Bwlch y Groes

heavymental
heavymental Posts: 2,076
From Bala, whats the nicest ride to incorporate the Bwlch? I'm thinking of doing a loop from Bala, up to the Bwlch, to Lake Vyrnwy, Hirnant, Llangynog and back to Bala. Would that be better in reverse? And gogs, whats that like as a ride generally speaking?

Comments

• Hi , I normally do the Bwlch from Bala and come up Aberhirnant at least once a week, after a days work mind, and I think its a great route, I sometimes do the loop you suggest and that's around 40 miles long, that route is a little long for an evening ride but fine for the weekend, if a little short but it has plenty of climbing.
    I think it is better this way around because you get to do climb the Bwlch and towards the end you get to do the Llangynog climb then its a nice fast descent back to Bala. Road surfaces are generally good, take care on some parts coming down the Bwlch to the lake, there are some steep bits and some loose chippings and blind bends, the road is quite busy on weekends, more so during the summer, also watch out for sheep on the road.
    Have fun if you do decide to do it.
  • Sounds good. Think I'll be doing that tomorrow then. Thanks for the info.
  • paul27
    paul27 Posts: 515
    Heavymental,
    How did the Bwlch go?
  • The Bwlch from Llanymawddwy is the one! :shock:
    I still have nightmares about doing it on my road bike!!!
    There would definitely have to be money on it to make me do it again!!! :lol:
  • Well, as it turns out we fancied a slightly longer ride so we headed for Portmeirion instead and the Bwlch remained unconquered. Although we had a nice ride it was a bit dissapointing as we got to Portmeirion only to find you had to pay £7 to get in. We hadn't realised it was a private estate! We wanted to get a sarnie and head back so went to a shoddy cafe in Porthmadog instead.

It was a nice ride but not quite as good as we'd hoped. Partly because my mate dropped his arm warmer into the wheel and took a trip over the handlebars! He landed heavily on his shoulder so limped around the second half of the ride. From now on he will be stopping to put on his armwarmers :roll:

Dunno if it was just me but the motorists seem to pass alot closer than here in south west wales? A few times cars passed within a few inches. Lovely area to ride in though and took the mountain road back from Llan Ffestiniog to Bala which was superb.
  • paul27
    paul27 Posts: 515
    Sounds like you may have had an easier time heading for the Bwlch, you're right
    the roads around Llan Ffestiniog are a treat.
    Hope your mate is ok, are you heading back to conquer the Bwlch?, if so are you going from Dinaw Mawddwy? Lets know how you get on.
  • Maybe one day but I won't be up that way again anytime soon. Lovely area for a ride though so will take the bike next time and do the Bwlch route.