GF Marco Pantani

BMCCbry
BMCCbry Posts: 153
Has anyone done this? http://www.gsalpi.it/pantani/pantani.htm

If so what did you think?

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    I rode it last year. It's a very well organised event over a very tough course. As part of the entry you get a polka dot jersey which everyone has to wear during the event, it makes for a great looking peleton. I think there were 4000 other riders entered so it's a big event.

The downhill start makes for a very fast start before you hit the long drag up to the foot of the Gavia. The Gavia is a long climb which has a few steep sections on it. For unknown reasons the organisers decided to block the road on one of the steeper sections which led to a wait of 30 mins or so to get through. I *think* it was done to thin down the bunch but I'm not sure. The long tunnel towards the top of the Gavia is floodlit on the day which makes it a bit easier (and means you don't need a rear light). The descent down into Bormio is bumpy and tricky to start with then opens out into a very fast straight run from Santa Caterina.

The next section from Bormio to the foot of the Mortirolo was tough as there was a strong wind blowing up the valley and no-one really wanted to do any work on the front due to what was coming next, i.e. the Mortirolo.

Onto the Mortirolo. I've ridden many of the famous Tour and Giro climbs in my time but the Mortirolo is probably the toughest one I've done. It's unrelentingly steep for 6 kms after the 3 km mark averaging 13% and with sections of 18%. It's hard to describe how hard it is, just an unrelentingly steep, hard climb. When you hit the 10% section towards the top it feels like it's flat.

Once over the top there is then a long, flat section along the ridge with a couple of nasty little uphill sections, before the descent back into Aprica. There is an option of another, smaller climb but I'd left my gf alone all morning so finished there.

I enjoyed it and am glad I did it but I'm not sure I'd rush back to do the Mortirolo again whereas the Gavia is definitely a climb to return too.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any questions.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Good Luck BMCCbry

I just got home from Italy at the weekend. I did the Mortirolo and the Gavia one day but did the Mortirolo first then the Gavia opposite from the Pantani event. It was a very hard day out and can only echo Andy P as regards to the Mortirolo climb. It was not really as steep as I thought it was going to be but it was fairly consistent in gradient and will really test the legs after the Gavia. You have to respect it as a climb because there is not really any place to get a rest apart from a quick breather on the hair pins.

The Gavia is probably the nicest climb I have ever done and its also quite hard. Some very steep ramps at sections and its also pretty tough after the tunnel. Its very cold up there so take a good packable windproof for the descent into Bormio.

The road from Bormio to Mazzo where the Mortirolo starts is almost all downhill apart from one fairly sized climb up to a tunnel which is lit up. If you are in the area get the Stelvio bagged - both sides if you can as its a must for any cyclist.
    Brian B.
  • andyp
    Hey Brian,

Did you have good weather for your trip? What did your brother think of those climbs? The Gavia is epic isn't it? But the Stelvio is just something else, especially that north side!
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Andy,

The weather was great - no rain and mostly clear skies but very cold at the top of the Stelvio and Gavia. The Gavia was great, truly epic in size and scenery. Its probably the most enjoyable climb I have ever done. I did the Bormio side of the Stelvio on day one and thought that even this side was awesome.

Later in the week I did both sides in one day - the Prato side was breathtaking. When I emerged out of the wooded sections and saw the hairpins up to the top I had to pinch myself as it was hard to believe that I was doing it. What could be more enjoyable, the weather that day was hot, no clouds or wind and THAT road strecthed out before you in all its glory.

I have done the Galibier, Tourmalet, Ventoux ect but have never done such a collection of hard and beautiful climbs as what I did when in Bormio. It really is a Mecca for cyclists. No wonder people rate the Giro climbs harder than the TDF.

My bro really enjoyed himself and all of our group did what they set out to do. What a week.
    Brian B.
  • this sounds awesome :)

[adds to 'to do' list]
  • BMCCbry
    Thanks so much for the replies. Still trying to decide which European sportive to do next year and this is on the shortlist.
  • BMCCbry
    :wink: Actually AndyP, I do have some questions. Well, general advice to seek from you really, if you have done lots of events and can make some comparisons...

