Bells

the_hundredth_idiot
the_hundredth_idiot Posts: 813
edited September 2008 in Commuting chat
I want a bell for my new bike. I know, I know - you probably won't be surprised to hear that my new bike also has full mudguards. I'm just a practical kind of guy :? who's had enough of loudly clearing his throat at suicidal pedestrians, interpersed with the occasional "Oy! :evil: ". I don't want to scare anyone with a fog horn, just a gentle ting-ting is fine.

So, I bought one from my LBS yesterday but it won't fit my bike - the bars are too large a diameter. The LBS doesn't have any that fit larger diameter bars so what are my options? Or do I put this idea in the same place as reflectors on my (SPD) pedals and a reflector on the rear of my bike? :roll:

PS. Deffo going to go for some of those wickeeeed spoke lights
Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.

Comments

• I'm surprised it doesn't fit the bars.

Does it have a plastic mounting clip or the old "pair of u-shaped brackets held together with a couple of long threaded screws"? If it is the plastic sort, it is possible it may have a rubber shim that you might need to take out first - have a quick look.

On the subject of bells, I got one of the old british "bee bells" - you know, the "ring-ring" sort rather than the "ding-ding" ones and while loud, it rattles like heck when I go over bumps... which is all the time on my commute.

I'd be interested in hearing about what you finally settle on.
  • Plastic mounting clip. No rubber shim. On normal drops - trying to fit it just to the left of the stem.

They did have some with the u-shaped bracket - but they were big, old-fashioned silver things and I wanted something a little more subtle.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    get a massive hooter instead :lol:
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    linsen wrote:

Mmmmm...massive hooters.....

(to OP - you can buy bells that mount themselves using a thick rubber band)
  • linsen wrote:

Hooter meaning nose, of course. :lol: Just the one rather than a pair.

@GUSSIO - sounds the trick [heads off to wiggle]
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    linsen wrote:

haven't you seen his nose?

But how will that replace a bell?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • On the other hand, a pair of massive hooters would probably be effective in alerting pedestrians to my presence. Or, at least, 50% of pedestrians ... :shock:
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    On the other hand, a pair of massive hooters would probably be effective in alerting pedestrians to my presence. Or, at least, 50% of pedestrians ... :shock:

If you used the 'Gazza' strap on ones, pretty much 100% of pedestrians would notice you...

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • doog442
    doog442 Posts: 370
    i had the same problem..however does your new bike have a front reflector on a bracket on the handlebar stem ? ie big available bracket

I found that I could fit the actual bell bracket to the reflector bracket after taking the reflector off.....doesnt look too bad, so small bell on big stem..sorted
  • Doesn't fit? Is it pink with a picture of Cinderella on it?
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    I thought all new bikes HAD to be sold with a bell on it . :roll:
    Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • giltkid wrote:
    Doesn't fit? Is it pink with a picture of Cinderella on it?

If I want a pink Cinderella bell, I'll have one. I won't let any outdated gender/age stereotyping put me off. Plus it will go nicely with my My Little Pony rucksack.

No front reflector (or rear for that matter) and I thought the "has to have a bell of point of sale" thing was just a myth? :?:
  • AndyManc wrote:
    I thought all new bikes HAD to be sold with a bell on it . :roll:

I thought so to! There's a custom MTB builder that I know of that fit's a Ladybird shaped bell to all it's bikes! lol