Cheddar Challenge

attica
attica Posts: 2,362
Just had a fantastic day out on the Cheddar Challenge - anyone else do it?

For those who don't know, the course has two distinct parts, a 100km loop around the Somerset Levels followed by about 60k of torturous hills.

Thing is the drafting fairies were out in force today, I found myself in several groups where there were a handful of us prepared to do some work and then up to a dozen red faced hangers on who wouldn't, or more probably couldn't take a turn at the front.
I know with that sort of route profile it's going to encourage this sort of behaviour but frankly it was epidemic today and I just wanted to say that it really pi$$ed quite a few people off.

The good thing is that most of those drafting seemed to melt away once the hills started, probably only doing the first 100k which was the short course. You're all a bunch of wusses and you really should look deep into your hearts and ask yourself - did I really manage that time, or was it assisted?

Either that or HTFU and do your turn.

<rant end>

It didn't stop me having a fantastic day on my first dry event this year though, I'll be back for more next year, and I'm GOING to do it in under 6 hours next time, I was tantalisingly close today, 6 hours 9 minutes, which was reasonably respectable considering the terrain.
I hope they resurface the descent into Wells in time for next year though, I practically pooped my pants trying to brake whilst mostly airborn on that horrible surface
"Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"

Comments

• Attica wrote:
    Thing is the drafting fairies were out in force today, I found myself in several groups where there were a handful of us prepared to do some work and then up to a dozen red faced hangers on who wouldn't, or more probably couldn't take a turn at the front.

I'm fairly new to cycling, and quite ignorant of riding ettiquette, so forgive me If I've got this wrong. If you were in a race and dragging competitiors around with you, which then used the rest to gain advantage, I can see how the people at the front might get a bit miffed. But if you're in a sportive and a strong rider and a couple of weaker pie eating types use your draft to keep up with you for a few miles, why worry? You're doing the same amount of work, you get to help some weaker cyclists, and you get to go home with the warm fuzzy feeling that you've helped out some lesser humans. while cleaning off your campy group set.
  • Attica,
    Probably the worst attitude problem I've ever seen. You really need to lighten up or take some medication. So what if some people didn't or couldn't take turn on the front. You seemed happy to share the work with others, so what you said also applies to you "did I really manage that time, or was I (it) assisted". Its not a team time trial, people have entered to put their best efforts into the day and also to enjoy it, however they wish.
    Such events help to promote cycling in general. A fast time and riding in a bunch is an inspiration to many - who will probably do more events- and improve and take the front in when they can. As you are such a hero why didnt you give it some wellie and leave behind all those you despise? If you are just there for the win then I would suggest that you should go and do true competitive racing.
    Rob
    Hills do make I sweat a lot
  • This was my first sportif and the main aim was to get around the course. Something that was very obvious right from the point of signing on was how unfriendly the majority of the competitors were.
    I didn't realise these things could be so competetive, I think Attica sums it all up quite well.
    I was overtaken many many times, without any acknoledement what so ever.
    I remember when cycling was a friendly sport or maybe things are just changing.
  • If you want to remove yourself from the immoral sub-human dirty pathetic scum of the earth that DARED to draft the mighty Attica, oh God of the roads, then there is a thing called a time trial.

Get over yourself.
  • I expect you would have preferred it if those who weren't fast enough to take the lead in the group took a turn at the front and slowed the group's speed down would you? Or would you have had a rant at that as well?

Incidentally, when you weren't at the front of the group what were you doing? Drafting? In which case you need to consider - did you really manage that time or were you assisted?
    Never argue with an idiot - they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience
  • attica
    virtuoso wrote:
    If you want to remove yourself from the immoral sub-human dirty pathetic scum of the earth that DARED to draft the mighty Attica, oh God of the roads, then there is a thing called a time trial.

Get over yourself.

Actually I do Sportives because I enjoy the social element, I always acknowledge people I overtake, I love working in a group, I'm always ready to do some work but just frustrated by people who hang on the back - not acknowledging me or the hard work I'm doing for them.

Which of those is worse?
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Attica wrote:
    ...just frustrated by people who hang on the back - not acknowledging me or the hard work I'm doing for them.
    Do you have to work harder when there's someone behind you then?
    Never argue with an idiot - they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience
  • attica
    Harder than if they took their turn and did a fair share yes
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • attica
    Harder than if they took their turn and did a fair share yes, even if that was only for 30 seconds, at least it'd show willing.

Is there really any great achievement in drafting for a whole sportive?
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Attica wrote:
    Is there really any great achievement in drafting for a whole sportive?
    For me it is an achievement to get close enough to someone who I can draft...

I think that you should let each person judge for themselves what they consider to be an achievement. I certainly don't think that at my current level of fitness I'd be able to take a turn at the front of a group (if I ever managed to catch one) - does that mean I should never draft any groups?

If I managed to complete a sportive having drafted a group the whole way then I'd be more than happy with my achievement.
  • Attica, essentially this is you stamping your feet like a toddler and screaming "It's just not fair!"

If you were so much stronger than these drafters why not start a breakaway amongst the few of you that were taking the front? Or even a solo breakaway and catch the group in front of you!
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Attica wrote:
    or more probably couldn't take a turn at the front.
    Why hold this against them?
    Attica wrote:
    ask yourself - did I really manage that time, or was it assisted?
    It’s called tactics.

If it was such a big thing to you, why didn’t you either burn them off, or ease a moment and wave them forward? Which you can do in either a friendly or a dissatisfied manner, as you choose.

Perhaps feel pleased to have helped, and flattered they found you to be a good wheel to follow.
  • got to say Attica, with that time on that course, you weren't particularly moving quickly yourself, so no need to shout really about anything! :twisted:
    i'll ride anything, but I prefer carbon.......... she screamed!!

www.sportivecentral.com
  • attica
    Crikey, I didn't think you'd all take this so seriously.
    If I can't throw a toddler tantrum here, then where?

Certainly beats having a tantrum on the bike and spoiling someone's day.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Attica wrote:

To be honest I can sympathise to a certain degree, but you got to work on the basis that you ride these on your own, and if you really don't want to sit at the front, sit up, move to the right, when safe and slow down, they'll come thru.
    Also hold the thought then when you've done a ride one week, get to your next event and the wheels come off and you need to "sit in" for the duration your original comment.
    it will happen

www.sportivecentral.com
  • Attica wrote:

Sorry, Attica but I think you're unlikely to find a sympathetic ear around here. I think the best piece of advice you have had on this thread is the one to go and ride competitively if the events of the weekend were so maddening.

I'm pretty fit, do a few sportives a year, have finished top 10% twice in the Etape, 2005 and 2006. On MOST sportives I start off with a group who seem to be my kind of pace. Ineviatbly my competitve nature means I have chosen far too quick a bunch and eventually after yo-yoing off the back a few times I find myself no longer able to do any work but struggling to hang on to the wheel, somewhat embarrassed by my lack of contribution. What should I do. Drop off and end up riding the last 40 miles on my own? It's a SPORTIVE. The actual term means that it is sports-LIKE, but not true SPORT, not in the competitve sense. Even if many of us treat it as a 'race' (if only against our own capabilities) as we don't race elsewhere. If I was ever good enough to drag someone around all day, I'd be very proud and feel genuinely good about giving someone else a better day than they'd have had without me.

You attitude does need a little self-examination, methinks...

ben
  • Actually I enjoyed a bit of drafting, When the Fred Baker and Pendragon bunch came through, I hung onto them for quite a distance. Quite an achievement for a 43 year old who smokes 40 a day!!

Don't try and tell me that Cadel Evans or Lance Armstrong takes their turn either!! 'cos they don't. Okay, they compete for money, - I competed for the fun of it!

Sorry Attica but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Apart from being held up by cows and riding through the crud (evidence all over my nice clean bike) I had a good day.

See you on Dartmoor next week.

• attica
    Ah at last, someone who wants to talk about the actual day.

Those Fred Baker boys were seriously fast, they rode over the top of my group in about the first mile, chapeau for staying with them, hope you did a turn at the front :wink:

I got covered in Cow doings too, then picked up loads of dust when following an HGV at one point, it was like being gently tarred and feathered. didn't stop me throughly enjoying the day though.

Did you do the short course or the long?
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • I only did the short course unfortunately!

I rode 20 miles to get to Cheddar and 20 home afterwards, so I felt my 100 miles was 'in-the-bag' anyway. :D

Downloading my Polar when I got home, I found I spent 65% of my ride time in HR Max LOL. (this probably explains the 14MPH for the last 5 miles!!!)

3hours 11 mins. I am more than happy with that.

Did you do the long course?
  • attica
    Yep, the whole shebang, it was quite a contrast between the first 60 and last 40 miles.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • I don't know if anyone else was fooled but I very nearly joined the Langport Triathalon!

The signs were pretty much identical, :?

I have ridden the rest of the course before (The Gorge, Burrington Combe,etc) so I knew what to expect, my legs weren't up to it though, like I said I only really intended this to be a warm up for the Tour of Dartmoor next Saturday. Having ridden it last year I can tell you That one IS a toughie!
  • attica
    Yep, when I came past there were frantic marshalls waving a "Langport Triathlon" sign at us all.

Can't help wondering if there was some cross pollination in either direction
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Attica wrote:
    Can't help wondering if there was some cross pollination in either direction
    Happened to me in reverse about 5 years ago. I was in a duathlon which crossed a sportive and the signage wasn't clear. I only rode about 100 m up the sportive route before realising my mistake and doubling back, but it still cost me a couple of places in the overall classification (fortunately none in the age-group classification, though).
  • Wow. Sorry to Attica for sparking such an attack there.

Me and a friend (both beginners/commuters) did the 60 and thouroughly enjoyed the day. Lovely weather, friendly bunch of riders and the smell of fresh cow dung hanging around our feet for half a day.

We got directed into the triathalon to much applause and cheering. We should've stayed quiet, we might have got a winner's medal. Quite emabarrassing.
  • attica
    You might have found the run leg quite difficult in cycle shorts and shoes!
    I didn't recall riding through too much cow dung but like you I was covered in the stuff, I think farmers should be given pooper scoopers.

Cheers for the apology, must admit I'm quite hacked off by some of the more personal attacks especially the one criticising my time Loafer-person that's just out of order. For all you know I could be an 80 year old with one lung and a wooden leg.

As I said before, this IS the proper place to throw a tantrum not out in the middle of a fantastic ride which could well ruin someone's day, it didn't actually bother me that much, I was just venting.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Well Attica i must admit when i first read your post i was fuming. Having read all the other posts i feel enough has been said.

I did the ride on Sunday - the whole 160km in 4hrs 59 mins - and i agree it was a great day, in fact it was a great end to a good first season. I did 7 sportives this year and found this to be the most competitive.
    "Pain is temporary...
    ... If I quit, however, it lasts forever. "

Lance Armstrong
  • attica
    The Bullet wrote:
    Well Attica i must admit when i first read your post i was fuming. Having read all the other posts i feel enough has been said.

I did the ride on Sunday - the whole 160km in 4hrs 59 mins - and i agree it was a great day, in fact it was a great end to a good first season. I did 7 sportives this year and found this to be the most competitive.

Chapeau Bullet
    Good time, there weren't many in front of you at all.

My season is carrying on until the Exmoor Beast in November, I'd thoroughly recommend the ride, fantastically organised and again beautiful scenery, though by that time of the year if the weather is awful I might reconsider on the day!
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • My season is carrying on until the Exmoor Beast in November

I have looked in to this ride and would love to give it a go one day. My wife is due to give birth on the 6th Nov so won't be around this year to take part.

Hopefully i will be able to keep some form of light training up over the winter and resume next seaon where i fleft off. We'll have to see how much time the baby takes up!

Good luck at the beast if you go through with it :)
    "Pain is temporary...
    ... If I quit, however, it lasts forever. "

Lance Armstrong
  • [

Cheers for the apology, must admit I'm quite hacked off by some of the more personal attacks especially the one criticising my time Loafer-person that's just out of order. For all you know I could be an 80 year old with one lung and a wooden leg.

Attica, wasn't a criticism as such, more an observation, and more tongue in cheek, which I tried to symbolise at the end. It wasn't my intention to offend.
    Though fair to say that if you did have one leg and one lung and were 8o, we would have no doubt been informed in your original post! :wink:

www.sportivecentral.com
  • attica
    Actually I'm 79 have one leg and a wooden lung :wink:
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"