edited September 2008 in Road beginners
Just did my first lond ride yesterday 73 miles

and now have decided its time to buy some cycle shorts

i was wondering what make i should be looking at and what price i should pay

rob

Comments

• DW01
    DW01 Posts: 66
    Well i bought some Nike Pro Cyling Shorts the other day and theyre incredible compared to my old ones which were some cheap ones from decathlon for about a tenner. They cost me about 15 quid but online shops tend to sell them for more and theyre quite hard to come by, but most people will tell you assos, but you do pay out the arse for them.

Altura will do the job as will Endura or cannondale if you wish to splash out another tenner or so more. But your looking at between £15 and £60 for this area.

Further down this page has some clearance stuff thats not a bad price.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Cate ... ageIndex=1
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    I have a pair of Giordana Tenax (c.£50) and a pair of Assos (c.£120).

I wear the Giordana's way more than the Assos. The Assos are better on longer rides, but for anything up to 100km, I'd recommend the Giordana's in a heartbeat.

It's also worth noting that the Giordana's have washed much better than the Assos bibs.
  • I have found these to be fantastic:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... ryrn_31270
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Get bibs.

I have used Santani, Assos, DeMarchi, Cheap Nike and would have to say. Assos are the bees knees! BUT the cheaper ones are over priced, and the expensive ones, are well...very very expensive.

DeMarchi, good but seem to bobble more than other shorts HOWEVER, they wash better than Assos, and seem to be made out of quite thick lycra

Santani, HATE these bibs, their only redeeming features are the colour (nice Navy colour) and the way the stand up to washing. The fit is quite poor, the Gel chamois feels like a nappy and the seams of the panels are in the wrong place
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • i am very impressed with the bibs made by dhb :D
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Cannot beat Decathlon shorts are great for £6.95, I think it is. Mtb are £9.95. Bibs are about £15.00. Worth a visit, for whatever sports you are into.
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800

i was wondering what make i should be looking at and what price i should pay

rob

Do you mean baggy shorts or lycra shorts?
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    I've got some Endura ones, amongst others - wouldn't describe them as particularly comfy but they're adequate.

At the bare minimum I'd be looking at something like this:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=9334

If you've got the budget though, pay more, get something better.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389

:shock: I can't believe you did a 73 mile ride before realising you need cycling shorts....
    You must be hard as f**k!!!
    I have Nike and DHB, both are ok, but I would wear any make rather than ride without an insert.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Thanks for all the advice guys

Well it got to about 30 miles then i started to think "hmmm this isnt very comfy"
  • Thanks for all the advice guys

Well it got to about 30 miles then i started to think "hmmm this isnt very comfy"

:lol:

BEEN THERE.... :oops:
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    dhb ones from Wiggle are very good for £15
  • An honourable mention from me for Lusso gel shorts. I find that they are nearly as comfy as Assos up to 50 miles and they are much more comfortable off the bike.
  • DHB are good but I've never used them on a long ride. For anything over 50 miles then I use my Castelli "free" bis which were not cheap but are exceedingly comfy, especially when combined with some chamois cream. If you're going to be riding long distances regularly then I'd suggest it's worth investing in one pricey pair, or get the DHB ones and try them over long distance...
  • Giordana are very good value IME. Ribble Cycles sell them at very good prices.
  • jezcc
    jezcc Posts: 111
    Lusso ones are good and are excellent value. I have pro-gel bib ones which cost me about £35 from Ribble and they are super comfy. No pain even after a 75 miler.
    FCN 4-6 depending

2008 Rocky Mountain ETSX
    2008 Ribble
  • If found these de Marchi race shorts half price at Cycle Store: -

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDeta ... goryID=311

Bought one pair and loved them so i ordered another couple of pairs last week and they came the next day!

They are really comfy :D
  • If found these de Marchi race shorts half price at Cycle Store: -

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDeta ... goryID=311

Bought one pair and loved them so i ordered another couple of pairs last week and they came the next day!

They are really comfy :D

think i might have to buy a pair of those
    along with some dry line shorts