LangerDan Posts: 6,132
edited September 2008 in Pro race
Leipheimer 16th at the first checkpoint

Get the finger out, baldy!
'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    I'll confess now to being surprised at how many people picked him in PTP - did you not notice that he has just finished a 3 week GT? He'll be knackered.
  • Goodmorning/afternoon guys!
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    andyp wrote:
    I'll confess now to being surprised at how many people picked him in PTP - did you not notice that he has just finished a 3 week GT? He'll be knackered.

Or on top form !!! He won the last time trial in the Vuelta, good afternoon Dawn.
  • stfc1
    stfc1 Posts: 505
    Is there somewhere this can be followed online by someone who is supposed to be working?
  • I'm one of those who thought Levi had a good chance.

I know you're exhausted, Levi, but you can do it!!!!! GO! GO! GO!!!

Sorry for the outburst! LOL!
  • LangerDan
    stfc1 wrote:
    Is there somewhere this can be followed online by someone who is supposed to be working?

http://live.cyclingnews.com/?id=latest

I don't know where you can get picture coverage.
  • andyp
    He won the last time trial at the Vuelta because he was hoping Contador had a bad day and he might take over the lead. His form will have waned since Sunday.

Consider also that he's racing against guys who've prepared specifically for this event, i.e. shorter, higher intensity training sessions.
  • andyp
    You can get live video and audio from the BBC website.
  • http://www.cyclingfans.com/ has several links for live streaming (both sides of the pond) if that's what you mean, Dan.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    pat1cp wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    Or on top form !!! He won the last time trial in the Vuelta, good afternoon Dawn.

Riding a GT is great to get you in top form for a one day race, but you need a week or more of relative rest to reach that top form. That's why Bettini and Boonen stepped out. Leipheimer won the last time trial against opposition equally tired after three weeks racing.
  • stfc1
    stfc1 Posts: 505
    Thanks everyone! Now, if anyone wants to make me a cup of tea while I settle down to watch...

:D
  • I'll make you some tea if you make me a cup of strong coffee. :wink:
  • how's Armstrong doing ;)
  • LangerDan
    1 Bert Grabsch (Germany) 52.01.60 (50.407 km/h)
    2 Svein Tuft (Canada) 52.44.39
    3 David Zabriskie (United States Of America) 52.53.87
    4 Levi Leipheimer (United States Of America) 53.07.02
    5 Gustav Larsson (Sweden) 53.07.44
    6 Stijn Devolder (Belgium) 53.17.01
    7 Tony Martin (Germany) 53.17.86
    8 Janez Brajkovic (Slovenia) 53.26.76
    9 David Millar (Great Britain) 53.26.86
    10 Sylvain Chavanel (France) 53.27.42
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    andyp wrote:
    Well, he did better than your pick :wink: What happened to Mike Rogers - was he on the leaderboard at any time? I thought he'd do quite well, but didn't think he had the win in him today.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Not exactly a who's who of world cycling but well done to Grabsch. Remind me where he's going for 2009?
  • Kléber wrote:
    Not exactly a who's who of world cycling but well done to Grabsch. Remind me where he's going for 2009?

Is he going anywhere? Staying at Columbia no? Though I guess he's probably been linked to Milram at some point, just like anyone else with a German accent who wears lycra.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Kléber wrote:

Is he going anywhere? Staying at Columbia no? Though I guess he's probably been linked to Milram at some point, just like anyone else with a German accent who wears lycra.

If that's true, Milram will certainly be the team to watch next year, if Mrs Calvjones will let me :D

Strava is not Zen.
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Enjoyed that - pretty interesting podium too.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154
    If any of you are wondering who Svein Tuft is (and I only heard about him very recently) - he's quite a unique and interesting character.

Here's an article about which is worth a read

http://www.bcsportsbeat.ca/More/olympian_svein_tuft_story_719.htm[/url]
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • I noticed that Millar had his head bowed an awful lot during that time trial, with his aero helmet sticking up in the air a bit. Surely for those to work efficiently, you have to keep your head raised and the tail of the helmet down flat against your neck/ back?And surely he would know this?
  • Bronzie
    Patrick1.0 wrote:
    And surely he would know this?
    He should do - I've noticed this before with him. Just a habit he's picked up I think, but as you say, he'd do well to keep his head up the whole ride.
  • Bronzie
    RichN95 wrote:
    If any of you are wondering who Svein Tuft is (and I only heard about him very recently) - he's quite a unique and interesting character.
    Interesting article - he sounds very much like Graeme Obree.
  • Great result for Devolder. GT winner in the making?
  • Patrick1.0 wrote:
    I noticed that Millar had his head bowed an awful lot during that time trial, with his aero helmet sticking up in the air a bit. Surely for those to work efficiently, you have to keep your head raised and the tail of the helmet down flat against your neck/ back?And surely he would know this?

Dave Z was doing it too, so I thought it must be something they've developed together in the wind tunnel. Not sure if Christian V V does it too.

P.S. Do you like the new nicknames for the Garmin C team, run by Johnny V?
  • Great result for Devolder. GT winner in the making?

I don't really get Devolder as a GT contender. Lots of people predicted a high finish in the TdF this year, but it would take something for a Tour of Flanders winner to stay up front on the big climbs. Devolder definitely went backwards pretty quickly in the Alps in this year's Tour (although I think I heard he had a cold or something)