It's entrapment I tell you

The Greg
The Greg Posts: 98
edited October 2008 in The bottom bracket
Picture the scene:

In my LBS on the weekend to pick up my trusty (road bike) steed after its annual post-'summer' full schebang service.

"Just giving it one final check" they say. "Be done in 5 mins".

Cue me standing on LBS showroom floor passing the time looking at shiny bike frames hanging from LBS showroom ceiling.

"Oooh, that one looks nice" says I. "And it has a price tag that I can read" says I. "And that is a very reasonbale price" says I. "And so nice and shiny too" says I again. :P

Cue very observant LBS owner who decides to take down said bike frame so that I can "just have a bit of a closer look at it", the words "sh1t!, damn!, damn! No, No!, you barsteward" already forming in my mind. :twisted:

Cue 5 mins of 'angel vs. devil' mind wrestling (all the while knowning where this is going to end up) followed by "I'll take it".

Leave said shop with one expensively-serviced bike, one new bike frame, a badly hammered credit card and a 10 min walk home in which to devise a justifiable (but, ultimately, utterly transparent) excuse to put to the wife as to why this was a necessary purchase.

The moral of the story - when picking up your bike from your LBS call ahead, give them your credit card details over the phone then arrange for them to bring the bike outside on to the pavement when you pick it up. Do not set foot inside.
The Greg

"No, no, he didn't slam you, he didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you... he 'rubbed' you. And rubbin', son, is racin'!"

FCN 4

Comments

• A harsh lesson for us all :wink:
    And sometimes the best lessons are learned the hard way :lol:
    'How can an opinion be bullsh1t?' High Fidelity
  • And now that I have to build it up into my winter trainer (having had to explain that my Merlin is far too precious to take out onto those salty and gritty Dec - Feb roads) every time I log onto Wiggle/Chain Reaction etc I will have to be taught that lesson all over again.

Whichahhh! :twisted:
    The Greg

"No, no, he didn't slam you, he didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you... he 'rubbed' you. And rubbin', son, is racin'!"

FCN 4
  • The Greg wrote:
    And now that I have to build it up into my winter trainer (having had to explain that my Merlin is far too precious to take out onto those salty and gritty Dec - Feb roads) every time I log onto Wiggle/Chain Reaction etc I will have to be taught that lesson all over again.

Whichahhh! :twisted:

(sings) 'There may be trouble aheaaaaaad' !!! :wink:
  • Thats very underhand. People who take advantage of the weak and vulnerable should be locked up :roll: .
  • Soma "Smoothie" steel (Tange Prestige) frame - it's got eyelets for a rear mudguard, hence the attraction as a winter trainer.

Getting it resprayed in gloss black. 8)
    The Greg

FCN 4
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    The Greg wrote:
    ...10 min walk home in which to devise a justifiable (but, ultimately, utterly transparent) excuse to put to the wife as to why this was a necessary purchase..

"Honey! Fancy going on a bike ride? You could do with losing a few pounds" (god no, dont, it'll end in tears - or a broken nose) :lol:
  • downfader wrote:
    [You could do with losing a few pounds" :lol:

You're not married are you :?: :!:
  • downfader
    downfader wrote:
    [You could do with losing a few pounds" :lol:

You're not married are you :?: :!:

Yep, prolly how I've survived :lol:
  • Well I know the feeling! You have a way with words. I'm sure you'll find some legitimate reason to tell the wife. Does she know yet?
  • I went in to get a spoke replaced and came out with a brand new carbon bike.

I am weak :cry:
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015

I feel so much better about being Wiggles biggest sucker :lol: . Oh look if I spend another £5 I will get another 50p off. They have 20% off HRM's at the mo and I dont have one, yet :cry:
  • I have the answer to this conundrum - simply buy the nicest bike in the shop, then you can visit with impunity! Worked for me, although they do keeping adding rather lovely rims to their collection...
  • You can buy the nicest bike in the shop for riding on sunny days.

But what about for the days that are cold and wet? And for the days that are wet, but not cold? And the bike for the ride to the shops? And the bike for the ride past the shops to the other shops? And for the ride to work? And for the ride along the canal to the pub?

There are plenty of completely justifiable (to me anyway) reasons why more than one bike is a necessity. I just don't need temptation waved in my face like that - it's like they saw me coming. :roll:
    The Greg

FCN 4
  • The Greg wrote:
    - it's like they saw me coming. :roll:

:roll: :roll: Oh.....they did......they did :wink:
  • I have the answer to this conundrum - simply buy the nicest bike in the shop, then you can visit with impunity! Worked for me, although they do keeping adding rather lovely rims to their collection...

But then I'd have to find a new LBS so I can look at better bikes....... :wink:
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • I like this thread, I thought it was just me...........

