well that's never happened before, off to hospital.

dunker
dunker Posts: 1,503
edited November 2008 in Health, fitness & training
woke up this morning a bit early at 6am so went to the toilet as usual though feeling very dizzy, which i just thought was tiredness. went off to the kitchen for a quick nibble before going back to bed for a snooze. nibbled on a biccie and a piece of chocolate then all i remember is being on the floor feeling drunker than i've ever felt with a very sore head, pain, feeling sick and cold shakes, stuck to floor in spinny land.

ambulance arrives and away i go to hospital, blues :D but no twos :cry:. i was seen to immediatly at Newport and had lots of checks, cardio, bloods, rectal. i nearly passed out again when the canular? needle in the hand would'nt go in ouch!! "stop that i'm not having that in there again" hehe so that ended up in my elbow, no pain that time :) but all the checks came out ok as they set me free after three or so hours yay.

the doctor said some people just have this problem and need to stand up slowly and if dizzy sit back down. so is this related to getting fitter as at rest the blood pressure is less? i should have asked him that but i just wanted out of there asap. the bump on my head that was the size of a flattened tennis ball is alot smaller now.

thanks to all staff at Newport who all were really nice and professional :D

right i'm off for a ride, argghh bike helmet won't fit, poo! :? maybe for the best heh.

Comments

• missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    That has happened to me before, I had a full pack of cookies one night - the next morning, went into the bathroom; next thing I know I'm on the floor with a large gash on the head!

I reckon it was a combination of high sugar intake and the fact I got up too fast.

I go to the Gym 3 times a week, Cycle and play Squash - I wouldn't be worried mate, as it happens to literally the "best" of us! :lol:
  • dunker
    ok thanks :) yeah i guess they would'nt let me loose if it was'nt safe, i also had a chest x-ray too. i was in and out of the x-ray room in about two minutes, seriously. i felt like a car with a team of tyre fitters at a pit stop in there hehe talk about efficiant.

and i did have a few chocs that evening before bed so sounds very similar but luckily no broken skin on then head, sorry you got a cut on it though :(

i spose that's my mot for a decade or so then :)

edit; forget to mention the ambulance crew, couple of great chaps and one of them was also an mtb xc rider, small world :D
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Last time I was in an ambliance was a St Johns ambliance with a couple of volunteers, one fully trained and a teenage female cadet who was doing the checks on my circulation by running her hands over my chest which improved the circulation to certain parts of my body :oops: but didn't do anything to the hypoglycaemia that caused the need for the ambulance. Went back 2 days later to apologise to the St Johns staff for the way I reacted, apparently I needed 4 burly security men to hold me down then was strapped to the stretcher :oops:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Sounds like postural hypotension. Can be medical reasons for it, but often happens if dehydrated.
  • dunker
    i told them that i had a busy riding weekend and they umm'd and aaah'd a bit like they do, heard a nurse say my pressure was low but it came back to normal within an hour i guess, so they did'nt drip me cos of that? prolly should'nt have had that glass of wine and chocolates before bed. i thought i was ok on hydration this week so far, no headaches, clear-yellow urine.

ahh well feeling pretty good now as long as i don't touch my lumpy head, just a very mild hangover feeling, like too much diving of a diving board kinda.
  • dunker
    Postural Hypotension,
    "It's important your doctor checks your blood pressure when you're lying down and standing to make sure of the diagnosis, and then decides whether treatment would be appropriate for you (for example, if there is a real risk that you could fall and be injured)."

ahh that was the last test they did, then they let me go, sounds like it, though i think i passed out then on hitting my head knocked myelf out aswell lol if that's possible, felt like it when i woke up.

right shall go live in a bouncy castle :lol:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think that is what has happened, a faint, then cracked your head.
  • You can read a bit more about here if you want

http://cks.library.nhs.uk/patient_infor ... essure_low
  • Thermo1
    Thermo1 Posts: 75
    dunker wrote:
    Postural Hypotension,
    ahh that was the last test they did, then they let me go, sounds like it, though i think i passed out then on hitting my head knocked myelf out aswell lol if that's possible, felt like it when i woke up.:

Absolutely it can happen. My wife has low BP and one night she got up to get a drink, next thing she had collapsed on the kitchen floor with a bump on her head the size of a tennis ball. :(

I subsequently had to have a lie down on the hospital floor after watching them stitch her head back together. :D
  • AndyBike
    AndyBike Posts: 126
    I had it too intense dizzyness, lighthead when standing up, the doc can check by taking BP sitiing and monitorong it when you stand up, happens in some people moreso if fitter, and I had it after longer rides riding more regular, get them to use the old BP machine with the mercury tube the electric ones can give false reading if youve got any muscle on your arms compared to the average unfit person. I was told there was no treatment its not a condition, just watch how quick you get up. Of course if you increase you salt and alcohol intake it will raise your BP a treat.
  • impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    I had repeated bouts of that a few years back. Happened in a pub once. Obviously everone thought I was Pi$$ed, but I hadn't touch a drop yet :shock: . As that was the 3rd time and I ended up with bruised ribs, lump one head, and a night of embarresment in the pub, I went to the quack. Again lot's of umming and aaring. He made me wear a portable ECG for 48 hours. No reason found and never happened since. :P
  • Tranced
    Tranced Posts: 165
    3yrs since mine started. Going back for another round of "umming and aaring."after
    wearing the portable ECG for another 48 hours.
    Diagnosis on my side had been cause = stress....
    Comes & goes but terrifying when it happens.... feels like heart attack. This leads to fear then panic attacks which = more stress.... GREAT!!!
    Never quite felt "right" since the first bout. On BP tabs ever since. Hopeing to be weaned off them in the next few months.
    Embrace cynicism…. see the bigger picture!!!!
  • Sadly it seems too often these days the doctors job is to make you go away. I've had an ulcer.... or something.... for years. I go to the Doctor (I've seen 3 and its the same old story. Pills. Last time I demanded to get my stomach checked out (my father died of stomach and throat cancer and had these same symptoms for 10 years).... Doctor said "well lets just try these pills first before our imaginattion runs away with us shall we?"

Prick