Carrying identification.

2»

Comments

• neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    I hate to wish the worst on myself but you never know and at least being prepared is better than being left there.
    Fortunately in the UK and most of Europe that's still very unlikely to happen - if you're badly enough hurt not to be able to help yourself anyone with any sense is going to call the ambulance before they call your family, and the medics aren't going to ask questions. The U.S. is a different matter though... Obviously it's a good idea to carry ID so that your family can be contacted, but it's unlikely to make much difference to your survival unless you have a medical condition the emergency services should know about.

On second thoughts, a very good reason for carrying ID is to make it easier for the doctors to get permission to use your organs if you don't make it, and generally to save them hassle...

I suppose the easiest thing to do is just carry a bank/credit card, also useful if you need cash. Can banks easily give details of next of kin to emergency services?
  • I think Data protection prevents this.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • neeb
    You'd think they'd have exceptions for emergency services in certain circumstances. After all, the police can get the banks to provide information if they suspect a crime. But with data protection, common sense doesn't seem to be the order of the day... :wink:
  • I ordered and received these http://www.iceideas.co.uk/sports-id-bands-63-p.asp and while I am happy to pay for something that may someday save my life, IMHO I find it difficult to justify the price.
    They are basically a velcro strip with a card insert which you write your personal details on.
    On the flip side they are easy to wear, reflective and weigh next to nothing.
    If I`m in a position one day where I can`t speak for myself, this might just be the best money I ever spent though.
    Somethings gotta go wrong, `cause I`m felling way too damn good - Nickelback.
  • neeb
    Why do you think it might save your life, do you have any allergies to medicines or other medical conditions that paramedics would need to know about? I'm not being nosey :wink: (yes will do), it's just that I'm a bit suspicious of some of these companies charging for a service which is useful (you might want your relatives to know quickly if you are in an accident) but marketing it on the basis that it's going to save your life, which for most people it probably won't.
  • No I don`t have any known allergies, but I figured that it would cut out time by having details ready to read already on me rather than emergency crews having to find out.
    I only put details like blood group,address and contact numbers on it.
    I agree that the ideal solution would have been for a govenment or sporting agency to provide these free of charge but while I wait for that to happen I`ll wear my band.
    Somethings gotta go wrong, `cause I`m felling way too damn good - Nickelback.
  • whyamihere wrote:
    By the way, I personally go for dog tags from http://www.dog-tags.co.uk. This is purely because the RoadID has a fabric wrist strap, which I know from having a fabric watch strap as a kid will stick after a few rides. The dog tags are under a fiver for a pair of personalised tags, with free postage.

I use these as well. Cheapest and easiest option in my opinion. I just have name, date of birth and the emergency contact number of my partner. I don't have any allergies or medical conditions so I think that's all of the information anyone would need. I have one on my main set of keys and the other one is on a bright coloured lanyard that I wear around my neck with the back door key on it whenever I am out running or cycling.

I also carry a cheap basic payg mobile with both ICE and Home numbers in it.

I know it's a bit morbid but I have always thought about what would happen if I was knocked down and left in the road by a car that didn't stop or if I just collapsed whilst out running. At least with some form of i.d I know that if the worst was to happen at least my nearest and dearest would be informed sooner rather than later.

As I ride and run alone, I always leave a map of my route and an estimated return time. If I am going to be later than this for whatever reason I always call.
  • I have just ordered some of these ....

http://www.cramalert.co.uk/

They look cool, but does it say anywhere on the site how much re-registering costs after the first year. Not sure what I might be letting myself in for with Cramalerts.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    whyamihere wrote:
    By the way, I personally go for dog tags from http://www.dog-tags.co.uk. This is purely because the RoadID has a fabric wrist strap, which I know from having a fabric watch strap as a kid will stick after a few rides. The dog tags are under a fiver for a pair of personalised tags, with free postage.

+1, wot I have.

one has name, dob and area of residence on one

Other says -
    History of DVT
    No allergies - Donor
    NOK (tel no..)
    Save the bike!
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I use one of these:
    http://www.roadid.com/Common/default.aspx?referrer=4252&gclid=CICN9PzHgKUCFWr92Aod20qqgg
    I have my name, post code, home phone number, other half's mobile number, Dad's mobile number and blood type on it.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • 1_reaper
    1_reaper Posts: 322
    call me sad but i wear my (ex)Army dog tags and my mobile has contact No's in if it all goes tits up
  • lucan
    lucan Posts: 339
    I'm not sure I see the point in these things.

