secretsqirrel Posts: 1,759
edited September 2008 in Pro race
If LA joins.

To me, a no brainer.....

Stop LA
Keep Contador
Get rid of Bruyneel if necessary

Comments

• So where d'you reckon he's gonna go? Columbia?

If he wants to win the tour he's gonna need a good team who either have a weak GC contender or none at all.

Not many of those knocking about.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • contador vs armstrong could be bigger than hulk hogan vs andre the giant
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    contador vs armstrong could be bigger than hulk hogan vs andre the giant

Yeah, you know as much as some of the people running pro-cycling races, tv coverage want to complain about LA coming back, a showdown of Lance versus Contador would make them millions.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    It might make some money on a US TV channel, where you can watch sections of the coverage in between endless "commercials", but people in Europe - where 98% of the fans live - want to see a proper race, not some "awareness tour", nor the prospect of Bruyneel deciding who gets to attack first.

Personally I wil love it, I will love it Kevin Keegan-style, if Contador drops you-know-who. I've never been a fan of A.C. because of his Puerto links but if he moves to a better team and thrashes the Texan, that would be brilliant.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    I'd imagine his buy out clause is rather large. I would't hold my breath on this.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Contador will have to be a good little boy and carry the water bottles for Armstrong and hope it's only for one season.

+1 Kleber
  • victorponf
    victorponf Posts: 1,187
    I hope Contador go to Caisse or Rabobank if LA return. I´ll be a great show fighting each other, much more than in the same team (even Levi in another would be fantastic)
    If you like Flandes, Roubaix or Eroica, you would like GP Canal de Castilla, www.gpcanaldecastilla.com
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Look out Contador, Astana has made an offer to Lance:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/feedarticle/7819969
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Interesting how, during the Giro and the Tour, it was "Dertie" this and "Cerador" that. Nothing of the sort during the Vuelta though - how strange. Maybe those doubters have changed their minds and think Bertie is clean. Or maybe the old lightning rod is back and Bertie is no longer Public Enemy no. 1. Interesting.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • micron
    Or maybe some posters respected the fact that others were taking offence and toned it down a bit? My views on Contador haven't changed a bit bit there's no point in needlessly antagonising people, now is there?

I do love that Armstrong 'a great humanitarian' is a perfect fit for a team financed by one of the worst regimes in the world, though :wink:

BTW Equipe has an article where Contador talks about certain team members riding only for Armstrong if he signs for the team - do you think he means Rubiera who, after looking forward to his retirement, changed his mind a few days ago and signed with Astana for one more year...
  • DaveyL
    micron wrote:
    Or maybe some posters respected the fact that others were taking offence and toned it down a bit? My views on Contador haven't changed a bit bit there's no point in needlessly antagonising people, now is there?

Ah, just like with the Armstrong "debate". Er....
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    If I was a sponsor I'd have been on the phone with Bruyneel immediately to warn him not to even think of jeopardizing my investment's future for one season with LA. They'll end up in 2010 with LA re-retiring, Levi retiring, Klöden maybe retiring but at the very least signing elsewhere, Contador will be gone and the team will ride the Tour for Brajkovic.

Go Johann go! :roll:
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    micron wrote:
    My thoughts too. Plus I've been giving him the benefit of doubt for this year whilst waiting for the Damsgaard data, they keep promising but we have yet to see anything from the Dane. I still have a good idea who Dr Fuentes referred to in his notes with A.C.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Antonio Colom?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • DaveyL
    Kléber wrote:
    micron wrote:
    My thoughts too. Plus I've been giving him the benefit of doubt for this year whilst waiting for the Damsgaard data, they keep promising but we have yet to see anything from the Dane. I still have a good idea who Dr Fuentes referred to in his notes with A.C.

I guess it must just be a coincidence that he got slated during the Giro, the Tour and even the Olympics (yes, that's the last time a "Dertie"/"Cerador" remark was used on this forum), but then you charitable folks suddenly decided during the Vuleta to give him a break. And the end of the first week of the Vuelta (roughly) being when LA announced his comeback and all hell broke loose.

Giving him the benefit of the doubt and deciding to lay off? I never realised people here were so forgiving. Bertie must have a winning smile...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • micron
    I can't stand him but I also got sick and tired of being called a hater and getting personally attacked by certain posters here, simply because I used a few juvenile nicknames for their hero. It gets really wearing after a while having to defend your right to a difference of opinion.
  • I don't know why people are getting so worked up about, by this turn of events.
    People scoffed when they were told LA was coming back.
    Same thing when it was suggested what Bertie (Dertie for Davy) said publically, would soon change, when reality set in.

It's not surprising. Here's the US version of what Contador said, but actually didn't, during the As.com interview:-
    http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/09/ ... strong.php

No reign in Spain?

