Kinesis Racelight TK

trevtherev
trevtherev Posts: 372
edited November 2008 in Road beginners
I'm thinking of buying the above bike as a winter trainer has anyone got one? It ticks all my boxes and had a great writeup in C+ earlier this year.
http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/Kinesis.htm

Is it worth paying extra for the 105 groupset and the fulcrum racing wheels.

"Cycling is like a church - many attend, but few understand."
http://www.flickr.com/photos/trevtherev ... 338579801/
www.runningfree.co.uk

Comments

• £150 is reasonable for the 105 and wheel upgrade. Seems a lot of dough for a winter bike to me but I like to spend my money on my best bike and not worry about my winter bike too much.
  • Build it yourself and get 105 and fulcrum 5s for well under £900

Buy the frame and forks for a whisker over £200

Groupset here for £256

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... goryId=159

£150 will get you fulcrum 5s from wiggle.

£150 on finishing kit and you're laughing. It's also more fun this way.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I just got one from Epic. 105 groupset incl brakes, Shimano RS10 wheels, pedals and sks mudguards.

I know I could've done it cheaper building it myself, but I was happy to pay them to do it.

Apart from the test rides before purchase I've only had time for a quick 12 mile loop since I picked it up, so I can't really give you a meaningful review.

Prior to this I was riding a light, rigid, steel framed mtb on slick tyres. Compared to this, the Racelight appears to weigh nothing, goes much faster up, down or on the flat, allows a more aero position and lots of places to put my hands, and because I have a triple I'm enjoying the closely spaced 12-25 cassette which allows me to maintain a near constant cadence.
  • I have just bought one of these.I went for tiagra rather than 105 as it was a winter bike.It is a really good bike.I paid under £500 from hewitts in leyland
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    It got a good review when compared to an enigma etape and condor fratello - mind the the fratello came top :wink: Review is HERE if you are interested.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • I have got a TK and use it for winter riding. I find it reasonably comfortable and quite responsive. Basically a good all round bike. I particually like the way that full mudguards fit and you can carry a rack if you want.
    It isn't a sluggish audax bike. I do 50 mile rides with a group and there is a lot of acceleration, hills, etc. The TK is great for that type of riding.
    I bought the frame and forks seperatly and put 105 on it. I had the wheels already. Good bike and I'm very happy with it.
  • This looks like my preferred option for the CTW scheme when it opens again at my place of work in December. The only really concern is I am unable to test drive as I believe my closest retail outlet is somewhere near Worcester!! and I live in Bristol. The racelight TK has a slightly sloping top tube so I presume that at 5ft 8ins I should go for the 51cm frame and that the 54 is slightly big. I know this is a rather blind question to ask but am i safe with the 51cm.....or am i being a bit of an idiot and I should make the effort to try a bike/frame before i buy.

www.runningfree.co.uk
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    trevtherev wrote:
    This looks like my preferred option for the CTW scheme when it opens again at my place of work in December. The only really concern is I am unable to test drive as I believe my closest retail outlet is somewhere near Worcester!! and I live in Bristol. The racelight TK has a slightly sloping top tube so I presume that at 5ft 8ins I should go for the 51cm frame and that the 54 is slightly big. I know this is a rather blind question to ask but am i safe with the 51cm.....or am i being a bit of an idiot and I should make the effort to try a bike/frame before i buy.

Just make sure you get the right size and if you can try beforehand then do so, only then will you know if it's the right bike for you. Get yourself measured to reiterate the correct size. And go to a decent lbs to get good service. All important stuff.
  • jswba
    jswba Posts: 491
    Another satisfied TK (with 105 group) owner here. I use the bike 12 months a year and have had no problems whatsoever. In fact, I love the bike almost as much as I love my wife (much to her annoyance). :wink:
  • trevtherev wrote:
    The racelight TK has a slightly sloping top tube so I presume that at 5ft 8ins I should go for the 51cm frame and that the 54 is slightly big. I know this is a rather blind question to ask but am i safe with the 51cm.....or am i being a bit of an idiot and I should make the effort to try a bike/frame before i buy.

I'm 5'8" and I've got a 57cm which fits me perfectly. If you can't try one before you buy it measure the top tube length of your current steep and compare with the geometry table below. Top tube length is far more important than ctc size.

http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/geometry.php
  • morrisje
    morrisje Posts: 507
    5'8 and using a 57cm toptube? Thats a long frame for your height. I'm 5' 11' and have the 57cm TK with a 10cm stem. Usual sizing is a 56cm for 5'11'' and I suppose 53 for 5'8''.
  • I think i'll take a trip to Epic bikes outside Worcester to get the size right...can't get the bike until Dec so will have to pretend to the wife that we are going on a little shopping trip.....oh look there a large cycle shop :wink:

www.runningfree.co.uk
  • keef66
    That's what I did; visited Epic cos I could tie it in with a business journey. Fitted me up on the 54cm demo bike and concluded I'd need the 51. (I'm 5'6" but with relatively long legs / shorter torso, so the 54 felt too stretched out)

Be warned; I was in there for two and a half hours!

No other shops in the area, but the lovely Kyre Park National Trust property is right next door.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Any TK owners have any thoughts on whether the TK could be TT'd on? - I'm thinking in terms on clip-on aero bars and getting an "ok-ish" "low-ish" front end - obviously it's not "TT Frame low" at the front end - but in terms of a reasonable £250 all-rounder (even for a Winter frame) it seems it might do most things "ok". Obviously, a fast-forward seat-post could be used to steepen the seat angle.

((I've looked at a few pics and the TopTube looks horizontal-ish (can't see the head tube length very well??))

(Thinking of upgrading my Ribble Winter frame to a TK)
  • keef66
    On my 51 the head tube isn't very long, and because I have quite a bit of seat post out, I have a couple of spacers beneath a flipped stem to get the bars to a comfortable height. If I lost the spacers and had the stem pointing downwards I'd be heading towards a TT type posture. Not that I've ever ridden a TT. At my age I think it would be dangerous to ride around with my @rse higher than my head.
  • i have a racelight t the shape was designed just for me im sure. i have been thinking about getting a tk for the 09 season.