"I went to school with a guy who did cycling"

dulldave
dulldave Posts: 949
edited October 2008 in Pro race
As a cyclist you'll probably have had workmates give you some chat about a guy who used to "do cycling" up the road from them when they were at school or whatever expecting you to be impressed with the cost of his bike or whatnot

I had an Australian friend do this to me the other day.

"Yeah a guy in my year at school used to do lots of cycling, we used to rip the p1ss out of him." he said.

"Oh yeah" I replied dissinterestedly "Any good was he?"

"Yeah I think so he ended up doing it professionally, Mike Rogers he was called". Turns out to be the man himself.

That caught me off guard a little. I bet their not laughing at him now.
Scottish and British...and a bit French

Comments

• page23
    page23 Posts: 182
    they probably still don't know who he is...
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    I was at my local High Wycombe cycling club 10 mile TT when i was a teenager, and this kid turned up with his mum. Story was he had come in from Hong Kong. He was wearing mountain bike shoes if i remember rightly. It was his first ever 10 miler.... went on to be the doper David Millar.... :twisted:
  • Moomaloid wrote:
    I was at my local High Wycombe cycling club 10 mile TT when i was a teenager, and this kid turned up with his mum. Story was he had come in from Hong Kong. He was wearing mountain bike shoes if i remember rightly. It was his first ever 10 miler.... went on to be the doper David Millar.... :twisted:
    He tested positive,at the evening ten?
    Funny how brits always look to the negative,rather than giving praise
    Common themes....
    Chris Boardman......boring (I actually prefer,analytical)
    Millar....doper (he won the worlds by a country mile,& surely would have won clean)
    Cavendish....arrogant (aren't all the decent sprinters?,just read any article by Barry Hoban,for one)
    so many cols,so little time!
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Moomaloid wrote:
    Common themes....
    Millar....doper (he won the worlds by a country mile,& surely would have won clean)
    Cavendish....arrogant (aren't all the decent sprinters?,just read any article by Barry Hoban,for one)

Not necessarily. EPO will boost perfomance by 4 or 5%, which will shave 3 minutes off a World's TT time. Enough to squash your rivals.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Timoid. wrote:
    Moomaloid wrote:
    Common themes....

Not necessarily. EPO will boost perfomance by 4 or 5%, which will shave 3 minutes off a World's TT time. Enough to squash your rivals.

Not neccesarily depends on who you listen to , over on another thread some folks have donkeys turned it GT superstars while other say it depends on the rider and maybe there wont be as much benefit .

cheers
    MG
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    Moomaloid wrote:
    Common themes....

good shout Nick
  • Moomaloid
    For your information, i'm not one of 'those brits' that focuses on the negatives, infact quite the opposite. I have never liked Millar and his arrogant self righteous ways...

Everyone is allowed an opinion and the right to voice it.. and i love Cav!
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    Cycling fans... Positive about a rider while he's negative, they become negative with his positive...
  • Moomaloid
    Thats all sports fans surely, and why would you be positive about a doper? Odd statement.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    Moomaloid wrote:
    Common themes....

Not neccesarily depends on who you listen to , over on another thread some folks have donkeys turned it GT superstars while other say it depends on the rider and maybe there wont be as much benefit .

cheers
    MG

A 3% difference in a GT equates to about 2.5 hours assuming a tour at the speed run this year. That would turn Johan Van Summeren (@2:27.04) into a tour winner.

It might not make you a Tour winner, but will turn the time put in by a decent domestique into a Tour winning time. Thus the rise of Chiapucci and Rominger.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Moomaloid wrote:

He turned up again last year, Tuesday Evening League event, asked if could have a go, full Saunier-Duval kit, Scott team TT bike. The works. Smashed the course record. :)
  • Back on topic.

Had a conversation with one of my mates in the pub the other day, he's long been aware of my cycling fanaticism (and never passed up an opportunity to make lycra= gay jokes).

Turns out his best friend at school was a kid called Sean Kelly ... 'became a bicycle racer apprently'...
  • DC Ayr
    DC Ayr Posts: 33
    I was talking to a colleague at work the other day. He did his apprenticeship at Weir Pumps (Glasgow) with a bloke who spent all his spare time (and more!) on his bike. The bloke was called Robert Millar - anyone know if he was any good? :wink:
  • DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599

One of the best lines I've seen for a long time.....I actually did laugh out loud, at my desk. No one was convinced about the humour I found in the Excel spreadsheet I was errrr...working on.
    Complicating matters since 1965
  • PauloBets
    PauloBets Posts: 108
    Moomaloid wrote:

Funny...worked aside an Italian colleague of mid 20s in a job in South east, in customer service and he saw me surfing the cycling pages and asked if I knew a guy he went to school with in Tyrol..Italy and then said Fabian Cancellera!!!...we will see next week but I guess Millar was as fast or faster than the robot FA