insurance

thedoctor46
thedoctor46 Posts: 33
edited September 2008 in MTB general
hi all, just renewed my home insurance and they refused to cover my orange pro 5 and road bike , so had a few quotes from bike insurance companies and they want over 300 quid does this sound about right or they taken the pi...

Comments

• Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    who you insured with? I thought most companies can build in extras for 'Sports Equipment'. I'm sure ours has. not sure of the numbers, but my golf stuff is on there for about £1500
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    £300 per annum to cover an Orange? I'm sure you can get cheaper, have you looked into links on the immobilise site or CTC?
  • yes did do ctc will check immobbilise thanks
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    E and L do very good cheap insurance. Just took it out, and was very happy with teh price.
    http://www.eandl.co.uk/rates/cy

hope that helps!
  • E&L rates are good but have you looked at their security policy? The way I read it the bike has to be locked inside your house every night. Can't see my missus liking that too much :D
  • E&L rates are good but have you looked at their security policy? The way I read it the bike has to be locked inside your house every night. Can't see my missus liking that too much :D

I hope it hasnt changed but I rang them and queried them over this and was told that as long as my bike is inside a house that has the correct locks (5 lever etc) and deadlocks on the windows you should be fine. (I still lock mine!)

It almost gets to the point that you have so much security that you dont need the insurance....well for theft anyway, still better safe than sorry.
    Scott Ransom 10

Stumpy FSR Comp

Wilier Izoard

1994 Shogun Prairie Breaker Expert...ahhh yesssss

'I didnt need those front teeth anyway..'
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    E&L rates are good but have you looked at their security policy? The way I read it the bike has to be locked inside your house every night. Can't see my missus liking that too much :D

Mine is in my house, in a cellar, trick is finding the access to the cellar ;)
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    E&L suck donkey dong.

I had my Orange 5 stolen (not insured with them) I got a replacement through the home insurance, filled in the online application form from E&L to insure it, they ask if you have had any bikes stolen in the last few years, I said yes.

Later in the day I get a phone call to ask where it was stolen from, I said "in my house", they said, "we will not insure you". I then asked about my other existing policy with them (Orange Gringo) they said that they would not insure that either.

Needless to say I gave them a piece of my mind & it's not repeatable on a public forum.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    direct line quoted me a good price to add bikes to the home insurance.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP