New Fenix torches ...

123457»

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Got smooth first, then orange peel, not a hugely noticeable difference but OP should be better.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Whats the issue with the length ? My LD20 isnt long and it sits on the bars so its only about 70mm either end of it. I dont think i'd want one much shorter -I'd lose the damn thing !
  • alfablue
    size matters... :?: :oops:
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    If you are willing to go with 18650s, which are cheap from DX and a better battery solution, the TK11 is 13.5mm long, having said that I have used a 2xAA Fenix without any problems with the length.
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    blorg wrote:
    My new TK11, may be of interest :D Fog in the last shot. Find it more than enough for cycling on unlit roads including fastish descents (max around 60-65km/h as I am on my fixie.) Note long exposures, mostly 2-4 seconds, emphasise the light, but it really is plenty bright.)

night01.jpg

seriously many thanks just to see these photos of actual use of the fenix tk11.
    definitly goin to get it as a 2nd light to go with my romisen t5
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    What sort of lumens would people suggest is ok for use on the road in traffic and on a dark unlit cycle path? I've got no idea what level is bright enough!
    would approx 100 lumens cover both bases?
    I dont want a light thats ultra bright and blinding car drivers on hte roads and other cyclists on the cycle path but i want enough light to see debris etc in the way!

LD10 and L1D Q5 are both around 100 lumens give or take at a run time that would cover me to work and back.
    Cheers, Stu
  • alfablue
    I use my L2D on high rather than Turbo quite a lot of the time, it is good enough, 109 lumens I think. You can dazzle drivers with that if it is aimed too high. You can buy an L2D body so you could convert to an L2D, or an L1 body to convert an L2D to an L1D - I think the former works out £1 cheaper. So you can rectify your "mistake" for £12 or £13.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Slightly OT here as it doesn't concert the Fenix lights but, as it is nearly dark by the time I leave work for home now I had to install my L & M Solo Logic MV on my current commutin bike. This makes the Ultrafire torch I had used for the past couple weeks redundant - that torch is pretty useless in comparison.
    As I'd seen recommendations for a Tesco Cree LED torch I visited a couple of stores to try to source one. 2nd shop had one and for £10 it is actually pretty decent. I haven't had a chance to install it properly on the bike (tonight's job) but I think it a genuine decent light and will partner the L & M. Way better than the Ultrafire - lens and body are a bit of a step up in terms of weight (build Q also is better, Ultrafire is sometimes not switching on). Beam seems narrower than the L & M but a good throw of light and the 2 should work fine as a complemantary pair.
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    Well the orders gone in for a L1D, Twofish lockblock, Vapextech LCD World charger, 4x2900mah NiMH and a Smart 1/2Watt LED rear light to complement my existing setup of a single front Cateye EL135 flasher and single rear Cateye TL-130 rear flasher.
    Cheers, Stu
  • GyatsoLa
    GyatsoLa Posts: 667
    Has anyone used the H30 headlamp? Is the beam strong enough as an emergency light for cycling? (thinking of getting it as a backup light for touring).

http://www.thephotonshop.co.uk/page41.htm
  • aracer
    aracer Posts: 1,649
    No, but I've read plenty about it. Lots of nice flood, but very little throw - therefore not the ideal thing for riding with (though it will be very handy when your'e fixing punctures).
  • cougie
    Just buy the l20d for the same price - its good for cycling and you can use it on low power if you are fixing stuff too.
  • GyatsoLa
    cougie wrote:
    Just buy the l20d for the same price - its good for cycling and you can use it on low power if you are fixing stuff too.

Thanks for that - I was thinking about the LD11 and the headlamp and bringing a CR123 charger for my touring needs (mainly on the basis that my guess is that the total weight of those three items, plus spare batteries is less than the equivalent AA torches and kit. But I guess AA's are in general more convenient.
  • blorg
    Don't use CR123 batteries, use 18650.

Maybe depends how much touring you are planning to be doing in the dark. If it is only for "might get caught in the dark" purposes a single 18650 in a TK11 gives you 2h45 to 50% on turbo (with at least another 1h-1h30 of usable light) and around 13 hours on standard (which is still plenty bright for unlit riding.)* If you bring 4x 18650 batteries that is a max of well over 48 hours of dark riding. Which is a lot. If you need more, 18650 chargers weigh no more than AA chargers.

*Light-reviews have a runtime graph but on a recent cycle I definately got more out of a single battery; changed first battery over 4h30 in (turbo all the way) and it was still putting out usable light.

http://www.light-reviews.com/fenix_tk11/
  • GyatsoLa
    blorg wrote:
    Don't use CR123 batteries, use 18650.