Boardman Comp for the trails (from Friday)
    Spesh Langster for the road/fitness
    Trek F400 folder for the train
    Start Weight: 128 kilos (20.2 st) (April 17th 2009)
    Current Weight:119 kilos (18.7 st) (June 18th 2009)
    Target Weight: 92 kilos (14.5 st) (sometime mid-2010, hopefully sooner)
  • The Greg wrote:
    You can buy the nicest bike in the shop for riding on sunny days.

But what about for the days that are cold and wet? And for the days that are wet, but not cold? And the bike for the ride to the shops? And the bike for the ride past the shops to the other shops? And for the ride to work? And for the ride along the canal to the pub?

There are plenty of completely justifiable (to me anyway) reasons why more than one bike is a necessity. I just don't need temptation waved in my face like that - it's like they saw me coming. :roll:

*Sigh, this is so true - and also partly the reason I have 3 bikes:
    Sunny days
    Winter training
    About town Single Speed
  • Who needs eager shop assistants when you've got people posting pictures of Pinarellos.

I want one now! :wink:
    Start Weight: 128 kilos (20.2 st) (April 17th 2009)
    Current Weight:119 kilos (18.7 st) (June 18th 2009)
    Target Weight: 92 kilos (14.5 st) (sometime mid-2010, hopefully sooner)
  • downfader
    Who needs eager shop assistants when you've got people posting pictures of Pinarellos.

I want one now! :wink:

is that the one krusty the clown did the ad for? :wink:
  • I like this thread, I thought it was just me...........

Boardman Comp for the trails (from Friday)
    Spesh Langster for the road/fitness
    Trek F400 folder for the train

No comrade, you are amongst friends.

My name's The Greg and I'm a bikeaholic...
    The Greg

FCN 4
  • Andyb10
    Andyb10 Posts: 126
    Reading this there are so many more bikes I need (only got 2 road bikes and a mountain bike so far).
    Had to put Raceblades on the Allez to convince the wife it was really a winter/training bike.

My LBS is Primera Sport and they have some seriously good looking high end bikes in there so have to go in regularly to check out the stock!

Just remember the right number of bikes to own is the number you already have + 1
  • I like your attitude. :shock: :P <Wife: :!: :?: >

I feel so much better about being Wiggles biggest sucker :lol: . Oh look if I spend another £5 I will get another 50p off. They have 20% off HRM's at the mo and I dont have one, yet :cry:

Judging by this thread, I'm one of the strong ones. :D
    I've never sucumed to the alure of the shiny bike in the shop syndrome..... And I'm single so don't have to justify it!

Wiggle on the other hand is another kettle of fish. I have the Platinum discount and have conciously removed it from my bookmarks! £1 here, £25 there and suddenly ebay has another auction of crap from the loft!
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • I have been in mine four times this year and bought two bikes.

Judging by this thread, I'm one of the strong ones. :D
    I've never sucumed to the alure of the shiny bike in the shop syndrome..... And I'm single so don't have to justify it!

Wiggle on the other hand is another kettle of fish. I have the Platinum discount and have conciously removed it from my bookmarks! £1 here, £25 there and suddenly ebay has another auction of crap from the loft!

Late September and I get 2 pairs of Castelli Summer Bibs delivered, damn you to hell Wiggle with your weekly bargains and your next day delivery.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Don't get me started. I've just ordered another cycling cap.I now have 7, as well as a pair of Castelli Belgian Booties, arm warmers and legwarmers and some Knog Frog front and rear lights (need them because they don't require a permanent mounting point so won't defile the best bike!). Damn you Wiggle and PBK, damn you and your special offers!
  • How about this for a business idea:

Shoe shop in the front, bike shop at the back.

Wife walks by and sees the lovely shoes (or whatever it is that takes her fancy) and drags you in. You head to the back while she stays up front, and an hour later you both leave neither daring to comment about the other's purchase.

But that raises another question.....is it only blokes that suffer like that in bike shops?
    No-one wanted to eat Patagonia Toothfish so they renamed it Chilean Sea Bass and now it's in danger of over fishing!
  • Went into my LBS to pick up the resprayed frame on Saturday. They took about 15 mins to find the forks that came with the frame. All the while leaving me to wander around the shop and look at all the shiny stuff - including some of the bikes to feature at the London Cycle Show. I am convined that t his is now a well thought out ploy on their part. Damn them to hell I say!

I held my nerve and walked out with frame and forks in hand and nothing else........until next time...
    The Greg

FCN 4
  • How about this for a business idea:

Shoe shop in the front, bike shop at the back.

Wife walks by and sees the lovely shoes (or whatever it is that takes her fancy) and drags you in. You head to the back while she stays up front, and an hour later you both leave neither daring to comment about the other's purchase.

But that raises another question.....is it only blokes that suffer like that in bike shops?

Genius! :D
    Does this now give us the new argument "well you have a new pair of shoes" or are we still stuffed and in the doghouse?
    She can but we can't.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business