Bike Carriers to go on a car.

grayo59
grayo59 Posts: 722
My bike carrier is ok for 1 or 2 bikes on the back but seems a bit overloaded with three. It sits on the back window/frame and has six clip thingies that hook in pairs on the top of the tail gate, the tailgate sides and the trim at the bottom of the bumper. As much of this is plastic it all seems to be a bit fragile and moves a bit.

Any ideas for something more solid? I've got a Pug 406 estate.

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    It amazes me what people manage to cram onto car bike racks. Driving into center parcs today as the guests were leaving there were numerous cars with bikes on the back with too many for the rack and no doubt blocking the numberplate. One bog standared rack had 4 bikes on it, one the right way up, one upside down next to it and two kids 16" wheel bikes with stabilisers plus a mclaren buggy on the arms of the rack that went to the rear window. The police should have a word with some of these as no doubt the weight on the back of the car affects the handling, when my Mum's BF drove me home he could feel the difference in handling with just one MTB on the rack.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    grayo59
    how much are you wanting to spend?

Prepared to fit a Towbar?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I have a Halfords high-mounted rear carrier (which comfortably takes 3 bikes) ... same number of straps (2 at the top of the tailgate, 2 on the side, and 2 going around underneath the bumber and hooking onto parts of the chassis / boot floor which are a bit sturdier than the underside of the bumper ... its worth getting down and lying under the car to see if there's anything suitable to hook onto.

I also have roof bars and two roof-mounted cycle carriers.

www.roofrackshop.com is a good place to try for both types of cycle carriers.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    We also have a 406 estate and use Thule roof bars for the bikes (and sometimes kayaks). Might not be the best for fuel consumption, but it means full visibility out of the back window and no hinderance to getting in and out of the boot.
  • grayo59
    grayo59 Posts: 722
    nicklouse wrote:
    grayo59
    how much are you wanting to spend?

Prepared to fit a Towbar?

Whatever it takes within reason - and yes.
    this is not mine but i have the same. it takes 3 bikes and you can get an extension to take a 4th. and it is lockable.
    it also pivots down to allow boot acess

img2700vk9.jpg

with 2 DH bikes on.
    img2724jq5.jpg

it is now stopped but they have some new versions.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • If you have an estate, especially, as ours, with roof rails, Thule roof bars/carrier is def the best way to go. Easily takes 4 bikes and the boot is accessible. Just remember it's on before going into car parks!!!
  • zonc
    zonc Posts: 37
    the tow bar option is def. the best. We use one purchased from the roof box co. It fits on our my wife's special needs Peugeot Partner and also on my works landy when necessary - especially useful when I am mountain bike guiding with clients - picking folks up from ferry port etc..
  • dave5n
    dave5n Posts: 3,307
    I have an atera tow bar rack. Fantastic kit - bit pricey, but not compared to the cost of replacing or repairing damaged car or bikes.

How are you Zonc? Didn't make it up this year.
  • I use thule bars & racks - the bars aren't cheap (I recommend skidrive.co.uk - really helpful, best new prices I've seen & usually cheaper than ebay!) but they are secure. I have 2 Thule 530 cycle carriers & 1 591 carrier - 530 much cheaper but a llittle more faff. they lock bike to carrier, carrier to bars, bars to roofrails. takes me 7 mins to get from nothing on roof to bike in situ.
    The only downside is fuel consumption (&remembering the height!)
  • The best cycle carrier I know of is the Mont Blanc Easy Grip carrier.
    www.montblancuk.co.uk as it is vehicle specific it fits to your car with no bother at all. I have an Astra and a Focus and it fits both and only take 5 minutes to fit.
    Looking at the website however it does not list your car. How about trying a roof mount? Can be pricey but my friend has a couple of the Mont Blanc Scott cycle carriers and they were reasonably priced.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    We have a Pendle 4 towbar mounted rack from roofbox.co.uk, here's a link googled at random for a pic: http://www.wilmond.co.uk/acatalog/towbarballrack.jpg

Pros: it's really quick to load up (I can fit it & load up my bike in less than a minute), takes 4 bikes easily (5 at a push, 6 if desperate!), takes up little storage space, not much wind resistance, very secure & safe

Cons: requires towbar (not a removable one), if you're precious about scratching bikes you'll need a lot of padding, needs a lightboard (I reckon I can get away without it for 1 bike).

I've always thought racks that hang off your tailgate look a bit dodgy - I've seen them slide around, have straps ping off, and even bend the tailgate where they're attached.