Lance rides in TDU 2009 - Cool!

azzurribike
azzurribike Posts: 58
edited September 2008 in The bottom bracket
The Tour Down Under in Adelaide attracts some of the biggest names in world cycling. And there's no bigger name than Lance Armstrong who in 2009 will compete in Australia for the first time in his comeback race. Don't miss this opportunity to see the seven time Tour de France winner doing what he does best.

Lance Armstrong has confirmed that he will make his official comeback to road cycling racing at the 2009 Tour Down Under.
I used to play Hockey but now I ride.... one day like the wind :)

Comments

• Lets' hope so - i think this will be great for cycling which is starting to make a real comeback after so many recent years of bad press.

What will Contador do though - too many chefs...
    "Pain is temporary...
    ... If I quit, however, it lasts forever. "

Lance Armstrong
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...great news, you lucky Aussies! There's even a whisper that he has been invited to ride the Tour of Britain next year...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • Has there been any news about which team he will be riding for? Or is he starting a completely new outfit?

If he is coming back to spread the 'cancer' word should he dip into his own pockets and finance his own team riding under the 'cancer' banner?
  • Has there been any news about which team he will be riding for? Or is he starting a completely new outfit?

If he is coming back to spread the 'cancer' word should he dip into his own pockets and finance his own team riding under the 'cancer' banner?

I'd imagine his pockets are reasonably deep, too, so he could put up at least part of the cash required; there is already a precendent for a cancer charity using a cycling team to promote its work, too, Team Marie Curie (including former national 'cross champ Chris Young) having figured strongly on the off-road scene in Northern England for a good few years.
    As it is, Armstrong looks to be re-forging his old partnership with Bruyneel and heading for Astana.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    Has there been any news about which team he will be riding for? Or is he starting a completely new outfit?

Astana, as reported on BR yesterday: http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/l ... tana-18688
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    ChrisLS wrote:
    There's even a whisper that he has been invited to ride the Tour of Britain next year...
    At this rate the ToB will get a reputation for being the race where dopers come to rehabilitate their reputations, what with Hamilton, Di Luca and Petacchi all riding this year. :roll:
  • Jeff Jones wrote:
    Has there been any news about which team he will be riding for? Or is he starting a completely new outfit?

Astana, as reported on BR yesterday: http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/l ... tana-18688

Ah - welcomed back into his old DSs arms! That will really fuel the 'did he, didn't he' arguement!
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ChrisLS wrote:
    There's even a whisper that he has been invited to ride the Tour of Britain next year...

AndyP wrote:
    At this rate the ToB will get a reputation for being the race where dopers come to rehabilitate their reputations, what with Hamilton, Di Luca and Petacchi all riding this year.

...I wasn't aware Lance Armstrong was a doper...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    If that's the case then I've got a bridge I'm looking to sell...