Land's End - John o'Groats

ASpencer
ASpencer Posts: 8
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
I'm an utter novice at bikes but have decided to challenge myself to do Land's End to John o'Groats in 10 months time with a friend. Just looking for any advice anyone can offer me really (that's advice other than "Don't do it!!"), I currently have a very basic mountain bike which I've not ridden for a few years (so you can tell how incredibly novice I am) and am looking into getting a touring bike ASAP to get some serious training underway! Any suggestions of bike models?

Cheers,
Andrew

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704
    Are you planning to do the ride supported or unsupported?

What will you use the bike for other than the LEJOG?

What's the budget?
  • firstly my advice is do it......

My next door neighbour who is 70 did it in May over a 2 week period on a hybrid with no issues other than the weather.

His training was 25 to 40 miles 3 times a week from sept. but he stuck at it right thru the winter and built up his core strength with gym sessions

If you don't purchase in the next few days my suggestion is to get out on your existing MTB whilst the weather is still amazingly good and its light until 7 ish

Visit your local bike shop for some advice, its also a great time of year to pick up some real bargains.

....of course get some proper shorts and don't wear any underpants with them....seams will give you saddle sore grief
  • If you're riding unsupported then you will need a touring bike to carry your gear. Claud Butler and Dawes have some good quality tourers at reasonable prices but if you want to splash out you can get one custom built from a good bike shop.
    Here's a box,a musical box. Wound up and ready to play.
    (brian Cant,Camberwick Green).
  • thanks for all the helpful replies!

I think we'll be riding unsupported for the majority of the drip. Depending on if we pick East or West of pennines, we may end up doing the whole trip unsupported (East of pennines is longer but there are three places I could stop nicely spread out along the route, West of pennines is shorter and I'd have only one place I could certainly stop). My budget at the moment is £300ish but I can afford to go further if i'm advised so by lots of people. Bike other than LEJOG training+lejog will just be general use, going to college and back etc.

I've already conversed with a bike literate friend of mine and he's taking me on a tour of bike shops some point this week which should be handy.

I'll keep an eye out for claud butler and dawes bikes and will look them up online too. Thanks!
  • This link is a list of tales from people who have done LEJOG, it should provide some inspiration and motivation.
    http://www.users.waitrose.com/~ianclare/links.htm
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
    Enjoy the finest cycling in the Peak District.
    47, 75 and 111 mile routes.
    http://www.beestonccsportive.co.uk/
  • hey, thanks! I actually found that last night and read through it. You're right, it's a very good website!

I just contacted my friend and we've decided to challenge ourselves a step further and tandem ride it. We're off to a few bike shops on wednesday and will have a look about. I notice there are some Dawes touring tandems, are these of good quality too?

Our budget pulled together is £600 for a tandem.
  • jimwin
    jimwin Posts: 208
    Having done LEJoG in mid-May this year a few points...

- late May to end June is best for weather and avoidance of the infamous Scots midges
    - Decide how many miles a day and train so you can easily cover the daily distance
    - You can go fully supported with van support, B&B or camping. I did B&B and needed only a large saddlebag (Carradice Super C)
    - Prepare your route carefully with planned stops for morning, noon and afternoon (to keep up your your intake of carbs and caffeine). Yell.com is a great resource for finding tea stops. Sunday is often a problem in rural areas with everything closed.
    - Consider using a GPS (though make sure you have paper backup).
    - If using a GPS, use Bikely.com or bike radar to prepare a .DPX file that can upload to your GPS
    - Make sure you have enough gears with your shortest gear no more than 30".

I've posted my ride details of at www.wilkinet.demon.co.uk/Home/LEJOG2008.html

(though you're probably not going for the 100+ miles per day I did).

It's a terrific experience and all the better if you make sure you are well prepared.

Good luck

- JimW
  • ASpencer
    ASpencer Posts: 8
    edited September 2008
    thanks a lot, jimwin, that's a terrific site, I'll certainly have a good look through! I didn't realise there were van services for such a long route! Do you know of any particually reliable vans able to do that?

I did the Coast to coast (walking st.bees - robin hood's bay) this year, it's fascinating to see that shap is the crossing point for many on both routes, I'll have to make a point of trying to stay in the same lodge as I stayed in last may!
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    Just for interest here's a link to my LEJoG blog (done this May) as it's not listed on the ultimate links site yet - http://6-daylejog.blogspot.com/

a serious case of small cogs
  • Midges? In Scotland? No more . . . nearly. Thanks to cyclists.

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Articl ... 1?UserKey=
  • thanks a lot, fred, that was an enthralling read, very well written too! I'll be sure to look into some of the equipment you took like the garmin vista hcx which sounds reliable. I'm also glad to see you met someone else who's never travelled more than 40miles and who would attempt and complete it on a tandem, and in less time than I aim for!
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    toontra wrote:
    Just for interest here's a link to my LEJoG blog (done this May) as it's not listed on the ultimate links site yet - http://6-daylejog.blogspot.com/

a good read toontra- you've just made me late for bed :lol: A bit brave doing it on your own mind and i'm not sure i'd fancy your choice of roads. I think if i ever do that (very unlikely) i think i would go for a more leisurely and scenic route.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... otohosting

how does something like that look? I don't mean that actual bike but is that make/model of good quality?
  • jimwin
    jimwin Posts: 208
    ASpencer wrote:
    thanks a lot, jimwin, that's a terrific site, I'll certainly have a good look through! I didn't realise there were van services for such a long route!

"Van services"?? Where did you get that from? We B&B'd all the way with no other support.

- JimW
  • hi sorry, i must have misunderstood this part of your message before:
    You can go fully supported with van support,