Cramps

attica
attica Posts: 2,362
edited September 2008 in Health, fitness & training
I rode the Cheddar Challenge today and really pushed myself, I arrived at the 60 mile point with the beginnings of cramp and the rides three major climbs and 40 miles still to go.

Cheddar Gorge hurt, I sat up and just got my cadence going, still passed three or four on the way up and once I reached the flat managed to push out 22mph again no problem.

The next hill was a really long drag, again I chipped away at it and got to the top feeling quite crampy, took five minutes break to stretch out and again felt good as I headed off on the undulous section before Burrington Combe.

Burrington H U R T, let's face it, a hill of this size at mile 95 or so was always going to be a killer.
I got up out of the saddle half way up and it felt like every muscle in both legs cramped up at the same time, I landed back in the saddle and only just kept everything upright.
I did manage to keep it going and made it to the top, having worked through the cramp, and yet again felt loads better once the gradient levelled out.

The final descent came after a short sharp 100m ramp, knowing this road I gave it everything I had, successfully getting out of the saddle without inducing the cramps, crested the rise and sat down ready to freewheel down to the finish.

Everything tightened up again, 3 or 4 minutes at 30+mph trying to ignore the pain/loosen up my legs and concentrate on the job in hand was quite challenging. Turning my legs slowly seemed to help but bu99er me it was painful.

Spent 10 minutes stretching out and cramping up once I got off the bike. (stretched my quad and immediately induced a cramp in my (err I think it'd be) glute (muscle at the back of my thigh)).

Am I waffling on too much?

Anyway, I thought I had my electrolytes fairly sorted, I drank about 5 litres of SIS Go, which has electrolytes in it, I had two Powerbar Gels with Sodium (two others without) three bananas and a ham sandwich and two pieces of homemade flapjack.

I have been working long hours of late and have only managed a handful of 15 mile each way commutes since the Bristol - London on the last Sunday in August.

So getting to the point - What did I do wrong? What can I do to avoid that sort of pain again?

Thanks in advance

Attica
"Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"

Comments

• hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    As I first started reading, I thought you showed the 'classic' symptoms of dehydration, but, having got to the bottom of your post, I see that you drank plenty! :?
    I would have possibly drank less SIS Go and made up the difference with pure water.
    Not sure if that would have helped, though.
    I suffered exactly the same as you once, in a race, but that was dehydration, 'cos I couldn't let go of my handle bars to put the CamelBak tube in my mouth!
    Sorry I couldn't be of any help, mate.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Yep, done dehydration before now, not fun.

Also learnt the hard way about electrolytes a few years back when I started showing the early signs of hyponatremia, thirsty, drinking loads and not hydrating, really dangerous and fortunately right near the end of a ride.

But today's crampy ride was really a mystery to me.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If it was all down to eating and drinking, we could ride on forever. But we can't. I think it was just too much or you! We all have limits, and I think you found yours.
  • Dr_Death
    Dr_Death Posts: 1,262
    Not enough salt!!??!

T'was warm over the weekend and I'm guessing you had a bit of a sweat on. Sweat contains about a gramme of sodium per liter. Sweat loss is going to be in the region of 1l/hour.... SIS go only contains 400mg sodium per serving. So, depending on how long you were out for I reckon you're probably gonna be deficient.
    Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

http://www.vimeo.com/DrDeath
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Give zym or nuun a go, not a carb drink purely electrolyte focused, ive always found sis drinks overloaded with sugars to make them palletable.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X