Best groupset for XC

gcwebbyuk
gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
edited October 2008 in XC and Enduro
As a generalization, which is the best groupset for XC - SRAM X0 with a seperate chainset, or Shimano XTR?

Reasons... etc... discuss....

Have to say at the moment, I prefer the shifting technique of shimano to SRAM, still trying to get used to it! :oops:

Comments

• passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    LX and think yourself lucky!
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • gcwebbyuk
    They dont make them anymore though! :roll:
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Best?

Do you mean lightest, hardest wearing, stiffest, smoothest shifting or what?

Define what you want from the groupset & what you want to spend.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • gcwebbyuk
    Am not looking to buy ... just yet.... was just pondering what is the best overall as a whole groupset - if that makes sense?
  • Nodnol
    Nodnol Posts: 168
    XT are a great all rounder from the Shimano corner, but having gone X.9, I wouldn't go back.

I don't think there's a right answer to Shimano Vs. Sram argument, just opinion.
  • gcwebbyuk
    Thats what I was after an opinion and reasons etc.

What makes the x.9 better than the xt?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nothing.

do you want a sram action? or a shimano action? do you want to use the flappy brake/gear changers? or what about a twist grip.

What have you used?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    I find SRAM X9 gearing stays indexed much longer than Shimano XT.

To me that makes it better.

It's a bonus that I love the nice clicky action it has too.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    gcwebbyuk wrote:
    As a generalization, which is the best groupset for XC - SRAM X0 with a seperate chainset, or Shimano XTR?
    XTR is nice but it's questionable if it's worth the premium over XT for everyday XC.

I find that from new, the difference between XTR and XT equivalents is indistinguishable; it's only after some time that the durability of XTR gives it the edge. I've replaced the LX/XT bits on my bike with XTR as they've worn out, and the first XTR items are still going strong. I am also addicted to XTR grey :wink:
  • XT is solid dependable,reliable and great performer.
    XTR is all of the above.prettier on the eye and lighter in weight.yet heavier on the wallet!!! but you gets what you pay for. if money isnt a problem well its XTR for me.
    Using the KMC 9 SL chain.
  • passout
    omegas wrote:
    For durability Deore or LX

Agreed. I find Shimano more durable. Very little difference in performance levels.

XT is as good as anyone needs unless you are up to the expert or pro level, IMHO.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • gcwebbyuk
    Trouble is, I just bought some XTR pedals..... so the rest of the components dont look as good now!
  • .blitz
    gcwebbyuk wrote:
    Trouble is, I just bought some XTR pedals..... so the rest of the components dont look as good now!
    That's how it starts. I broke an XT shifter pod, bought an XTR equivalent and suddenly the brake levers looked sh*te... :wink:
  • gcwebbyuk
    But how much is a full groupset? And then should you buy the wheels too.... etc etc!
  • .blitz
    gcwebbyuk wrote:
    But how much is a full groupset? And then should you buy the wheels too.... etc etc!
    I wouldn't buy the whole groupset, it looks too bling :)
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    That's me buggered then. :lol:

Imo the best xtr components would be the shadow rear mech, gorgeous sweet crisp shifting, the chainset with the titanium/carbon middlering annd their double shift shifter for the rear mech, very rapid gearchanges, get this lot running with a kmc chain and you're pretty much laughing.

However i still have an xt top swing mech as it's going strong, and is well hidden anyway. ;)

I had sram rocket shifters, never liked the clunky feeling and after a crash the lever pulled out too easily for my liking, very flimsy.

Been through pretty much every part out there, xtr all the way for me.

