Forum home Commuter cycling forum Commuting chat

Carrying Identification

sc999cssc999cs Posts: 596
edited September 2008 in Commuting chat
In case you never visit the Road forum could I recommend this topic about carrying identification whilst out cycling?
Steve C

Posts

  • sc999cs wrote:
    In case you never visit the Road forum could I recommend this topic about carrying identification whilst out cycling?

    Cheers 8) It's a very good idea and will look better than my tatty business card. Oddly enough I heard Steve Cram on Radio Five live a few months back talking about the cramalert following the tragic story of his brother :( but I hadn't built up the courage to do the commute then so forgot all about it. Thanks for the timely reminder
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • Stanley222 wrote:
    Great idea

    I wear dog-tags with my name, blood group, postcode, house number and emergency contact details on.

    They are cheap and dont rust etc so it doesnt matter if the rain gets on them / wear them in the shower.

    There are plenty of companies that do them and fleabay - you can even push the boat out and buy them in gold or silver! :wink:

    +1 worn when I'm out on the roadie. At all other times my phone has an ICE contact in it which I believe paramedics will look for.
    2015 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX
    2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX
    2020 Canyon Inflite SL 7
    On the Strand
    Crown Stables
  • ceecee Posts: 4,553
    I don't think it is as much of an issue whilst commuting, as we are more likely to have other ID on us at the time....wallet, business cards, phone etc....

    But this is definitely a good idea for those times when we are a little further afield or on our own.

    Mind you...riding trails, I have a backpack, in which I usually carry my wallet too. I can certainley see it as important for you roadie types who don't want to be weighed down by a bag etc....
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

    H.G. Wells.
  • karl jkarl j Posts: 517
    Very topical !!!!! i i made my own "dog tag "- just wrote my name, tel no.,address NOK, prev. poss. relevant medical details etc on the back of a business cardthen laminated it, n case i ever need scooping up by ambulance(Actually it was a Barclays Bank personal bankers appointment card, but it's the same size same size as everything else in my wallet and seemed to fit the bill reasonably well when it was used last week.
    Morning route (when i don't get the train)

    Evening route ,
  • karl jkarl j Posts: 517
    Very topical !!!!! i i made my own "dog tag "- just wrote my name, tel no.,address NOK, prev. poss. relevant medical details etc on the back of a business cardthen laminated it, n case i ever need scooping up by ambulance(Actually it was a Barclays Bank personal bankers appointment card, but it's the same size same size as everything else in my wallet and seemed to fit the bill reasonably well when it was used last week.
    Morning route (when i don't get the train)

    Evening route ,
  • biondinobiondino Posts: 5,990
    I have a unique name so as long as I have my wallet on me I won't be hard to place. Touch wood no-one ever needs to.
  • GussioGussio Posts: 2,452
    biondino wrote:
    I have a unique name so as long as I have my wallet on me I won't be hard to place. Touch wood no-one ever needs to.

    How do you know that your name is unique?
  • beverickbeverick Posts: 3,461
    cee wrote:
    I don't think it is as much of an issue whilst commuting, as we are more likely to have other ID on us at the time....wallet, business cards, phone etc....

    But this is definitely a good idea for those times when we are a little further afield or on our own.

    I always wear a 'dog tag' laced into my right shoe (from www.pettags.co.uk). I think it's important to have ID actually on your person as if you come off at high speed you can't guarantee that you and your possessions will end up in the same place.

    As with someone above i have name, address, blood group (although this is fairly irrelevant as you'd be tested before a transfusion anyway) and known allergies on a bright red tag. That reminds me I need to get a new one cut with current medication on it also.

    Bob
  • Gussio wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    I have a unique name so as long as I have my wallet on me I won't be hard to place. Touch wood no-one ever needs to.

    How do you know that your name is unique?

    'Cos that's what he was christened - Uneeq Biondino
    :lol:
    2015 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX
    2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX
    2020 Canyon Inflite SL 7
    On the Strand
    Crown Stables
  • hmmm... I've never even contemplated this, and I never carry anything with ID when I ride, unless I'm on a long tour then I have a bank card with my name, or my YHA card only.

    Good idea...might get something made up!
  • GussioGussio Posts: 2,452
    Gussio wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    I have a unique name so as long as I have my wallet on me I won't be hard to place. Touch wood no-one ever needs to.

    How do you know that your name is unique?

    'Cos that's what he was christened - Uneeq Biondino
    :lol:

    Hahaha....I actually Googled "Uneeq Biondino" and it comes up blank. Truely one in four billion :lol:
  • biondinobiondino Posts: 5,990
    Gussio wrote:
    Gussio wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    I have a unique name so as long as I have my wallet on me I won't be hard to place. Touch wood no-one ever needs to.

    How do you know that your name is unique?

    'Cos that's what he was christened - Uneeq Biondino
    :lol:

    Hahaha....I actually Googled "Uneeq Biondino" and it comes up blank. Truely one in four billion :lol:

    Okay, I'm unique in that I am the only M*** C******** who comes up on Google :)
  • girv73girv73 Posts: 842
    beverick wrote:
    I always wear a 'dog tag' laced into my right shoe (from www.pettags.co.uk).

    haha genius! I have these for my cats, and they're a helluva lot cheaper than the RoadID bracelet I was thinking of getting http://www.roadid.com/. Love it :D
    Today is a good day to ride
  • karl jkarl j Posts: 517
    beverick wrote:
    cee wrote:
    I don't think it is as much of an issue whilst commuting, as we are more likely to have other ID on us at the time....wallet, business cards, phone etc....

    But this is definitely a good idea for those times when we are a little further afield or on our own.

    I always wear a 'dog tag' laced into my right shoe (from www.pettags.co.uk). I think it's important to have ID actually on your person as if you come off at high speed you can't guarantee that you and your possessions will end up in the same place.

    As with someone above i have name, address, blood group (although this is fairly irrelevant as you'd be tested before a transfusion anyway) and known allergies on a bright red tag. That reminds me I need to get a new one cut with current medication on it also.
    Bob


    Yep must sort this bit out myself too... Talking to the ambulance fellas the other day they were saying
    peoples Current Medication info is often the biggest / most overlooked important piece of info people have missing / incomplete and can really cause major problems at the hospital
    Morning route (when i don't get the train)

    Evening route ,
Sign In or Register to comment.