Maybe depends how much touring you are planning to be doing in the dark. If it is only for "might get caught in the dark" purposes a single 18650 in a TK11 gives you 2h45 to 50% on turbo (with at least another 1h-1h30 of usable light) and around 13 hours on standard (which is still plenty bright for unlit riding.)* If you bring 4x 18650 batteries that is a max of well over 48 hours of dark riding. Which is a lot. If you need more, 18650 chargers weigh no more than AA chargers.

*Light-reviews have a runtime graph but on a recent cycle I definately got more out of a single battery; changed first battery over 4h30 in (turbo all the way) and it was still putting out usable light.

http://www.light-reviews.com/fenix_tk11/

Thanks for that blorg, food for thought. But I've just realised that the H50 headtorch uses AA's. I'd like to stay with AA's if possible as my camera uses them.

But those burn times are very impressive indeed. Makes my Dinotte lights look pretty poor.
  • cougie
    The l20d uses aas too - and you get about five hours on high - thats fine for riding with.
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    The switch on my Orange Peel LD20 was intermittantly faulty. Photon shop had a look at it, and although couldn't find anything wrong, replaced it by return.

I've now had my two LD20s for a month and love them! Mind you, I try not to use them on Turbo mode-I'm using sets of 2000 and 2500 mAh batteries, and get about 40 mins on turbo.

Plenty enough light on setting two of the variable mode and lasts for hours

What is nice is getting a little respect from drivers at night, Never used to happen with the Cateye LD500/530 combo I used to use

I've kept the Cateyes, as I find their longer burn time useful as a backup
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • GyatsoLa
    I got my L20 a few days ago and had my first ride on it this morning (supplementing my 2x Dinotte Lights. I'm hugely impressed so far, a great spread of light (Dinottes are strong, but they send out a 'glob' so they always have to be complemented with a helmet light). The zebra headlight is a little too weak for cycling, but still a hugely impressive bit of kit, ideal as an emergency and camping light when touring.

I got 2900 mAh AAA's to go with it - the wierd thing is that I tried them first on the Dinotte light, and the battery pack got very hot during a ride through rain and sleet on wednesday night. There was even a smell of burning plastic - I wonder are they a little too strong?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Just ordered one of the LD20s, reckon it'd be enough for long pitch black training rides?

Need to get some high capacity rechargeable batteries and a charger now though :?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • cougie
    Yeah should be fine - but the p7 throws out far more light and a wider area at the expense of having an eighty min life. Prob overkill on the road and it will spoil the fenix for you. Fenix will last a really good time though.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Just ordered one of the LD20s, reckon it'd be enough for long pitch black training rides?

Need to get some high capacity rechargeable batteries and a charger now though :?

You should have got the TK11 R2 240 Lumens of light :shock:

Together with my LD1100 NO driver can say " i didn't see you"
  • blorg
    Benefits of the TK11 would be longer battery life, slightly brighter, better throw, shorter torch body, uses just one battery (handy if you are carrying spares.)

Benefit of the LD20 would be that it uses standard AAs although TBH I don't think this is such a big benefit as 18650s are cheap.

So while the TK11 is better one LD20 is certainly sufficient for pitch black rides (I borrowed one to try out before I got the TK11.)
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I quite like the AA compatiblity of the LD20/L2D, as I'll probably use it as a torch aswell - I can get decent alkaline AAs free for when I use it as a torch.

The LD20 seems to have a good enough power, but it doesn't seem to have enough of a wide enough beam, so I think I might have to get another Fenix for the other side of the stem - perhaps a L2D this time.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • thexvw
    thexvw Posts: 135
    Thats the advantage of the P7, gives a large flood of light rather than a narrow spot.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    I tried my TK11 out today. It was excellent although it shows up EVERY shiny stones/grit etc on the road so i was forever thinking i was going over glass :shock:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Does the TK11 use AA lithium batterys? Is that what they are?

Is it deffo worth it over the LD20 Q5? I mean seems like battery's might cost alot.
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    No.
    The TK11 uses either 1x18650 or 2xCR123
    A 18650 is a rechargeable Li-ion used mostly for making laptop battery packs.
    A CR123 is a fairly expensive camera batteries if bought in shops, cheaper in bulk off the interweb. There are rechargeable versions but they only last half as long.

If you get one, get a couple of 18650 and a charger at the same time. Most places that sell the TK11 will also sell them.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I got the LD20 Q5 and 4x Lithium rechargeable battery's.

Do you think it will be bright enough to allow me passage from Manchester to York, via the pennines in the pitch black with alot of ascents and descents?

I hope I'll be happy with it.