west lancs rides for new roadie

spondonchris
spondonchris Posts: 74
edited October 2017 in Road beginners
Hi there. Can anyone recommend any good routes from the Rufford / Burscough area for me to start on as a new road cyclist or do you know of a local group that may be happy for a newbie to tag along to learn which are the best routes locally. :?:

Comments

• dcab
    dcab Posts: 255
    were do u live ?
    veritas vos liberabit
  • I live between Rufford and Burscough
  • dcab
    abit late now ! been out your way this morning? a good short loop 4 you - newburgh,parbold hill,mawdsley,eccleston,croston back on to a59?

if u want somethin with a few bumps pabold,standish,red rock,blackrod,horwich,belmont,rivington,adlington,standish & back through parbold?
    theres always a fast run to southport? go early to avoid traffic on a59 & a565.
    veritas vos liberabit
  • thanks for the tips on the routes. I was also out this morning and went via hoscar moss, mawdesley, eccleston, croston, rufford, holmeswood and back to rufford again past martin mere. It took me about an hour and 15 minutes, so I think I need to work a bit more and do some longher routes to build up fitness. I did see several cyclists out and a group so perhaps one was you !!
    I was thinking of trying a run to rivington and back to see if I could do the distance, although I am sure this is no mileage at all for more experienced riders.
    I've only had the bike 2 weeks and I did try parbold hill last weekend and it nearly killed me as I amused to going over it on my mountain bike and I realised very quickly I haven't got the low gears on the roadbike, so I just had to go for it which I did, but I thought my lungs were going to burst. :roll:
  • dcab
    I was also out this morning and went via hoscar moss, mawdesley, eccleston, croston, rufford, holmeswood and back to rufford again past martin mere. It took me about an hour and 15 minutes,

i've only been riding road bikes 4 months and used to worry about times? i do'nt bother now i do the longer weekend rides at a steady pace and put faster 1 -2 hour rides in during the week? each to there own it works 4 me :?:
    veritas vos liberabit
  • dcab wrote:
    abit late now ! been out your way this morning? a good short loop 4 you - newburgh,parbold hill,mawdsley,eccleston,croston back on to a59?

if u want somethin with a few bumps pabold,standish,red rock,blackrod,horwich,belmont,rivington,adlington,standish & back through parbold?
    theres always a fast run to southport? go early to avoid traffic on a59 & a565.

Parbold Hill, ouch!! :oops: Always a good test!
  • does the "bumpy" ride suggested have harder hills than parbold? and is it back roads or main roads? would like to find a route that is back roads and not built up areas if possible. Also are there any club rides locally?
  • dcab
    some good climbs round rivington ,belmont and anglezark? like any ride u have a mix of a roads and country lanes, im not a club rider i think your nearest clubs would be wigan or southport?
    veritas vos liberabit
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    The bumpy ride does indeed have some decent climbs - mostly on quietish country roads but beware of the motorbikes on a saturday and sunday over Rivington - though if you get there before lunch they are all still in bed.

And Parbold Hill will still hurt no matter how much road work you do - you'll just get up it faster!!
  • Another option would be to head for Southport and pick up the road through Bankes and Tarleton, which has unusual landscape and very flat - it can be quite dramatic on a grey wet day.

One of my favourite early morning Sunday rides is to follow Route 91 through Aughton and out through Cleaves Hill and you can cut back towards Rufford at various points.

Or follow the Bradley Wiggins route as covered in Cycling Weekly - go on Cycling Weekly and search the rides.

Clubs? As per 2 already mentioned plus Ormskirk.
    I've thought of joining a club this year but cannot decide which one.

Also i quite enjoy Rainford by pass on a quiet morning because you can stay on the cycle lane and get some speed up, just watch the glass from people who seem to like throwing bottles on to the cycle lane.
    Tarmac Chewer
  • Another option would be to head for Southport and pick up the road through Bankes and Tarleton, which has unusual landscape and very flat - it can be quite dramatic on a grey wet day.

One of my favourite early morning Sunday rides is to follow Route 91 through Aughton and out through Cleaves Hill and you can cut back towards Rufford at various points.

Or follow the Bradley Wiggins route as covered in Cycling Weekly - go on Cycling Weekly and search the rides.

Clubs? As per 2 already mentioned plus Ormskirk.
    I've thought of joining a club this year but cannot decide which one.