I've ridden quite a few UK sportives this year and last, and wanted a good challenge for next year and to go abroad for it. I was considering the Quebrantahuesos, but after some investigations, I thought that might be a hard one to start with. It could be an option for 2010 with something just a little easier in 2009. So now I'm trying to work out what that should be. I do want it to be tougher than anything I've done here (although obviously there'll be a lot of differences in the nature of the climbs etc), but there's a fine line between a good challenge and putting yourself off ever doing one again.

We'll be two girls doing it, along with our experienced male mechanic, and possibly a few others! 8)

Any suggestions? The atmosphere of the event is important to us, and good organisation etc. Would consider Italy, France or Spain, so lots of options!
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Andy - what gearing did you have for the Mortirolo? How would you say the event compares to the Marmotte in terms of difficulty?
  • BMCCbry
    Bronzie wrote:
    How would you say the event compares to the Marmotte in terms of difficulty?

Rich took the words out of my mouth :D
  • andyp
    @Bronzie - I had a 50/34 compact fitted with a 13-26 10 speed cassette. I used that 26 sprocket all the way up the Mortirolo. I trained harder for the Marmotte and was in better shape but it's still harder than the GF Marco Pantani, it's basically 4 cols in the former and just 2 in the latter.

@BMCCbry - there are so many events to choose from that I'm sure you'll find one that suits you. An event I've done twice, and which sounds like it suits your requirements is the [url=ttp://www.felicegimondi.it/]GF Felice GImondi[/url] which starts and finishes in Bergamo and is held in the middle of May each year. Ryanair fly to Bergamo (it's their Milan airport) so it's easy to get to. The route heads north in the pre-Alpi hills and has 6 classified climbs, none of which are particularly tough. There's normally a field of 5000 riders and it has a great atmosphere, with plenty of support along the route. I've really enjoyed it both times I've ridden it.
  • BMCCbry
    8) Thanks, Andy P. I've heard about that one, and it does sound really good...my only query about it is whether (for the big event of the year!) it will be that hard. I say that because it only has 2,820m climbing, which is less than (say) the Legbreaker, and less than the Dragon Ride which seemed like a (relatively) easy route. Maybe I'm being too simplistic about it!

Do you know of any that are harder than that but easier than the absolute toughest ones? :twisted:
  • Bronzie
    Thanks Andy - I used 34x25 on the Marmotte this year and was thinking I would maybe fit something a bit lower for the Mortirolo if I do it next year. Food for thought.

Bry - a Welsh tart we both know did the Felice Gimondi a couple of years back so I'm sure he can tell you what he made of it...............at great length :wink:
  • andyp
    BMCCbry wrote:
    Do you know of any that are harder than that but easier than the absolute toughest ones? :twisted:
    How about the Megeve Mont Blanc? It's less than 100 miles but with 4000 metres of climbing through some stunning scenery. I rode it in 2006 as preparation for the Marmotte and loved it so much that I'm thinking of doing it again next year.
  • andyp
    Bronzie wrote:
    Thanks Andy - I used 34x25 on the Marmotte this year and was thinking I would maybe fit something a bit lower for the Mortirolo if I do it next year. Food for thought.
    To give you some comparison, I had a 50/36 on for the Marmotte. I got up the Mortirolo (eventually) without major trauma but it was made harder by having the Gavia in my legs already, the early start and the heat, as it was later in the day when we hit it. That said, I always think that if you had a lower gear you'd use it so you have to draw a line at some point.
  • BMCCbry
    I know he did...and he is trying to sell it to me on the basis that there is good shopping etc in Bergamo! But if I'm going all the way there, I want it to be for something tough!

Sent you a message (which doesn't seem to have been delivered yet) saying that this is the trip Ken was talking about when he emailed you...but we are probably backing off from the Quebranta on the basis that it might be a leap too far for next year (for Jane and me). So we are looking for something a little less hard.

The Felice Gimondi does sound like a great event...and I guess if we were doing several European events it would be a great starter for the year. But realistically it's only going to be one, so need to work out which.

Well Ken's gearing seemed pretty successful at the Marmotte! 29 sprocket sounds like the answer!
  • BMCCbry
    andyp wrote:
    BMCCbry wrote:
    How about the Megeve Mont Blanc? It's less than 100 miles but with 4000 metres of climbing through some stunning scenery. I rode it in 2006 as preparation for the Marmotte and loved it so much that I'm thinking of doing it again next year.

