry but you all guessed right I meant in the crowd :D If only I had appeared as a rider in the last 2 tours though :D

And that's such a great clip to be in phil s, classic Evans in such a strop.
  • claudb
    claudb Posts: 212
    My wife managed to get herself into the Video of the 1994 Paris-Roubaix.
    Also, my Son and I got into the TV footage of the 1987 Kelloggs Tour standing just on 'our' side of the Border on the stage from Edinburgh to Newcastle.
    I doubt if either of these are available on YouTube though.
  • My claim to cycling tv fame is that my three mates and I were interviewed by Ned Boulting for ITV on the slopes of the tourmalet during the 2004 tour (the stage won by Birillo). The interview appeared later in the week with us all wearing our Peugeot jerseys to mark the 20th anniversary of Millar's king of the mountains win.

I bored people incessantly for months afterwards by playing the clip to them whenever I could :lol:

Then this year my girlfriend and son appeared on the live eurosport coverage of the stage to Hautacam, just a few seconds but she hasn't lived down "the shame" as she calls it. Funny girl :wink:
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    I got 3 mentions on the Vuelta. I also asked Harmon to donate something for me to raffle for charity. He said he'd email me after the show but never did. :cry:

So now I like Duffers more :lol:
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    You could see me as I took a closeup picture of Giuseppe Geurini on Alpe d'Huez about 10 years ago. For some reason he wasn't best pleased. Great shot though :lol::wink:
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    When the TOB was in the Menock pass I was caught on the Helicam at one point, all you coudl see was 1 dark blob holding another dark blob up to face, with a long dark stick pointing out of it. Dunnoh if it woudl ahve been better in High Def, probably no chance of seeing that I was shooting film.

Occasionally caugh on football coverage, fairly easy to spot, the block i sit in is generally deserted.

Have seen my feet on Golf Coverage,

Once saw a BBC news report being filmed in front of the discovery, the stub of cobbles is a road, camera on one side presenter on otherside... Was very tempted to ride through :twisted:
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Me and my mate George were on BBC last year when we went down to see the TOB heading towards Crawfordjohn.
    Brian B.
  • epr
    epr Posts: 26
    Not quite matching the 15 minutes of fame I have been allotted by Andy Warhol, I 'feature' in about 1/30 sec of the TV coverage of stage 16 of the 2004 Tour. It's not on youtube, but it is in the 12 hr highlights DVD (at approx 8'30" into disc 5...).
  • Never been to see a cycle race :oops: . Have been on TV at Lords, England v Windies, Tavern Stand and the Shelf at White Hart Lane, cant remember who that was against now.

Started my TV appearances early, I was on Play School in about 1980 :lol: .
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    I saw myself at the sign on at the start of 1st stage on TdF in London. If you see DD cuddle the Devil I was in a pink cardi somewhere!
    However, my 15 mins of fame were on the quiz show 15 to 1. :D
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Nothing to do with cycling, but I was interviewed by Chinese TV at the Olympics (in a sports bar watching China v USA basketball). I've no idea if I made it to screen.

The BBC are doing a feature on my hockey club in a month, so I might feature in that.
    Twitter: @RichN95