£641 for the majority of bits, i wouldn't have the brakes though as formula are better. ;)

Nor the chain, as they're really dura ace and snap easy under pressure.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... egoryId=83
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • passout
    gcwebbyuk wrote:

Too late, they've got you now. Your only choice is to throw your new pedals in the canal and buy some Deore stuff fast.
  • .blitz
    Dazzza wrote:
    Imo the best xtr components would be the shadow rear mech, gorgeous sweet crisp shifting, the chainset with the titanium/carbon middlering annd their double shift shifter for the rear mech, very rapid gearchanges, get this lot running with a kmc chain and you're pretty much laughing.
    +1. I don't think you can beat an XTR drivetrain but buying the wheels and brakes as well is chav-tastic :lol:
  • Without doubt XTR.

The sram stuff is good but expensive, I actually have sram at the moment but i think as an all round groupset for price and quality you cant beat XTR.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    XTR is the best Shimano do, X0 is the best SRAM do.

May not be the best value though, but are the lightest from each manufacturer.

price wise, XTR is similar to X9, XT to X7. X0 in a league of its own.

If was on a medium budget, I would mix and match.

XT shifters
    XT rear mech
    Deore front mech
    LX chainset

durable, good value and great performance.
  • well i ll pick shimano instead of sram coz price wise + shimano trigger shifter is smoother and the new xtr(07) is as good as X.O
    i didnt do any adjuestment since i set up my xtr shifter until i get full service on my bike which is like every 3 months, and they have never dissppoint me, perfect and quick shifting, no problem wif them at all

thing is you never need a whole xtr groupset coz xt will do the same job with lesser $$, the only thing i would get is xtr shifter and others will be xt groupset (coz the other bits wear out in time)
    08 Swork Stumpy FSR with 3 brains
    "2Brains. A Singletrack Mind ", from specialized <<<suppose if the rider doesnt have one
  • gcwebbyuk
    Yummy XTR SPDs
    IMG_0410.jpg

Only thing is they are on Deore cranks, does that mean I need an xtr crankset? :twisted:
  • i wold dearly love to kit my bike out in xtr, but realistically i suspect the only difference i wold actually notice between xtr and xt would be the smile on my face when people look at your bike!!!

the XT lot is very good, mine is now 4 years old and have just replaced the rings up front (a few cassettes and chains) but the front and rear shifters are spot on every time,

money no object then xtr! but as its not then XT with a kmc chain and XTR cable set and your bob on!

obviously that set up wouldnt suit Sram lovers! but as a shimano man its spot on for me!

the trouble is htough, yove got the pedals now and everything else will look half hearted unless its that lovely colour grey! :wink:
    very slippery slope lol!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    Yep, XTR pedals are nice, but so's the SRAM XO rear mech :D

PICT2576.gif
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • gcwebbyuk
    As much as I LOOOOOVE carbon fibre, I think that SRAM mech does look a bit OTT, maybe its the gold wheel on it too - dunno.

Now if you want carbon fibre and titanium together....

IMG_0327.jpg

My akrapovic exhaust on my 07 Kawasaki ZX6R. Titanium exhaust with a carbon tip - yum!
  • gcwebbyuk
    How well do XTR disc brakes compare to Avid Juicy 5s?
  • cjw wrote:
    Yep, XTR pedals are nice, but so's the SRAM XO rear mech :D

PICT2576.gif

nice chain btw!;)
    model up from mine i think! (mine isnt the super light!) nothing like a bit of chain bling!!! oh, and i've got some cnc jockeys too!;)
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • clarkson
    clarkson Posts: 1,641
    shimano XT on the spesh, with a SRAM pc991 chain for ease of breaking

and

Shimano XTR on the Merlin with SRAM pc991 hollowpin XT cassettes on both. im a shimano man rather than SRAM. had sram on the spesh originally and didnt really agreee with it tbh.
    I said hit the brakes not the tree!!

2006 Specialized Enduro Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3192886/

2008 Custom Merlin Malt 4
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2962222/

2008 GT Avalanche Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3453980/
  • Actually, if you're really "XTR-worthy", you'll probably be better served by switching to a Road derailleur mated with a compact road chainset. Faster & Lighter. :wink: