New user with Giant SCR 2.0

gnps
gnps Posts: 4
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
Just registered so thought I'd introduce myself. I'm from Bedfordshire and have had my nice new Giant SCR 2.0 since beginning of August. Had a lot of problems finding anyone who had one in stock until eventually buying from CycleSurgury in their new(ish) Kings Cross store.
Last week took it for its free service which they did in an hour allowing me to use the day doing a loop round London. I followed the Regents Canal towpath and joined national cycle route 1 to the Isle of Dogs and through to Greenwich. Then followed national cycle route 4 west as far as Lambeth Bridge. Then via Buck Palace, The Mall, The Strand and Covent Garden back to Kings Cross. Lots of detours for photography made it a 24 mile trip.
The SCR 2.0 was excellent at all times as it was on a cycling holiday round Norwich equiped with panniers. Getting the miles up on weekend rides. Would definately recommend the SCR.
Regards, Nigel.
- Raleigh Voyager 21 Hybrid (1998)
- Giant SCR 2.0 (2008)

Comments

• Just bought the SCr 1.5 on Monday so looking foreward to receiving it soon then racking up some mileage.
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • just got scr 3 had it 1 week and cant keep off it , first ever road bike and its so quick it scares me !!!!
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Welcome to the forum from a fellow SCR2 owner. I've been very pleased with mine so far, excellent value for money. I got it mid July and I'm glad I did as the LBS have been struggling for stock ever since.

I might to look to upgrade the tyres after the winter and possibly the saddle too, which is a little on the soft side.

I'm from near Norwich so it's interesting you had a cycling holiday in my area. Did you find some good routes? Bet you didn't come across many hills!
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • mozejo
    mozejo Posts: 115
    I've had mine for nearly 2 years now and have to say really enjoyable to ride. Unfortunately spends most of the time on commmute duty in London but on few occasions I've used it on mor open roads really great fun. Only thing that has gone wrong is that it needs a new headset and CycleSurgery didn't have one in stock. Lots of punctures but replaced the Kenda with an Armadillo and no problems since.

Enjoy.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    Welcome.

It's nice to see people enjoying their bikes (not restricted to Giant owners BTW).

My SCR 2, bought last November, has been commuting daily and doing a 10 mile TT since May (the latter have ended for the season now). I have mixed feelings about subjecting it to salt and snow over the winter but we'll see...
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Hello from another SCR2 owner.

About 1,000 happy miles on mine since the beginning of the year after a short break from cycling (20 years !!!).

I do feel the need to "pimp" up my tires though, the Kenda Kontenders do seem kinda chunky.

Enjoy
    Wind. Cold. Rain. Pick two.
  • gnps
    gnps Posts: 4
    Carl_P wrote:
    Welcome to the forum from a fellow SCR2 owner. I've been very pleased with mine so far, excellent value for money. I got it mid July and I'm glad I did as the LBS have been struggling for stock ever since.

I might to look to upgrade the tyres after the winter and possibly the saddle too, which is a little on the soft side.

I'm from near Norwich so it's interesting you had a cycling holiday in my area. Did you find some good routes? Bet you didn't come across many hills!

We did 3 days around Norwich. Day 1 we followed national cycleroute 1 out to Reepham and then the Marriots Way (I think) to Aylesham (a bit bumby for an SCR2 but it coped). Then back along the railway to Buxton before heading south back to Norwich. Day 2 we headed for Wroxham via the back roads and the Woodforde Brewery at Woodbastwick. Day 3 was a short ride along route 1 in the other direction to the Surlingham Ferry pub. Don't believe the bad reviews of the pub. It changed hands earlier this year and the welcome and the food were both excellent. The weather was very good so didn't have much time to do the Elephant tour but seeing a few of them made it a memorable trip to Norwich. It was mostly flat but I was surprised how hilly Norwich is - I dubbed it the Norfolk Alps! :-) I think its a good base for a cycling holiday.
    Regards, Nigel.
    - Raleigh Voyager 21 Hybrid (1998)
    - Giant SCR 2.0 (2008)
  • simon_e
    I do feel the need to "pimp" up my tires though, the Kenda Kontenders do seem kinda chunky.
    Welcome bigfella.

The Kenda tyres are OK, a widish 26mm. Stacks of choice in 23mm. For good allrounders with some puncture-resistance I'd suggest Vittoria Rubino Pro, Schwalbe Stelvio or Michelin Krylion Carbon (the last once it's back in stock). If you fancy spending a bit extra look at Michelin Pro 3 Race, Schwalbe Ultremo or Continental GP4000S Black Chilli.

And a track pump, if you don't already have one. I wish I'd bought mine earlier.
  • Hey there,

I have to admit, I don't think the Kenda 26's are that bad. I replaced them with Michelin Oriums which seem to handle the rough roads quite well, but performance gains are negligible. They are available in blue which look really cool, especially with my light blue handle bar tape.

Cheers
    Pedro
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • SCR Pedro you've seen right through me. I was only considering the Pro 3 Race tyres as you can get them in blue :oops:

Think it goes back to not owning a Vauxhall Nova as a youth

Blue bar tape, now there's an idea...

Pimp My Scr
    Wind. Cold. Rain. Pick two.
  • Vittoria Rubino Pro are available in blue. They do seem better than the Kendas.
    100% ME!
    Do you think I would be this bad on drugs?
  • simon_e
    Vittoria Rubino Pro are available in blue
    Just bought a pair (all black) after reading good things. They are noticeably lighter than the Kendas but have a definite 'tough layer under the skin' feel. I'm pretty sure they will be better than typical OE tyres like the Kontender.
  • Simon E wrote:
    Welcome bigfella.

The Kenda tyres are OK, a widish 26mm. Stacks of choice in 23mm. For good allrounders with some puncture-resistance I'd suggest Vittoria Rubino Pro, Schwalbe Stelvio or Michelin Krylion Carbon (the last once it's back in stock). If you fancy spending a bit extra look at Michelin Pro 3 Race, Schwalbe Ultremo or Continental GP4000S Black Chilli.

The Kenda tyres that come with the SCR range are pretty poor - no puncture protection, and quite flimsy. To be honest, they are very low spec for an otherwise quality bike range.

I changed to Continental GP4000's on my SCR1 (700 x 25c size) and what a difference. The grip is better, less rolling resistance, and no punctures, yet!

Chain Reaction are doing them for £21.99 at the moment - bargain!