Andy, that is a great suggestion...but 14th June is just about the one date we can't do!! Typical :roll: :)
  • rhnb
    rhnb Posts: 324
    If anyone wants to spend a relaxing half an hour ;-) we've put some pictures up of the trip to Bormio, taking in the Gavia/Mortirolo/Stelvio/Foscagna/Umbrail etc here...

http://picasaweb.google.com/rhnb55

and here...

http://picasaweb.google.com/alesupper

Can only echo what Brian said. Absolutely bloody brilliant.
    Don't forget your long fingered gloves!! and look out for the icicles hanging off the sign at the top of the Gavia!
    Oh and a quick mention for the Hotel Genzianella. Superb food, very friendly and great facilities for bikes (free workshop, clothes washing etc).
    Brian B wrote:
    Andy,

The weather was great - no rain and mostly clear skies but very cold at the top of the Stelvio and Gavia. The Gavia was great, truly epic in size and scenery. Its probably the most enjoyable climb I have ever done. I did the Bormio side of the Stelvio on day one and thought that even this side was awesome.

Later in the week I did both sides in one day - the Prato side was breathtaking. When I emerged out of the wooded sections and saw the hairpins up to the top I had to pinch myself as it was hard to believe that I was doing it. What could be more enjoyable, the weather that day was hot, no clouds or wind and THAT road strecthed out before you in all its glory.

I have done the Galibier, Tourmalet, Ventoux ect but have never done such a collection of hard and beautiful climbs as what I did when in Bormio. It really is a Mecca for cyclists. No wonder people rate the Giro climbs harder than the TDF.

My bro really enjoyed himself and all of our group did what they set out to do. What a week.
    ~~~
    http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk
    Cycle tour reports and the home of \'Cycling Before Lycra\'
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    The GF Marco Pantani is usually the weekend after the nearby GF CAmpagnolo

If you're truly insane you can do both in a week, that's some climbing to get under your belt.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    looks great. Do you know when it will be happening next year?
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • Bronzie
    GF Marco Pantani was 22nd June this year so probably Sun 21st June 2009
  • bahzob
    On the list for 2009.

Is it easy to get into? Or do you need to sign up the moment it opens and/or go into a lottery to get a place?
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • andyp
    I can't remember exactly when I entered it but it was quite late on, i.e. a month or so before the event. The main problem I found was that there is no online registration so I had to fill out a form and fax it over to them and then transfer the money to their account. It was a bit of a faff to be honest.

I'd forgotten about that until I read your question so obviously my memories of the day compensated.
  • bahzob
    Thanks. Assuming it runs next year I'll definitely be doing it.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • bahzob
    Got the following from info@gsalpi.it when asked them when/how to enter 2009 so hopefully can enter online..

Dear Sir,
    by the end of October the website www.gsalpi.it will be updated and www.granfondomarcopantani.it will start operating so that you can register for the 2009 GF Pantani.
    Best regards,

for GSALPI
    Cinzia
    Tourist Office Aprica
    Corso Roma, 150
    23031 Aprica (SO)
    tel. 0342 746113 fax 0342 747732
    web: www.valtellina.it
    e-mail: infoaprica@provincia.so.it
    info@apricaonline.com
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • BMCCbry wrote:
    8) Thanks, Andy P. I've heard about that one, and it does sound really good...my only query about it is whether (for the big event of the year!) it will be that hard. I say that because it only has 2,820m climbing, which is less than (say) the Legbreaker, and less than the Dragon Ride which seemed like a (relatively) easy route. Maybe I'm being too simplistic about it!

Try the Nove Colli which is usually the week after the Felice Gimondi. In fact the pair would make a good double bill trip to Italy, just take the train across N Italy to Rimini/Cesenatico for the second event and fly back home from Forli airport.

Nove Colli is 210 km with 9 climbs of moderately difficult level (though a couple of times you'll have 18% gradients). I've not done the Gimondi, but Nove Colli (which I've done 4 times) is rather race-like compared to UK sportives.

One year I'll get over there and do both events bookending a May holiday.
  • Bronzie
    bahzob wrote:
    Do you know when it will be happening next year?
    Baxters/Sporting Tours website are listing it as Sunday 28th June, not the 21st.