Skipping Chain

jamiedallow
jamiedallow Posts: 12
edited September 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All,

I've just started getting a problem with my chain 'skipping' but it stays within the same gear, jults very hard though - doesn't seem like cable suck as its not bouncing at all. I've had a new chain, new rear caseette and front rings about 3-4 months ago, just fitted a new chain today and had the free-hub replaced. The chain is still skipping. Seems to happen more in lower gears e.g. 5,6,7,8 but still happens sometimes in the higher gears. The shifts are crisp and don't lag or anything when the bike in on a stand and seem fine when riding aswell but the julting still happens. Any suggestions anyone? Its driving me mad not being able to ride!!!

Cheers

Jamie

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like you cassette could be too worn for the new chain.

Got a stiff link?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:

Got a stiff link?

All the links seem fine when spinning the pedals in reverse, doesn't make the rear mech move in any funny ways or anything. Also noticed that the rear gear cable has afew snapped bits, could this make a difference?

Thanks again
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nicklouse wrote:

Got a stiff link?

All the links seem fine when spinning the pedals in reverse, doesn't make the rear mech move in any funny ways or anything. Also noticed that the rear gear cable has afew snapped bits, could this make a difference?

Thanks again
    Yes. get it replaced.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

Got a stiff link?

Thanks again
    Yes. get it replaced.

Thanks very much will get it ordered now. Really apprechiate it!

Thanks

Jamie :)
  • Hi All,

Fixed the problem with a new middle chainring, new cassette and gear cable for good measure. Thanks again for the replys.

Jamie