Try this scenario: Man is knocked off bicycle. He is either too badly injured to tell paramedics who he is or he's dead. If he's alive the priority will be to stabilise his condition and get him to hospital. He's not going to be given blood based on what it says on a bracelet, card or anything else in his possession but on the tests that are done by the professionals. Contacting relatives is going to be some way down the list of priorities. It's likely that the police will get a call from a worried wife or other family member and they will put 2 and 2 together (unless it's been cyclists carnage day and they've got more than one seriously injured cyclist incident ongoing).

If no-one rings the police to report you missing it's cos they never liked you anyway and carrying your ID isn't going to make them like you now.

:cry:
    Summer: Kuota Kebel
    Winter: GT Series3
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Tell that to Steve Crams family!!

I wear a road ID interactive dog tag. A few £ gives peace of mind
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Lucan wrote:

Try this scenario: Man is knocked off bicycle. He is either too badly injured to tell paramedics who he is or he's dead. If he's alive the priority will be to stabilise his condition and get him to hospital. He's not going to be given blood based on what it says on a bracelet, card or anything else in his possession but on the tests that are done by the professionals. Contacting relatives is going to be some way down the list of priorities. It's likely that the police will get a call from a worried wife or other family member and they will put 2 and 2 together (unless it's been cyclists carnage day and they've got more than one seriously injured cyclist incident ongoing).

If no-one rings the police to report you missing it's cos they never liked you anyway and carrying your ID isn't going to make them like you now.

:roll:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • floosy
    floosy Posts: 270
    Always carry a bank card, drivers license and at least a £5 note.. ohh and mobile phone with home on it...

Dave.
  • I have a dogtag permanently attached to the chest strap of my Garmin. It's always made me wonder why they don't come as standard with a section in the strap you can write on just like an inbuilt Road ID.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    They can always identify my remains from the serial number inscribed on the metal pin inserted in my arm. 8)
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    Best thing is to commit a crime very young and they'll have you fingerprints on the the PNC. Less hassle than having to carry around any documents..well that's what i told the jury anyway...your mileage may vary.
    "Coming through..."
  • Lucan wrote:

So you'd prefer a nurse to be trying to find out who you are than attending to what they are trained to do?

Finding out who you are and therefore accessing your patient notes is vital to various areas of your treatment. Allergies, underlying health problems, recent illnesses or operations etc.

Is it really asking that much to help both the NHS and the police out by carrying some for of ID?
  • As my phone is locked (Iphone), I have created a .jpg as the Lock screen giving an emergency contact number!
    Its also useful should I lose the phone as it gives the finder a number to call (should they wish!!!)
  • TuckerUK wrote:
    Best thing is to commit a crime very young and they'll have you fingerprints on the the PNC. Less hassle than having to carry around any documents..well that's what i told the jury anyway...your mileage may vary.

You don't need to even commit a crime nowadays, just get yourself arrested and they'll take both your fingerprints and your DNA.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • DCowling
    DCowling Posts: 769
    Lucan

Hi , How are you hope you are well and have a good weekend

Just thought I would try and cheer you up as you seem to have low self esteem

Cheer up, somebody must care eough about you to want to know if you have been hurt
  • RDB66
    RDB66 Posts: 492
    I've just ordered one of them Tags on ebay Stan. Thanks for the link.

Cheap at 4.99.
    A Brother of the Wheel. http://www.boxfordbikeclub.co.uk

09 Canyon Ultimate CF for the Road.
    2011 Carbon Spesh Stumpy FSR.
  • mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    Easy. Wallet with driving licence in it. haven't a clue where my mobile is and it doesn't work everywhere anyway.
  • Giro provide an address sticker for use inside the helmet. Surprised that this hasn't been mentioned.

It's essential that you always have some form of identification on you when out cycling. Over 20 years ago a friend of mine collapsed and died from a heart attack when returning home from a long ride. He had no identification whatsoever, only cash in his pocket, and was finally identified, after several hours delay, from a bike shop frame sticker on his re-sprayed bike.

From that day I've always carried identification.
  • Following on from this thread I have just tried to purchase a CRAMALERT pack but whenever I put them in my basket and go to checkout it just empties my basket - has anyone else had this problem (or even any success in purchasing off the website)?