BCF/CTC Insurance and Time Trials

Leedsblue
Leedsblue Posts: 102
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
Just about to take out BCF or CTC membership for the 3rd party insurance cover.

I may join a local club shortly and try a couple of TT next spring.

I am not sure of the requirements to take part in a TT but I think that either CTC or BCF will be sufficient. Is that correct. I am more tempted towards the CTC but any advice welcomed
============================================

FCN is minimal as I don't see many bikes on the way to work

Comments

• BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    You don't need 3rd party insurance from either the BCF or the CTC in order to take part in TTs. The national time-trialling body, Cycling Time Trials, has insurance for anyone taking part in any TT organised under its regulations. You do however have to be a member of a club in order to be covered by this insurance or the event must be categorised as a 'Come and Try It' event. (Some clubs have a way of making you a temporary member for the duration of the race which gets round this.)

So if you want 3rd party insurance for your general riding, I think either the BCF or the CTC would do.

Ruth
  • Cheers Ruth. I thought that you had to be a member of BCF or CTC, not necessarily for the insurance.

John
    ============================================

FCN is minimal as I don't see many bikes on the way to work
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    No, the only thing you need in order to ride a time trial is to be a member of a club affiliated to the CTT. Through that you become elligible to ride and are covered by insurance.

Good luck with it!

Ruth