motivation or lack of!

dcab
dcab Posts: 255
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
is it just me or are there others out there who loose the will to ride? been grabbing rides where i could during the summer if you could call it that? but after a few weeks lay off i dont seem to have that buzz and have let a strict diet slip? word is were gonna have a few weeks good weather ? i need to get back in the "zone" .
veritas vos liberabit

Comments

• Only had my bike 6 weeks so still mad for it :lol:

Also have a pretty carb/beer heavy diet so need to go out regualarly to maintain my 12 stone frame.

Hope the weather report is correct though!!!
  • baz101 wrote:

Hope the weather report is correct though!!!

Unlikely....... :roll:
    'How can an opinion be bullsh1t?' High Fidelity
  • page23
    page23 Posts: 182
    choose a goal for your cycling if you're struggling for motivation such as a local race or charity ride or join a club where others' enthusiasm will soon rub off.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    I've had the same problem this year. It's been really stop-start. Today, the weather is cracking here, sunny, no wind and I'm still not sure if I will go out at lunchtime.

One thing that helps is to remind yourself how good you feel when you eventually do drag yourself onto the bike and get over that first few miles of feeling stiff and weak and sick.

Visualise a couple of rides where you were really enjoying yourself. Picture the stretch of road you were on, what you were wearing, the sound of the bike zipping along, the wind in your ears.

That normally gets me going.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• ....or stick a stupid goal in front of you, like i have to climb an alpine col next summer. The thought of failure on a mountainside and the tick, tick tick of the fitness clock seem to be doing the trick for me currently I can assure you, the kettle chip intake has almost stopped!?!?!?!? :oops: :lol:
  • i feel like that ever morning for my commute lol

rubbish cold whether but i just get on the bike and just go and then im fine when i get going
  • shaun75
    shaun75 Posts: 223
    I sometimes find that the hardest part of any ride is the walk to the garage. Or the hassle of getting layered up! But once out and about i realise why i do it time after time.

It's true about the weather, if it's gloomy you dont feel like going. Use an online forcaster, like Metcheck, and plan the weeks rides in advance. It'l give you something to look forward too.
  • Im still cycling after a year, and absolutely love it. I think living in Devon helps, because there are endless challenging hills, and the views you can get, and the miles you can do on small roads without seeing hardly any cars. Its an amzing feeling.

I come home from work, feeling crap, and stressed out. Will go for a 20 miler, and come back feeling brilliant.

Stick at it, and as some others have said, set yourself a goal. Join a club, do some charity events. There are quite a few here in Devon, so there must be some where you live!

Phil
    Giant SCR, BRIGHT Orange.