Sportive T-Shirts

samoff
samoff Posts: 128
Just had my T-shirt delivered in advance of the Autumn Epic. It's nice enough - not exactly spectacular. I have to say, though, its the last time I'll be geting one. I mean: how many t-shirts can you possibly want?
I think sportives are going to have to come up with something a bit different. I've just bought some arm-warmers specially for the Epic - maybe they could print up some of those (although obviously that'd be a lot more expensive).
Floppy hats for the summer rides would be nice. The one thing I really want after a hot day in the dales is something to keep the sun off.
"Check your sheds! Check your sheds! I think I've lost my mind" Half Man Half Biscuit

Comments

• feel
    feel Posts: 800
    Agree with the T shirt thing - i just declined one for a charity ride as last week .I realised i had quite a few, unworn, in a drawer. I suppose they probably want the advertising/publicity as much as anything from the people wearing them. However since i don't tend to wear T shirts i thought it might at least save them a little money.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    cycling caps are always good and there aren't many people that turn them down, couple of weeks ago at Tour of Britain in Stoke everyone was walking around in free pinarello caps but i was too late to get one
    :evil: :arrow: :cry:
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    JC.152 wrote:
    cycling caps are always good and there aren't many people that turn them down, couple of weeks ago at Tour of Britain in Stoke everyone was walking around in free pinarello caps but i was too late to get one
    :evil: :arrow: :cry:

Good call

now that would be something i would pay an extra couple of quid for.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    The T shirts also vary in quality a lot, from the Rydale Rumble ones which are good quality down to , well as i want an entry next year I'll keep quiet.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • Johnny G
    Johnny G Posts: 348
    I agree re "T-shirt fatigue" - we gave away caps instead at the Legbreaker for this reason.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Try taking-up running.
    You can do a 5K or 10K every weekend all Summer and get a t-shirt from each of them...
    Lots of car or bike polishing rags I guess !

But what's the alternative ?

- a cheap tinplate medal on a bit of ribbon ? I've got about 20 hanging off the downstairs loo handle...

- a decorative paperweight, bit of welsh slate, etc. Ye-e-sss, I can remember my Auntie's tat-filled house even today...

- a mug ? More useful, I've only got two of those ! But if I got one for every race or sportive...

- a water bottle ? Again more useful, but I got one for every race or sportive...

I guess the event organisers have a dliemma.
    They need to produce these things because they appeal to newbies - a great attraction, a trophy.
    But when you've done a few events they become rather less exciting

These days I'll choose to do one event over another because it is (or I perceive it to be ) a better event and whether it has a t-shirt, medal, goodie bage, etc. doesn't come into that
    - I'd rather have a few quid off the entry fee !
  • samoff
    samoff Posts: 128
    When it comes to keepsakes, I like to hang on to my numbers. I've just squeezed my mud-splattered Autumn Epic number (589) into the frame along with the others. I write the date and my time on the back of each one. Is that a bit sad?

It would be a very slight disappointment if a sportive didn't have it's name written on the number (though obviously not enough to stop me entering).
    "Check your sheds! Check your sheds! I think I've lost my mind" Half Man Half Biscuit
  • zenzinnia
    zenzinnia Posts: 698
    I like the idea of using proper cotton cycle caps for promotion (and was able to get one of the Pinerello ones in Stone) but does anyone know anywhere that would produce these all printed up for a project I'm involved with?
    To err is human,
    but to really screw things up you need a shimano - campag mixed drivechain.