Advice needed for rear mech please

fatblokefromwarwick
fatblokefromwarwick Posts: 331
edited September 2008 in MTB beginners
Whilst out today the chain ran over the largest cog and got stuck between that and the spokes, several times :cry:

I've now stopped this by adjusting the 'L' screw but now the chain grates on the cog above when shifting to a smaller one.

I've been trying now for ages to get it right and am having no luck.

Is there a easy way to set this up correctly, as I'm out tomorrow on a 25 mile run and need to stop this really annoying noise

I'm running a SRAM XO rear mech with SRAM X9 triggers on a Boardman Pro MTB

Thanks for any help in advance

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    re read the info on park tools and start at the basics again.

but just check you mech hanger is not bent first.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Sounds like you're indexing is out (play with the barrel adjusters on the shifters), probably from the chain getting stuck, as Nick says you may have bent the hanger slightly if you were pedalling hard when the chain jumped.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    The two screws are just stops. One stops the chain jamming over the small sprocket and the other stops the chain, as you say, jamming over the big sprocket.

You should just need to adjust at the cable adjuster on the mech slightly or it may need re tightening. May as well get a bike shop to do it properly for a couple of quid and save yourself the stress.
  • Cheers guys, much improved now, not 100% but am able to ride soundly tomorrow. :)

Must get it in for a full service soon, needs rear wheel bearings anyway.