Probikekit and customer service

Diver-m
Diver-m Posts: 158
edited September 2008 in The bottom bracket
I don't normally buy a lot from Probikekit as often whats advertised is never in stock. However in June of 2008 I prchased some items, including some own brand gel handelbar tape for £9.31. So I admit that I have had the tape fro nearly three months.

I only got aound to trying to fit it over the weekend. Normally I buy items like that a few at a time and fit as when required, often storing the tape for quite a few months. I have never had a problem with the adhesive drying out.

The actual instructions own probikekits own brand tape states "remove protective film from the adhesive and begin application of the tape. There was no protective film. There was on the bits for the underneath of the brakes, but not either of the rolls. The adhesive on the rolls was just dry. I tried peeling a bit off to see if it was sticky underneath, but again its just dry tape, and of course the tape wouldn't stick.

I emailed Probikekit and there reply is as follows:

Regarding the tape – some lines of the Prorace tape do not come with backing tape – they are designed just to stick straight onto bar, it may be that yours has dried up somewhat since June when you purchased it. I’m afraid that we cannot accept the tape back as it is not faulty and is past the returns period.

I was a bit astonished by this, an have emailed Probike asking why there was no use by date on the packaging or statement that the adhesive will dry out. Surley If there is a possibility of the adhesive drying out then there should be a use by date on the box. Also how long was the tape stored by the manufacturer before issuing to Probike, how long did Probike have the product before supplying it to me. If the adhesive has only a short shelf life why is this not stated on your site so a purchaser knows this.

I also don't understand why they are arguing over £10.00. as I have said I don't spend alot with them, but wil now spend even less.

Comments

• Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    You can easily use tape without backing tape, you just need to take care.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Diver,

have a read through this and see if you think you have a case. The one thing that comes to mind is "Fit for purpose"
    http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?r.l1=1073861169&r.l3=1074027367&type=RESOURCES&itemId=1073792522&r.l2=1074400662&r.s=sc
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    Some bar tape is only tacky at best, it will still go on perfectly if you maintain an even stretch pressure while fitting it. Was the glue tacky to the touch like blu-tac or completely dry?
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    edited September 2008
    (comment to wrong thread! Don't know how I managed that! Sorry..)
  • Diver-m
    Diver-m Posts: 158
    Thanks for link, it is very useful.

The glue was completely bone dry.
  • Diver-m wrote:

I also don't understand why they are arguing over £10.00. as I have said I don't spend alot with them, but wil now spend even less.

Is it worth the hastle?, just get some double sided tape.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    My mate bought some tape the other week - not from PBK and that had no glue on the back either. I dont think its a problem to be honest.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Diver-m wrote:

I also don't understand why they are arguing over £10.00. ....

Couldthe same not be said about you also?

It takes two to argue (unless you are schizo)
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • BMCCbry
    BMCCbry Posts: 153
    spen666 wrote:
    Diver-m wrote:

I also don't understand why they are arguing over £10.00. ....

Couldthe same not be said about you also?

It's a matter of principle because if he lost a tenner every time he ordered something, he'd end up fairly hard up. Admittedly though, some things aren't worth losing sleep over.

Maybe you were just unlucky with PBK this time - I've always had excellent service from them.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Hmm, a lot of the tape I use runs out of stickiness very quickly anyway, as I tend to refit the bar a few times to obtain as near perfection as I can - the sticky stuff is not required.

It just seems a bit silly to me to have the bar tape sitting around for 3 months, and then complain about it - it just doesn't look right.

Personally I'd just fit it, there's far more important to things to bar tape than the sticky backing. If it's good tape personally I wouldn't give a damn about the quality control on the sticky backing.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • With mail order, until 30 days after purchase you can ask for a refund, but that's too late for you of course.

I wouldn't worry too much – as someone said if fit it with a degree of stretched tension it will be fine.

You could always run a small strip of double sided adhesive tape lengthways along the bar to help prevent slippage.
  • Have to say I'm surprised at them not offering some sort of compromise - another role at half price perhaps - as I have always found them to be very good to deal with.

I lost a rubber nose piece from some glasses I bought from them in the summer, emaild to ask if I could buy a replacement and they sent me one free of charge.
    Is it raining yet?
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Diver-m wrote:
    I don't normally buy a lot from Probikekit as often whats advertised is never in stock.

But their website always shows stock levels on a 'real time' basis.
    The system will not take an order if there is no stock!
    With regards to your refund, there have to be limits. If you are expecting a refund more than 3 months after purchase, I think you are expecting too much.
    I've always found them exemplary!
    It's very easy for one post to blacken the hard earned reputation of a decent firm.
  • grayo59
    grayo59 Posts: 722
    Yes, I can understand your disappointment but I understand their position too. It would have been nice if they'd bunged you a freebie replacement but there it is.