Katyusha.....any takers? :wink:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Its equally possible Bertie will stay where he is and Lances big announcement tomorrow is about a new squad with a newly recruited Bruyneel
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • leguape
    leguape Posts: 986
    Would it be unheard of for one squad to enter two teams in different kit? I'm sure I've heard of it happening before, I just can't remember where or when. Or ASO allowing a sort of "guest riders" team with riders given a free pass to ride for another team with the approval of their main sponsor (regional teams or national model type thing)?
  • leguape
    leguape Posts: 986
    Would it be unheard of for one squad to enter two teams in different kit? I'm sure I've heard of it happening before, I just can't remember where or when. Or ASO allowing a sort of "guest riders" team with riders given a free pass to ride for another team with the approval of their main sponsor (regional teams or national model type thing)?
  • It would make sense for Lance to start his own team, He likes to have complete control over every aspect of the team. Something i doubt he would completely get at Astana. But it would mean he has no hope of any real success (which of late he does seem to be playing down and talking up the whole spread the anti-cancer message, is anyone pro-cancer?). Any team LA starts up would be for only one year so not to many riders would be eager to sign that kind of contract. Though with Gerolstiner and Credit Agricole dropping out he probably could start a team, just not a very good one. Not very LA like, but none of this is. Id like to see Contador go to Caisse, Valverde really isnt a GT rider and they really dont have any one else, but they do have a strong team.
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • josd
    josd Posts: 107
    i think bertie to columbia makes more sense
    they have an incredibly strong team without a real GT contender
    sure, they have a commitment to Cavendish, but look at their squad this year
    kirchen, hincapie, lovkvist, hansen, and burghardt would all be good domestiques for contador, while ciolek hansen and eisel could help out cavendish
  • ahhhhmmmm i know michael rogers has had a crap season with injury and illness, but i think you could definately consider him a GC contender. He was with Rasmussen in 07 when he made his move and was effectively in yellow, then someone stacks it infront of him and that was the beginning of a shocker 12 months. Looks like his back now though and my bet will be that he will have a red hot crack at the World Time Trial. The question is can Columbia afford him and considering the stance on doping and the Berties sometimes shady past would they want him.
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • micron wrote:
    I can't stand him but I also got sick and tired of being called a hater and getting personally attacked by certain posters here, simply because I used a few juvenile nicknames for their hero. It gets really wearing after a while having to defend your right to a difference of opinion.

There, there.............. forums are like that. You put out a strong opinion and you get it back with interest.
  • micron wrote:

If you have a different opinion then you are very possibly going to have to defend it. Forums are like that, you put it out and you get it back.......sometimes with interest! :roll:

I hope Langerdan's right and that Lance gets his own team together. Although the star-struck Kazakh's seem to be keen on him.

I really don't understand why, a year after he took his money and walked away from Discovery Team, left all the staff and riders jobless, to be rescued by (and to rescue!) Astana, they would want him back. He has just seen the team dig its way out of a hole, have a very successful season all things considered, and now he wants to hitch a ride on the team bus, and be part of it all. Has he no conscience at all?
  • micron wrote:

If you have a different opinion then you are very possibly going to have to defend it. Forums are like that, you put it out and you get it back.......sometimes with interest! :roll:
    (Sorry double submission of this bit for some reason, couldn't delete the previous post, not rubbing it in Micron, honest :oops: )

I hope Langerdan's right and that Lance gets his own team together. Although the star-struck Kazakh's seem to be keen on him.

I really don't understand why, a year after he took his money and walked away from Discovery Team, left all the staff and riders jobless, to be rescued by (and to rescue!) Astana, they would want him back. He has just seen the team dig its way out of a hole, have a very successful season all things considered, and now he wants to hitch a ride on the team bus, and be part of it all. Has he no conscience at all?
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    micron wrote:

I remember disagreeing with you after the Giro but cant recall it getting personal about it. What i do remember is your somewhat obsessional hatred for lance/disco/astana/bertie et al.Seem to remember you were quite excited over Di Luca,Sella and Ricco.

cheers
    MG
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • micron
    I just didn't want to upset Arkibal anymore, thought he might have an aneuryism, bless him :wink: And, you know, going over the same old same old time and again can get just a teensy bit boring....I just wanted to make the point that it was possible to dislike Contador and Armstrong :wink:
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    I really can't believe that Bruyneel and Astana have insulted Bertie in this way. Thats low man!
  • micron
    Hey, MG, let's not make this all about me - then I might seem as egotistical and male menopausal as the Second Coming :wink:

Wasn't the rumour that Bruyneel had tied up Contador then told him about the deal with Armstrong. Contador was loyal to the team when he could have walked for his own glory - instead he has won Bruyneel the hat trick of Tours. He must be getting one almighty buy off to be the Texan's water carrier for next season - his credibility may now stand or fall by whether he remains loyal/stupid or walks out/does the sensible thing