Entrapment part 2

Harry B
Harry B Posts: 1,239
edited September 2008 in The bottom bracket
In LBS picking up new MTB post service (it's a long story but includes a useless bike shop near work and cycle to work scheme) and I spot a nice shiney fixed wheel bike. Now I've never had one of those and really fancy it, plus by changing the wheel around it becomes a single speed. It's under £400 so really quite reasonable. However how do I get it past the misses. My original plan was to say the LBS had a free to enter competition and I won it :D but then number 2 son informs me over the weekend that a mate of his works in said LBS and has commented how often "your Dad is in here spending money". This was said in earshot of wife :x

I could ask the LBS manager to sack my son's mate but that seems a bit harse what with the credit crunch and all. Any other suggestions???

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    How about growing some balls? :twisted:
  • Just tell her dude.... It'll save you the grief in the long run...
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    bury her under the patio like the Jordaches Laaa :wink:
  • Harry B wrote:
    My original plan was to say the LBS had a free to enter competition and I won it :D

Harry, you are absolutely hopeless at telling porkies :lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    It's time for a recap of bike price maths I think.

You start at £400.

It can be made into a singlespeed or a fixie, which means it's 2 bikes in one. It's now £200.

The lack of gears makes for better CV exercise, which means that you'll be healthier. It's now £100, tops.

Now for the clever bit. Find a bike which looks similar, but is actually ridiculously expensive. Compare the prices of your bike and that bike. This is how much you've saved, and can be subtracted from the price. If you've argued the point correctly, you should be about £1000 richer than you started, which is enough to get yourself another shiny new bike. :D
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Your mistake was taking the family with you when you collected your bike. You should keep this vice secret from the family.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Easy......Just buy it! :shock:
    Scenario 1:
    Take it home, walk straight up to the wife and tell her!.....
    Worst possible reaction?......A slap in the face, followed by some unrepeatable verbal abuse. But, the bike is already in the garage, end of....... :wink:

Scenario 2:
    Make wife a cup of tea, sit down and nicely try to justify buying another bike...
    Best possible reaction?......A polite but stern 'NO'!....Nothing gained! :oops:

Go on buy it!........I dare you..... :twisted: :twisted: :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • I have the ultimate excuse.

I just finished watching an old episode of Grey's Anatomy here in Spanish (somewhat reluctantly I might add :oops: ). It's the one where three people get attacked by a big bear... guts are spilled all over the place. Anyway bear with me here & excuse the pun at this point. So the story goes that one of the guys touched the baby bear "without thinking" & the mommy bear got angry... it turns out at the end of the episode this guy has some kind of brain tumour which makes him do spontaneous & inappropriate stuff like touch baby bears (and also laugh when he is told the news that he has been diagnosed with this condition).

So there you go. You have an untreatable brain tumor which causes you to do irrational stuff like buy bikes on a whim. :lol:
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Someone clever once said, "It is easier to gain forgiveness than approval..."

Buy now, pay less later :wink:
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs