Tour of Dartmoor

fizz
fizz Posts: 483
Is anybody else on here doing it ?

I'm signed up with a mate to do the shorter route.

Comments

• I am doing the long route! :shock:

Last year I did the short route and I think I made the right choice, I was underdressed and when I got onto the moors the rain, fog and cold bit into me and I felt lousy!

It is a VERY tough ride and I will be taking it easy, the second climb will leave you a gibbering wreck (or maybe that was just me?).

On the plus side there is (if I recall) a very fast descent later on and if the roads are okay I don't see any reason why some people could not approach 65-70 MPH!

It's a good event I just hope the weather holds.
  • fizz
    The weather forecast I think looks reasonable, but saying that is it worth tucking a base layer or something into my jersey pocket along with my rain jacket just in case it does get cold up on top of Dartmoor ?
  • I will be wearing a base layer anyway, it's not exactly a heatwave this time of year and I will decide on the day if my cape gets stuffed into my jersey pocket!

Like most of us, I don't really want to carry loads of 'gubbins' but I think I would rather be too warm than too cold! (I can always remove the base layer if it warms up).
  • fizz
    Ive been wearing mine underneath my jersey on the way in to work and the way home so I think I might just do that like you say I can always take it off.

I'm quite looking forward to it. Going to be a proper challenge for me I think.
  • Just seen this, and I'm going away this weekend - damnit, I'd love to have done this ride, being local etc. Are there any other good rides in the south west this autumn?

DMG
    Legs, lungs and lycra.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Just got home from Dartmoor, WHAT A KILLER !!

My legs are like jelly, weather for the best part was good though and the food at the second feeding station was like a wedding buffet!

How did everyone else do?
  • fizz
    Tough very tough. thats the hardest ride I've done.

Fantstic weather and route, really challenging. A bit foggy this morning though :shock:

No let up in the climbs out of the start point and wallop have some of that straight up and then kept going up.

I did the 83 miler and I'm glad I did manged to get a Bronze, but 20 minutes more and we wouldnt have got our bronze's, seeing as I've done naff all training for 5 months I'm really pleased.

Food stops were well placed and whilst the 2nd stop maybe was a bit wedding buffet like, plenty of it to go around.

Whole event felt really friendly everybody that overtook us was friendly and said hello and a few peeps asked us how were doing and spared a few seconds to offer some support. Much more friendly than the Tour of Wesex ride I did was.

Glad I invested in a compact I'd never have got up any of those on my double and I ended up walking on two of the climbs as it was.
  • LOL. yes very tough.

Even though there were some great descents, I couldn't help thinking that they never compensated for the hideous climbs. I pushed myself on the Cheddar challenge the week before and I don't think my legs had repaired properly, so I did suffer a little.

btw. My wedding buffet comment was a compliment, like you said plenty to go round and quite a spread eh?

Did you see what I mean about the sheep? those things are stupid, last year one jumped out and a girl hit it, I believe she was quite badly hurt.

Yes the early mist on the moors, I was glad I wore my base layer and arm warmers, once the mist cleared though I was treated to some great scenery.

I said last year "I won't do that one again" - because it killed me then!

I thought to myself whilst riding, "I won't do this one again!" but I probably will. :D
  • I did the 100 miles for the 2nd year in a row and must say that the low entry number do make sense considering how tough the course is. The first 5 miles are simply brutal, but what really got to me was the California cross loop and south brent area. I know these roads well and often avoid them for not being either hard or easy, but quite unentful and dull. I can live with my 6:55 time but know I would have done better going the other way!!
    You only need one!
    FGG #2909
  • fizz
    GrogerG wrote:
    btw. My wedding buffet comment was a compliment, like you said plenty to go round and quite a spread eh?

Sorry I my be-fuddled post ride daze I was a bit slow to pick that up :D When i got the feed stops on the Touf of Wessex they'd run out of quite alot. So it was nice they had plenty of stuff left, I'm guessing its because the entry list was far smaller though.

I've been round Wales and across Exmoor on my motorbike I know what the sheep are like so I was expecting it, we came round one bend after a drop and the road was full of cows and also blocked by a car trying to get round them. Worked out OK but could have been nasty.
  • Well done to all of you that finished. Results for the 103 miles are posted:

http://www.tourofdartmoor.com/results.html

82 mile route will be up ASAP..........
  • well done all who finished the tour, it looks by your comments that it was a hard sportive but at least the weather was OK. I was out on the route between Dartmeet and Princetown taking some pictures, I have posted a link to the album so please take a look and see if you are there. If you would like a copy of the picture click on the text MORE INFO on the right hand side pane and note the file name and then email me at foubi123@gmail.com I am offering the picture at £2.50 each if any one is interested, a nominal fee which will help to cover my costs. I look forward to hearing from you. I will email you back with instructions

http://picasaweb.google.com/foubi123/To ... r27092008#
  • I rode the 85 mile route and I have to say that the first half was very hard work. I had the support of my partner, Garry Pike, who laboured all day at my pace and I wouldn't have made it to Princetown without his support! I vowed that I would stay on my bike up every hill but had to get off on the first big climb - don't think this did much for my morale!
    I agree, the feed station at Princetown was a godsend. On leaving there I felt revived and ready to tackle the second half of the ride. This was a far better experience for me. I got my speed up and found my legs. My heart sank when I realised we were going up Wotter Hill but once there it wasn't as bad as I thought. From Ivybridge to the finish line I dug deep - knew I'd be disappointed if I failed to get a silver medal time - so with a sprint to the finish I made it with 6 seconds to spare! A very hard day in the saddle but I'll be back next year!!!