Season of Mists

ColinJ
ColinJ Posts: 2,218
[Déjà vu? Yes - I did just post this over on CycleChat too!]

Hi All.

Don't listen to the rumours which have been circulating - the very hilly Season of Mists audax will be taking place this year as usual, on Sunday 5th October. Since it is one of my local events, I thought I'd do my bit to help promote it.

Cancellation rumours started after the control cafe at Coldwell Activity Centre closed. I contacted the organiser, Chris Crossland, and he assured me that the event will take place as planned. An alternative control will be organised at Coldwell. Don't worry - a refreshments table will be situated somewhere outside the centre!

There have also been problems with a landslip on the brutal little climb at Thursden, just beyond Coldwell on the way to Widdop Reservoir. No worries there either - the road is narrowed to singletrack, but still passable. It is going to close shortly after SoM so it can be rebuilt before the rest of it tumbles down the hillside :o.

The event starts from Hebden Bridge and we will head out over the local hills into the Forest of Bowland in Lancashire, before returning by a different, but equally hilly and scenic route. Last year we had glorious weather, and let's hope for the same this time! The weather pattern seems to be similar to last year so perhaps we will be lucky again?

The main event is 100 km in length and not for those who dislike climbing - there are over 2,500 metres of glorious hills crammed in, and many of those are steep.

Here's a map showing my GPS tracklog from last year's event:
season_of_mists_route.jpg

And the elevation profile:
season_of_mists_profile.jpg

There is an easier sister event for those who might find SoM a bit intimidating. Mellow Fruitfulness is 50 km in length, and has 1,200 metres of climbing.

I got my entry in last week. Do any other forum members fancy having a go?