Also i quite enjoy Rainford by pass on a quiet morning because you can stay on the cycle lane and get some speed up, just watch the glass from people who seem to like throwing bottles on to the cycle lane.
    Tarmac Chewer
  • what is route 91 ?

thanks for all the ideas so far guys, I am taking note and planning for next weekend already.
  • Regional Route 91 forms the Southern Loop in and around the West and South Pennine Moors, passing Pendle Hill and crossing the West Lancashire plain.

www.sustrans.org.uk :)
    Tarmac Chewer
  • thanks for that. Have downloaded route 91 and will look at using part of it as a route. Also found the Bradley wiggins ride which looks good, didn't realise he lives locally - learn something new everyday.
    Forecast for the weekend looks good, so look forward to getting out there.
  • kinesin
    kinesin Posts: 100
    I know they Middleton's shop in Ormskirk has meetup on Sunday morning, and I imagine Jack Paker's in Burcough (the best LBS around IMO) also does.
    I'm in Southport and looking to get back into the longer rides, hopefully getting some decent winter mileage. I know when I used to ride out with a set of guys from Formby that we would cake stop at Fettlers Wharf Marina‎, might be worth seeing if group goes from there (it was full of various cyclist when we arrived)
    I've tried finding my old GPS routes, this get's close to your location:
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2097840
    If you fancy a joining up for a ride, pm me.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Burscough-Heaton’s Bridge-Bangor’s Green-(nearly)Downholland Cross-Clieves Hill (coming up from the south is the route used in races; the rise from the west is the steepest)-Primrose Hill-Ormeskirk-Lathom-Burscough
    Or carry on from Lathom
    -semicircle to south around Lathom Hall (maybe take the little road at Ashtons rather than the bypass)-Newburgh-Holland Lees (this is a secret couple of nice quiet miles)- Appley Bridge-down(!)Parbold Hill- Newburgh-little road crossing canal-Burscough
    Alternate to Appley Bridge/Parbold Hill stretch: Holland Lees-Roby Mill-Dalton (right at church)-Newburgh (less traffic than Parbold Hill)

There are quiet okay roads south and west of Downholland Cross and also towards/around Bickerstaffe. Choose the yellow and brown roads on the Ordnance Survey map no. 108.
  • Another option is to go through Lathom, along the Rainford By-Pass, either stay on the bypass or go through Rainford. And if you're feeling brave then you could go up Billinge Hill, it's 17% or fractionally steeper then 1:6, or if you chicken out then you could go around the hill and through Billing, then Ashurst or Appley Bridge, there's a big descent before Appley, I've managed 45mph going down it :twisted:

Then the option is to go down Parbold or maybe go through Mawdesley or maybe Eccleston or Croston.

If you want to go further a field, how about the Cheshire lanes?
  • thanks to everyone who has responded. all routes are greatly appreciated and will be tried out over the next few weekends. I've been out for a couple of rides over the last couple of weks, including parbold hill again!! to try and get a feel for it and am finding I am back at my house in 60 to 90 mins as I am still working in mountain bike speed / distance which doesn't compute into road distance.

Am thinking of doing a bit more mileage before tagging along with anyone as I am likely to get left behind until I get used to riding for longer periods. I also need to get a cycle computer as I have no idea what speed I am keeping or distance covered. I fI knew this at least I would have an idea if I could keep up with anyone else

thanks again for routes, keep them coming and would like to take up the offers of rides when I can do a bit more. Will definitely be trying out cafes for cake !!! :lol:
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Ashurst beacon is a great hill for training on.I have done over 50mph coming down the other side through roby mill and then I come down Parbold hill and up Ashurst again.I do a few circuits usually and there are several short cuts or if you are feeling brave you could go around the other way,Roby Mill hill is a real killer to get up. [/url]http://www.visitlancashire.com/site/country-escapes/cycling/lancashire-cycling-routes
    Check out the above website when it works you can download rides for west lancs.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Chris,
    If you're starting to get into road cycling then your best bet is to join a club or try your hand at going out with them on a weekend clubrun.
    Southport CC is probably your nearest one. They meet up every Saturday near the Plough Pub at 9.30am. It's a mixed group and they take it easy if there is anyone new.
    I am a member and they're a great bunch - been going out with then every saturday for the last two years even tho I live near Liverpool city centre.
    They're really friendly and there is always a cafe stop to refuel. Here's their website: http://www.southportcc.co.uk. There's a link on their for where they meet up.
  • Hi

I'm wondering if any Rufforders such as Spondonchris are still living here. I just moved to the area so might be interested to join for the odd ride.
  • Bombdogs is on to a winner - I joined a local club and it's been brilliant. I'm a member of Harry Middleton CC, based in Ormskirk and our rides are on a Sunday morning. We usually stop at the Boathouse Brasserie in Rufford for cake and drinks and our rides go in all directions from Ormskirk. Flat to the west, hilly to the east, and all the rolling stuff locally. You'd be most welcome!

http://www.hmiddletoncc.co.uk/

EDIT - just realised how old the original thread is!