THE WORLDS!

Barry Roubaix
Barry Roubaix Posts: 233
edited September 2008 in Pro race
Just thought I'd let you all know that there are other cyclists other than LA and that they are riding in the World Championships in Italy.

There are even British cyclists riding

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    ..........and I shall be there to watch them on Sunday 8) - packing the shades and the suncream 'cos the forecast is belissimo!
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Jammy b@stard! My mate flew out to Varese yesterday.

I hate you all!

(Enjoy)
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • I was scheduled to go on Buniess to Milan this week - was going to tag the weekend on and go to Varsese (on expenses :wink: ) but had to cancel at the last minute.

Hastily rescheduling for Lombardy weekend 8)
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Great U23 race.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Great U23 race.

What happened to Dan Martin ? one minute he was 15 secs behind then boom nowhere, still didnt see him cross the finish line. Was a great race though in what looks a quite testing techinical course cant see too many sprinters hanging on in for the finale on sunday

cheers
    MG
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • I didn't say any more, as there was no "spoiler".
    Seems to me, the 3 Belgians towed the larger group up to him, then got attacked by the small group that got up to the leaders.
    DM, must have lost contact, at that point.
    I was amazed at how quickly they crossed the gap.
    Glad the "home boys" who had sat on both groups got pipped!
    Great ride by BS.
    Two medals from the lead group was just reward, having been out there all day.
  • That was the best u23 race I've seen at the WC. I had to take an extended tea break to watch all of the final 3 laps.

And I love it when the Italians are given the opportunity to beat their handlebars in frustration at the finish like that -- so theatrical. 3 guys in the finale and they still couldn't do it.

:D
  • claudb
    claudb Posts: 212
    Brilliant racing, just how it should be !!
    I hope tomorrow and Sunday is as good.
    I haven't really thought about it much until now, but I wonder how much the absence of Radios plays a part in such exciting racing.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    LangerDan wrote:
    Jammy b@stard! My mate flew out to Varese yesterday.

I hate you all!

(Enjoy)

Im off to Varese too :-) ... well it is just down the road from here (.. well 2.5 hours in the car) :-)

:D:D
    www.dotcycling.com
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    yea that was a great race - cant wait for the mens race on sunday.. It was a real good finish from swift also.. hats off to the lad.. Looks like he is going to have a good future with his new signing next year
    cartoon.jpg
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    great race - I wonder if the fact there were no radios had anything to do with that?
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    I didn't say any more, as there was no "spoiler".

I wouldn't worry about it. I think many of the current forum posters would rather have another bout of c0ck-fencing about Armstrong and the TdF next July rather than the Worlds this year.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • leguape
    leguape Posts: 986
    Amazingly I managed to pick the Columbian for the win with about 30km to go I think. That never usually happens :shock:

The Italian make me laugh. How on earth do you fail to win it with 3 men up there? Swift looked like he was dying half the time and likely to win it the other half. I reckon he's a future rainbow jersey wearer in the making
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Should pro riders who are U23 ride the amateur U23 race or the elite men's road race?
  • I only caught the last few kilometres unfortunately and watched the Dutch rider painfully claw his way up to the lead group only for them to start attacking as soon as he'd breached the gap. I was thinking he might just get a chance to sit in the wheels and catch his breath but they went immediately. It seemed to me that the race was totally blown apart.
  • Errr, "Blazing Saddles", were you watching the same race?
    The Italians in the lead group attacked several times on the last & penultimate laps, but couldn't stay away.
    As to Ponzi's work in the chase group, we don't know, as they never featured on TV until their sudden & unexpected appearance behind the leaders, he managed to jump across, few others did.
    Duarte's attack was perfectly timed, will we have a Columbian to watch in the "Classics" in a few years, and not just romping up mountains in grand tours?

"Micron", Kelly & co actually covered your question. If a rider's in a Pro-Tour team, then he's inelligable for U-23, no matter how young he may be.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • weyayeman
    weyayeman Posts: 1,141
    Russel Downing did a great ride today,after a fantastic ride yesterday by Nicole Cooke.
    How son yee divent need gaan doon the Pit,coz thas plenty coal in the coal hoose
  • Errr, "Blazing Saddles", were you watching the same race?
    The Italians in the lead group attacked several times on the last & penultimate laps, but couldn't stay away.

Errrrr, and how is that contributing to the work in the break, exactly? :?
    Caruso, in particular, spent all his time as last man in the group and it was he, who attacked on the climbs, during the final two laps. Couldn't get away, so went back to being last man.

Which was exactly the point I was making.