Microsoft Outlook problem

DaveyL
DaveyL Posts: 5,167
edited January 2010 in The bottom bracket
I use Outlook at work and my e-mail is on an Exchange server.

I got Outlook for my laptop at home and tried to configure Outlook to read my work e-mail. Of course, thanks to Microsoft's genius default settings, it took all my messages off the Exchange server (and somehow it thinks it's a POP server...). I've now checked the "leave messages on the server" box, and it is now doing so, but how do I return the ones it took off the server at first?

(PS It's Outlook 2007)
Le Blaireau (1)

Comments

• oxon
    oxon Posts: 35
    speak to your IT team :wink:
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    You can delete all the messages received since you told it to leave messages on the server, leaving you with jus tthe ones that are deleted.

Use the file / import and export menu to save them as a .pst file, which allows you to import them on another machine using the same menu.

The bad news is that your work probably stores your personal messages file on the server, and might not allow local storage of personal message files, best to speak to them.

The easy workaround is simply to forward them all to yourself so they are delivered again.

(Disclaimer - I am not an IT person but this has worked for me in the past!)
  • You could ask IT to restore your mailbox from backup but this would lose any newer messages. As others stated either:

just forward the messages back to yourself

or save them as message format files and store them back on your network drive.
    Be nice to grumpy old men (or else!)
  • You could ask IT to restore your mailbox from backup but this would lose any newer messages. As others stated either:

just forward the messages back to yourself

or save them as message format files and store them back on your network drive.
    Be nice to grumpy old men (or else!)
  • DaveyL wrote:
    I use Outlook at work and my e-mail is on an Exchange server.

I got Outlook for my laptop at home and tried to configure Outlook to read my work e-mail. Of course, thanks to Microsoft's genius default settings, it took all my messages off the Exchange server (and somehow it thinks it's a POP server...). I've now checked the "leave messages on the server" box, and it is now doing so, but how do I return the ones it took off the server at first?

(PS It's Outlook 2007)
    I often works with other programs and files too.Yesterday I see one interesting utility-read .ost file,I found it on a forum and tried.Application solved my old problems with mails very quickly and for free.I saw how it can store emails, contacts and other information in files of different formats,view the contents of *.ost file without Microsoft Outlook client.
  • snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272
    robbarker wrote:

Use the file / import and export menu to save them as a .pst file, which allows you to import them on another machine using the same menu.

The bad news is that your work probably stores your personal messages file on the server, and might not allow local storage of personal message files, best to speak to them.

I agree , export to a .pst file I would think your IT team would be only too happy to have people store their messages locally. Keeping messages on the server causes operational problems ... server needs extra disk space , backups take too long , users can't get at their messages if/when the server is down ... etc

Snake

My Library
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    snakehips wrote:

I agree , export to a .pst file I would think your IT team would be only too happy to have people store their messages locally. Keeping messages on the server causes operational problems ... server needs extra disk space , backups take too long , users can't get at their messages if/when the server is down ... etc

No exchange admin worth anything would think using a PST file is a good idea. Also in general for an infrastructure dept. it's a lot more desirable for mail to be stored on a backed up SAN rather than a file someone has on their non-backed up laptop.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Ok, the default setup for outlook with exchange (if set up correctly) wouldn't be to download all your emails to a local store.

If you go into Account Settings -> Email, Does it show the accunt type as pop? If so then you have just set it up completely wrong. You can drag and drop the emails back to your mailbox, but you need to get it set up as an exchange account properly first. How you do that will depend on how your IT team has set up exchange.

If the Exchange account has been set up correctly you should see "Mailbox - your name" and "personal folders" on the left when you are in the mail view. You can drag and drop emails back from your personal folder to your mailbox
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Contact you IT department before fiddling on. I'm a server admin and used to work 2nd line support. Each company has they own procedures so I can't comment on yours. however, I'm not sure if you mean pst files or the actual exchange server.

Many companies use the webmail facility in Exchange for those working from home to cut down on support and then you'd sync back in the office later.

Hopefully if you have wiped out emails, they'll be a backup.

BTW, pst files are nasty horrible things. They corrupt over 2gb by default and our company refused to support them leading to the likes of me being shouted at daily when a user was told we couldn't help restore them :twisted:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Contact you IT department before fiddling on. I'm a server admin and used to work 2nd line support. Each company has they own procedures so I can't comment on yours. however, I'm not sure if you mean pst files or the actual exchange server.

Many companies use the webmail facility in Exchange for those working from home to cut down on support and then you'd sync back in the office later.

Hopefully if you have wiped out emails, they'll be a backup.

BTW, pst files are nasty horrible things. They corrupt over 2gb by default and our company refused to support them leading to the likes of me being shouted at daily when a user was told we couldn't help restore them :twisted:

That's a similar situation we had at my company until we configured the exchange server mailstores limits to 700mb and 200mb. Before the changes were implemented, some people had 6gb mailboxes. A total nightmare for the backup systems. Now we still have to educate our end users to limit the size of their archives as several have them have lost business critical data due to corrupt archives...
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

Not to mention inefficient as they store the mail twice.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    iainf72 wrote:

The great laugh with pst files is that even Microsoft don't support their own product! There's a small cottage industry grown up to support these horrible ghastly files :wink:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    iainf72 wrote:

meh....disks are cheap as chips.

at work, we store mail both on exchange, and a copy in the local box.

really handy if you don't always work in the office and don't always have net access when out and about.

Just set outlook to auto archive old items (just creates another/more pst files and an index for faster searching.) and the pst limit will never hit 2gig
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.