Viking Challenge

BlackSpur
BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
edited October 2008 in MTB rides
Anyone doing it this year? I rode the route on Sunday with a group of crazy-fit roadies and decided my fitness isn't up ti it this time around. I've now set myself the target of doing it next year so I'm planning on doing some training over the next year. I have an extra long summer next/this year because of study leave, so I'll have no excuses not to get some fitness sessions in!
"Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs

Comments

• what is the Viking Challenge??
    Republic of Lithuania
  • Was thinking of doing it but now you've got me worried. What were the rutted sections of the Viking Way like? I've only ridden those sections in the dry but if fvery wet, I imagine they'd be pretty deadly!

Also sounds like I need to get some exercise in.....quick!
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    T'was very wet and muddy, but they've cut down the bushes on one side of the ruts, so you can ride around the worst of it. Very easy to puncture when riding through the dead bushes/trees on the ground though! I managed with very little in the way of slipping on Kenda Small Block Eights.

Dr Nosh - The Viking Challenge is an annual charity bike ride that, for the most part, follows a path calles the Viking Way, a very straight, deeply rutted path. The route is through Lincolnshire/Leicestershire, with a 50k and a 30k route. Normally around 1000 riders take part each year.
    More info here
    http://www.granthamjournal.co.uk/sport/Are-you-ready-for-the.4476034.jp
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • OllyUK
    OllyUK Posts: 230
    I'll be there. :D

Just hope the weather isnt too bad. I'm aiming to be at registration v. early so if it is very muddy, I wont get stuck behind pile ups/ the track won't be too churned up
  • I'll be there too, i only live 8 miles away from redmile so its well convinient.

I plan to set off about 15 mins after the start, before the masses but after the serious bunch....
  • i'll tell you all this for nothing, this is going to be one of the muddiest yet.... HAHA will be mental and muddy!
  • Chobber
    Chobber Posts: 38
    jammieeeee wrote:
    i'll tell you all this for nothing, this is going to be one of the muddiest yet.... HAHA will be mental and muddy!

And it certainly was.............fun though!
  • haha, it took me a hour hour longer than last year, and i thought i was fitter!

must have been that damn mud