cycling across zebra crossings

jedster
jedster Posts: 1,717
edited September 2008 in Commuting chat
Today I was cruising towards a zebra crossing at a decent pace when a woman on a bike slowly rolled towards the crossing from the pavement.

To my mind, I have right of way versus a cyclist pulling away from the pavement, zebra crossing or no zebra crossing, but knowing there are no shortage of idiot cyclists around I cover the brakes. Sure enough she rides straight onto the crossing, I stop abruptly but safely, she gives me a little sheepish grin and I say "they're for walking over you know" as she wobbles off.

Now if I see a ped approaching a crossing, I will ease off and nod them across but I just resent doing that to cyclists.

Am I being unreasonable?

J

Comments

• Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Nope, I'm with you jedster, I always give peds a nod to acknowlesdge that I;'m giving way as most an understandibly nervous in the face of an approaching cyclist.

Cyclists using crossing...no no no no no! It's not on, it;s the same as using pavements.
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • chaley
    chaley Posts: 100
    Unreasonable? Hell No! It's one of my pet hates. Make them wait.
    Chaley
    2009 langster

Blasphemy is the only victimless crime
  • Littigator wrote:
    Nope, I'm with you jedster, I always give peds a nod to acknowlesdge that I;'m giving way as most an understandibly nervous in the face of an approaching cyclist.

Cyclists using crossing...no no no no no! It's not on, it;s the same as using pavements.

+1

Many peds are rightly concerned that cyclists won't stop, I wave them across if they are hovering nervously...
  • FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 925
    Are 'speed humps' now recognised crossing points?
    All the pedestrians here use 'em as such.
    Powered by Haribo. Zwift convert P.aul Laws [x]
  • Quite a lot here have been made actual crossings, or perhaps vice versa - crossings have now been raised. I suppose the idea is that cars will approach the speed bump slower and then if a ped walks out without looking, or assuming the car will stop, the driver has more time to react.
  • FCE2007 wrote:
    Are 'speed humps' now recognised crossing points?
    All the pedestrians here use 'em as such.

You should see Ealing Road in Wembley. People throw themselves off these like lemmins, expecting people to stop without warning, drives me mad!!
  • Could be worse. In N. America, jaywalking is ticketable. However, every intersection (at least where I was) is a notional pedestrian right of way, which is about every 100 yards. Honestly, it was bonkers, pedestrians asserting their right of way left right and centre. Millitant grannies were the worst. I think the reason mtbs are so popular is because they are the only bikes with good enough brakes.
  • God you Londoners are a sensitive bunch, aren't you?
  • How come you don't live in London? I don't understand. :roll:
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    Those of us who aren't idiots have to take care of those who are.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    jedster wrote:
    Today I was cruising towards a zebra crossing at a decent pace when a woman on a bike slowly rolled towards the crossing from the pavement.

So she was riding on the pavement and then continued to ride across the zebra crossing? No wonder so many pedestrians have no time for cyclists in London... :twisted:
    Steve C
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    We have the same problems here - infact I'd rather stop that be blamed for hurting someone, though I will check behind me first.

Word of warning though... some crossings allow cyclists to ride across - toucans for example. You'll see these with the little green cycle light next to the lil man. Though the pavements around the toucans may be pedestrian only so beware! If unsure write or email your council.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    jedster wrote:

To my mind, I have right of way versus a cyclist pulling away from the pavement, zebra crossing or no zebra crossing, but knowing there are no shortage of idiot cyclists around I cover the brakes. Sure enough she rides straight onto the crossing, I stop abruptly but safely, she gives me a little sheepish grin and I say "they're for walking over you know" as she wobbles off.

Now if I see a ped approaching a crossing, I will ease off and nod them across but I just resent doing that to cyclists.

Am I being unreasonable?

J

No. The zebra crossing on on the corner of Cheyne Walk and "Some Other" Road is a classic one because it's used by those riders avoiding the New Kings Road.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."