Rapid decline in Stamina and endurance

owen908
owen908 Posts: 170
edited September 2008 in Health, fitness & training
Over the past 5 months ive gradually built up my fitness levels considerably. The last 2 weeks or so Ive began to cycle 15-25 miles a day four times a week plus the usual 30-40 mile ride on a saturday with the local bike club. On Thursday i went for the usual ride and noticed that i didnt feel as keen as usual. Kinda like i cant be bothered really. I ended the ride and put it down to lack of sleep or not enough food. On Saturday i had to come home early after 5 miles. For some unknown reason ive seemed to have completly lost my 'edge'. Ive got no stamina or endurance and Saturday saw a worrigly rapid decline . Since then ie been feeling washed out and just dont want to think about biking at all ; like ive lost all interest. My mind wants to go for a ride but my body feels like its telling me not to. My knees have started to ache abit to today.

My question is, has anyone got any idea whats happening here? Has anyone expereicned anything similar?

Comments

• Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    Normally when I feel like that it's because I'm about to get ill, but I guess that since you've had it for a good few days now it's unlikely to be that.
  • gazvenn
    gazvenn Posts: 121
    sounds a bit like you've just drained yourself and are in need of a rest for a little while. but i'm no expert.
  • over training, perhaps?
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Ditto, sounds like overtraining, and perhaps the wrong kind of training?

It took a few months for me to get to my current 180 miles or so a week (5x28 mile commutes plus a sunday spin of around 40-50 miles), and I certainly cannot give it my all every day, some days I do sprints over a few miles at 45kph (28mph), others I can't manage that as a top speed even.

Perhaps your training plan should be based on what you are capable of on a weekly basis, tempo one day, steady rides on others.

There should be plenty of sample training plans around to model your own on, or at least give you a feel for what you should expect to be doing to build over a long period.

Rest always helps of course, as does attention to your diet.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • owen908
    Thanks for the replies. Helps to shed some light on what might be going on.

If its over training, how many days should i allow myself to fully recover?
  • you are not doing this for pay, it's fun ride when you feel like it.

However, to know when you have recovered enough:
    wait until you get itchy,
    looking out the window all the time, watching the clouds and weather patterns.

you start to sigh a lot,
    get irritable and fidgety,
    can't think of anything but what the riding will be like when you get out.

When your wife tells you, 'for goodness sakes, get out and ride!'.

then it's time to ride.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • owen908
    you are not doing this for pay, it's fun ride when you feel like it.

However, to know when you have recovered enough:
    wait until you get itchy,
    looking out the window all the time, watching the clouds and weather patterns.

you start to sigh a lot,
    get irritable and fidgety,
    can't think of anything but what the riding will be like when you get out.

When your wife tells you, 'for goodness sakes, get out and ride!'.

then it's time to ride.

It hasnt taken very long to get the urge to go out ; went for a ride today (15 miles ish) and i feel alot better . Feels like i might have been overdoing it slightly and almost burned myself out.Knees feel alittle bit sore but nothing major. Going to learn to take it slower in future. I think one of my main mistakes is forgetting to acutal anjoy the ride instead of treating every ride like a training session!