Suitable for XC/Enduro racing

rider217
rider217 Posts: 70
edited October 2008 in XC and Enduro
Hi,

A fairly standard question, but as always slightly tailored. Also I was looking for something more quantifiable?

I ride a Santa Cruz Blur LT (2007), and I think it is a fantastic bike (specced to around 27lb). I generally ride around the Welsh trail centres so it is perfect for that. However, this last year I have started to do some racing, such as the Merida events, and also some adventure racing, which might involve 2-8 hours riding. I plan to continue entering more riding events, hopefully to do some longer 12hr enduros.

What do people think about the suitability of the Blur LT for these types of races, and how much would I benefit from a more race oriented bike. How much better would it be to get a bike like an Epic, or a carbon hardtail (Merida, Trek, Scott)? I'm sure also just getting fitter makes a difference, but putting that aside.

Also, does anyone know where I could find a more quantified method of the differences between the types of bike carbon hardtail, short travel full susser (Epic), or longer like mine? Has anyone done trials over a set course at a consistent level of effort to test this?

I suppose what I'm really trying to find out is given I have a Blur, should I buy a hardtail
Thanks

Comments

• xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    For enduro racing I would suggest a shorter travel bike like the Scott Spark with 100mm of travel.
    About hardtail, I think that's a bad idea, because your back will start to hurt.
    Also a good comfortable seat is very important, and don't try to save some few 100g of weight on that one, because I think it's worth the trouble.
  • streako
    streako Posts: 2,937
    The lightweight short travel hardtail is still the most common bike at xc races.

Your Blur can be used for racing. It would have a slight disadvantage on the climbs but would be good on the descents. The fact is that it is more about the rider really than the bike.

I ride a Giant Anthem, and guess what? My back hurts when I'm really pushing it.

A comfy saddle isnt really that important in short course xc (around 2 hours) as you will perhaps spend 25 per cent of that time out of it, I would look for a lightweight seat that doesnt snag on your shorts.
  • I ride an S Works carbon HT and have raced many an Enduro event on it with absolutley no probs so not sure what the 'back and seat' post is all about. Go try out a few and see what you feel comfortable with. Maybe think of a Ti HT ,a Cotic Soda, which is set up for a 100m or more fork but has the spring and damping feel at the back end and durability for the terrain you ride but you can race it as well.
    '..all the bad cats in the bad hats..'
  • Hi,

I race a Trek 9.8 carbon hard tail, i love it ad as the bike fits me it is very comfortable.

Get lower back ache when pushig hard but i get that on my full susser.

I used to race my full susser, 27lb like yours but the diff i found is the geometry on the hardtail and weight is so much better for climbing, maybe not as quick downhill but not that much slower.

Plus i think the carbon is more comfy and seems to take some of the shock out of the rough stuff.

As for saddles i use a SDG as i had one on my full susser ad find it very comfy so i just have the same saddle on both bikes.

I enjoy my hardtail so much i ride that the most ad just use my full susser now for messing on group rides, trail centres or if planning on real tough terrain.
  • pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    I would agree with 320D.

I rode an Enduro last Sunday on my Trek Top Fuel and struggled on the tight single track twist and turns. My Top Fuel is great but the long wheelbase make it's hard to change direction through the trees at speed. The fact that I ride a 21.5in frame doesn't really help as the bike has a 115inch wheelbase.

It also has a disadvantage on the climbs as it carrys an extra 7 or 8lbs over an equivalent hard tail. Still I love my FS to bits.
    Paul
  • streako
    streako Posts: 2,937
    I race on an Anthem, but I am thinking of going back to HT. Firstly, the frame is a pound or so heavier than a hardtail, and secondly the bushings are worn out after only 6 months.

It also creaks, and loses a wee bit of power due to slight bobbing.

If you can afford it, I would recommend keeping the Blur, and buying a lighter race bike.
  • Thanks guys

I feared that might be the answer - it always seems to be the expensive option! Oh well, you can never have too many bikes...
  • I've had slicks on my hardtail blatting around the lanes and the odd ride out with some roadies, goes well too.

I went out round Kentmere on my full suss as it's rocky and fast rocky descents, but after the ride i wished i'd taken my hardtail as it's such fun and climbs real well!

I think my full suss will be redundant one of these days.
  • Mc Smiley
    Mc Smiley Posts: 252
    Over the longer races your Blur should be perfect, maybe a bit too much travel and carrying a bit of weight, but it will be comfy.

I remember there being a test in WMB a while back and they were testing marathon bikes (which is what you are after really) and a Blur was really good for that.
    For the shorter races though a lighter hardtail or short travel full sus.

Carbon hardtails are designed for whippets on 3 hour xc races, not a full on 12 hour day, not good for you especially back problems and the full sus gives you that saftey net of messing up a bit when you are tired and lazy :)
  • stevieboy
    stevieboy Posts: 704
    Gotta echo the back pain issue.

I love my scale to bits, 3/4 hrs is about the max I will ride before I wanna get off. A spark would be better, but for an enduro the blur would be fine - my gf's commencal meta is of similar weight and i'd race that happily over a longer distance.
    Scott Scale Custom
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/ ... C09729.jpg

Kona Coilair 2007 Dark Peak Destroyer
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/ ... C09727.jpg

"BOCD - If it aint perfect it aint good enough"
  • Everyone is diff, i've done a 24 hour in a team this year and a ten hour solo in scotland, and to be honest hard tail is the weapon of choice.

The carbon 9.8 is a very strong bike and i'm no whippet at 11stone 7lb and i can spend hours riding my hard tail, i find if i am to get back ache i get it on my full sus as the geometry isn't as good for climbing on.

Also when i started back biking i was getting lower backache but i've spent the last 12 months doing lower back exercise and building up core muscles to support my back...hey presto no more lower back ache!

Have you bought a bike yet? best thing to do is try one for yourself, everyone will give diff views, my mate did the Trans Alp on a carbon hardtail so goes to prove they are fine racing machines.