Another Newbie!

paul_GY
paul_GY Posts: 50
edited September 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

First post for me on this site, i recently started mountain biking with some work mates and must say i have been bitten by the bug. I don't have my own bike at the moment, im riding my mates cheap full suspension bike and im finding it really hard to keep up with the other guys. They all have very nice bikes and have been riding over six months now, im yet to finish a ride with them as im just not fit enough at the moment. I have played golf for years but you don't get fit doing that, Im listing my clubs on ebay soon which should net me about £700 ish.

Question: how long did it take you to start feeling fitter and more in control on the bike when you first started.

Paul

Comments

• hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    You'll soon notice your control skills getting better, as you encounter rough stuff that previously phased you, will not offer the same fear! :wink:
    As for the fitness, I think you'll only notice that when you reflect on your passed rides, and realise how bad you used to feel for a given distance/ speed or whatever.
    The fitter you get the harder you go, so you still get knackered regardless!! :roll:

Oh, the GY stand for Gt.Yarmouth by any chance?
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • beski
    beski Posts: 542
    Your mates full susser probably weighs a ton, so it's not a fair reflection of your fitness. If you get a hardtail for £500-£600 you'll find that you'll keep up much easier on that!
    You'll find that a better bike/ride will breed confidence aswell
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    I agree with beski.

I used to have (I still have) a cheap steel fullsus. bike wich weighted a lot.
    But when I bought my light alu hardtail this sommer, I've noticed that I was going faster than before, even though my fitnes level was the same.

So don't worry about you fitnes, with a lighter bike and a few rides, you're not going be behind your mates anymore.
  • My fitness is pretty bad at the moment, I'm 44 and have been a long distance hgv driver for 17 years. I've now changed professions and I'm much more active, I've got about £600 to spend on a bike but most I've tried so far seem to big for me, I'm only 5' 6" and 27" inside leg.

Btw its Grimsby hopper!
  • hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    edited September 2008
    paul_GY wrote:
    ...recently started mountain biking with some work mates...
    ...im yet to finish a ride with them
    Some mates!

Could they not choose an easier ride or just wait for you every so often?
    paul_GY wrote:
    most I've tried so far seem to big for me
    I'm also 5'6". Never measured my inside leg. My newest bike has a 16" frame to keep it chuckable but I could have managed on a 18" frame had I wanted a more stretched out position on the bike.

Don't buy any size of any bike without trying it out. At the very least ride it around on the tarmac outside the shop.

There's plenty of bikes for the vertically challenged.
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • paul_GY wrote:
    My fitness is pretty bad at the moment, I'm 44 and have been a long distance hgv driver for 17 years. I've now changed professions and I'm much more active, I've got about £600 to spend on a bike but most I've tried so far seem to big for me, I'm only 5' 6" and 27" inside leg.

Btw its Grimsby hopper!

im about your size (5'6 and about 28" inside leg) and my bike is a 17" frame. so i think 16" or 17" frame bike would fit you the best. of couse, you still need to go into shop and sit on it to test it. :)
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    What bike are you planing to buy?
  • My local halfords and lbs would only let me sit on bikes and not ride them outside, I like the look of the combi delux, gt av, cindercone and the rockhopper !oh and the zen 1. The bike I ride at the moment has got a low cross bar but it seems a long stretch to the bars.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I'm 5' 8" and have a 15" hard tail and a 16" full sus.
    Ideally (IMHO), you should be able to stand over your bike and be able to put your hand (on it's edge!) between the top tube and your crotch comfortably. Then sit on the bike and make sure you feel comfortable seated on the bike. This is affected by the top tube length. Small alterations can be made by adjusting the stem length/ angle.
    Like everyone else says, try as many different frames as possible before you part with any cash.
    I'd certainly find another LBS first. Any good shop will understand that you need to try before you buy.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i only learned to ride a bike a couple of yrs ago and am still learning. you have done the most impoortant hting and that is to get started, you will be amazed at how much fitter you get by just being out on the trails.

i find if i ride with folk who are loads better than me i just tag along at the back and am just despertately trying to kepp up instead of enjoying being out for a ride.

a newer lighter bike will deffo help and you will just get better control and fitness by just being out riding your bike. i reckon having fun is the key, if you are enjoying yourself, you will be out more often, that will make you more skilfull and fitter and then you start to enjoy it even more.

you are gonna get a very nice bike for your budget by the way.
  • The thing is with no experience i don't know what I'm looking for really when i test a bike. I did a 20 mile trail ride with some guys today and coped a lot better, I did a couple of miles on a combi disc and it was 10 times easier. I felt a lot less fatigue in my arms and upper body. I also took a bit of food this time and an energy drink, which seemed to pep me.
  • Anonymous
    sounds like things are going in the right direction and food and drink is deffo an importnt part of a long ride.

there is a what bike sticky in the buying advice forum i think which will give you an idea of what to expect but in short, 700 quid should get you a very nice hardtail, with a well damped fork, 27 gears, well under 30lbs in weight and hydraulic brakes. the rest is down to feel.
  • Will the, 2008 Commencal Combi disc, ride similar to the 2008 Commencal Combi delux. because I rode the combi disc in a real life situation today and it felt so nice. If so I might order the delux, they do look very similar.
  • Anonymous
    it wll be streets ahead, essentially the same bike but with better upgrades. always worth buying the best version of a bike you can afford (upto a limit)
  • HI Paul

Have you thought about getting a good deal on a end of season 08 or even 07 bike? get more for your money that way, git a good deal on my bike.
    just a thought.

Paul
    Orange 5 Pro
    Identiti Mr Hyde