Armstrong Moth

krakow
krakow Posts: 110
edited April 2009 in Road general
So, my long-promised new (old) frame arrived last week - it's an Armstrong Moth, from the 1950s I believe. It's Reynolds 531 and was stripped and repainted in cream enamel care of bagpusscp, from whom I bought it, and seems to have come out beautifully. I'm really pleased with it, it looks amazing, and I'm very excited about getting it on the road.

p629708722-2.jpg

I bought it to build up as a fixed-gear (having loved riding my Dawes singlespeed conversion for the past few months), so now the project really begins. I have the frame and fork, and bagpusscp also included a headset and stem. Thoughts, comments, suggestions, ideas etc. most welcome.

More photos here: http://krakow.zenfolio.com/p20748933

p1029834875-2.jpg

p728392115-2.jpg

Big big thanks to bagpusscp for the frame and for all his help and generosity along the way. The last photo is also his, by the way, from before the respray.

Comments

• GaryGkn
    GaryGkn Posts: 1,199
    Looks like it will make a lovely fixed or geared bike. Or both like in the old days. 5 speed one side fixed on the other.
  • http://www.isondistribution.com/ison/en ... t=WHHAATKD
    Yes in purple, yes in white. Sex wee.
    http://www.freshtripe.co.uk/Freshtripe/ ... 0Bits.html
    http://www.freshtripe.co.uk/Freshtripe/ ... 0Bits.html (in purple or natural tan)
    http://www.freshtripe.co.uk/Freshtripe/ ... 0Bits.html (Nitto 25.4 Coloured Alloy Riser Bar in gold)

Am I letting my plans out the bag early? I really want an old frame to build into some really pimpy town bike. Single not fixed, but you never know...
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Any developmemts/decisions?
    What wheel size is it? While excellent on a modern bike, I don't think those Halos would suit! If you want to run 700s in a 27" frame, then (whatever folk say!) old Weinmann c/ps will reach and if adjust carefully and fit V-brake blocks work just fine IMO/E. Wheels and c'set the key aspects - stem and bars are whatever suits you - in comfort!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • GaryGkn
    meagan - I am about to fix up a Falcon. I have Weinmann CP's and was wondering what to do for brake block? I am not that aware of V -brakes can you point me in the direction of a good quality pad that would work well on a fixed machine.

Much appreciated Gary
  • meagain
    Gary, I just use cheap one piece V-brake pads - no doubt expensive, e.g. cartridge ones, would be even better. The point of even cheap ones compared with original type blocks is that 1. greater contact area 2. shaped to follow curve of the rim 3. the dished cups/washers allow much more fine-tuning of alignment/toe-in etc and 4. softer compounds (I think). The last no doubt makes for a shorter life - but as a trade off may prolong YOUR'S!
    As to make/brand.... not sure really. On mtbs I don't rate Shimano blocks. Avids? Clarkes? Azonics?
    Hope that helps; if not, ask away!
    d.j.
  • GaryGkn
    Most helpful.

Many thanks!
  • krakow
    Sorry, I thought I had it set to receive emails when there was a reply, but it seems not.

I've now taken the frame into my LBS for them to source the necessary bits and build it up for me, as I'm genuinely incapable.

I'm going for 700C wheels, and have them doing Goldtec hubs on Mavic Open Pro rims (credit crunch be damned! - saving seems like a liability at the moment, I'm investing in bikes!).

For the chainset, some kind of track-type Miche was mentioned - I didn't really have any ideas on that front, so it was what they suggested - work's not really started yet though, so suggestions are more than welcome.
  • GaryGkn
    Miche are good!
  • meagain
    It's a nice enough frame, but I wouldn't personally throw " Goldtec/OPs" and "miche" c/set money at it!
    Whatever turns you on I guess!
    d.j.
  • krakow
    What would be some other cheaper options a few rungs lower down the ladder for the hubs/rims & crankset?

Are there any kind of standard choices for these things on a sliding scale of expense?

I ride 150-200 miles a week and am not the best at my maintenance, so my main criteria are reliability and longevity.

Looking at Outspoken Cycles for inspiration, for example, I see Miche Primato, Zenith (aka Formula, System Ex or IRO) & Suzue Pro-Max SB as cheaper hub options.
  • GaryGkn
    Miche could be a bit too modern looking you could go for a nice period looking alloy cotter less chain set?
  • krakow
    edited October 2008
    I'm not keen on the solid-looking black chainsets, and think that would look wrong, especially on the cream paint job, so I'm afraid that the Miche the LBS is meaning is like that and will have to drop by and annoy them yet again today to make sure.

I went in yesterday to ask about cheaper alternatives to the Goldtec/Open Pro wheels, and he offered Navigator track wheels, which I'd never heard of. However, looking them up online last night when I got home, I really didn't like the look of them at all (it's a deep-v type rim, in black with prominent white decals on it). I'm afraid that the guy is going to hate me when I go in again today to change my mind once again.

I'm thinking of going back to the Goldtec/Open Pro plan, in black, probably from betd (where they can be had for £225 delivered for the pair). This picture is my current inspiration:

remintonback_small.jpg
  • meagain
    For longevity/low maintenance rear what about the converted XT fronts using a bolt on sprocket? Seems way to go for 150-200 miles per weeks use to me.
    d.j.
  • krakow
    I'm not aware of those - any further details or links?
  • meagain
    Krakow, listed thus on ebay

Brand New Shimano TRACK HUB for BOLT-ON COG FIXED Wheel

I think that the seller also has a direct retail outlet "LondonFixieBikes"?

Stress I have no first hand experience of this set up - but the theory seems sound!
    d.j.
  • krakow
    Thanks, there's a listing for one at the moment, which links to their website with lots more details, so I'll take a read of that and see if the advantages over a more standard set up convince me.

I've been looking at Byercycles today as well, in particular at their handbuilt track wheels, which start at £128 for a pair of Zenith hubs on Mavic CXP22 rims. Any thoughts on or experience of these or their other wheel options?
    They also have some cheap FSA singlespeed chainsets and a not quite so cheap Stronglight. I might give them a phone for a chat next week if I get a chance.
  • Hi I've owned an Armstrong Moth since 1959 .. use it regularly .. hurting for good hp 27" tyres at moment. Hows your renovation going.

I have original Williams chain-set somwhere .. replaced most bits except GB brakes and handle-bars