LEJOG on a Lapierre... thoughts?

dcvh007
dcvh007 Posts: 15
edited October 2008 in Tour & expedition
Just been down the local bike shop... I am planning on doing lejog next year and spoke to some really helpful guys in there about my budget [about £700] and my road experience [practically none!]

They pointed me in the direction of a lapierre. Said it was a really comfortable bike and good as not a very low racing position.

What do people think? Would this be a good option?

Bike is here... http://www.lapierrebikes.com/lapierre/e ... R-LITE-300

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I don't know about the particular bike, but for £700 you should be able to get at least a Tiagra equipped bike, Sora is usually found on £500 bikes. I am one of those people that really doesn't like the thumb levers on Sora shifters. Most of the mainstream brands will do Tiagra equipped bikes with fairly relaxed geometry in your price range, so shop around and try some out.
  • Any roadworthy bike can be used - racer, fixed, tourer, MTB, sit up and beg, folding etc. I suppose you do it on a BMX - and probably has been done - pretty arduous I would think!!

So you could do LEJOG on this bike - no probs. Not much room for luggage - but probably be able to fix on a saddle and handlebar bag. If you just road the bike without bags you'd need vehicle support. Earlier this year I met a British Army team at a camp site in Southport - all on top notch thoroughbred racers. They had vehicles to carry their tents and all their personal kit. They even had a bikestand for repairs - if any of you lads are reading this thanks again for fixing my son's pannier carrier.

Off the topic - their LEJOG was via hikes up Snowdon, Scafell Pike and Ben Nevis.
    T Farr
  • volvine
    volvine Posts: 409
    hi my mate did it last year on a £200 carara from Halfords with 14 gears and he did it the hard way north ot south in 5 days so yes the bike you are looking at will do the job fine and remember it is the legs not the bike.

just a thought the Bianchi c2c range might be worth a look as a relaxed position and good quality bike.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    People can do LEGOG on almost any bike they happen to have but that is not your question. Is it wise to spend your £700 on that bike rather than any other.

I think the Lappiere is a bit too racey for LEGOG. It has no real mudguard clearance and no luggage rack fittings. The steerer tube looks like it is cut quite low for a racey riding position. The gears are OK for light luggage but the more you carry the lower gears you need.
    Most hardcore endurance riders use something a bit closer to a touring bike. The Audax style of bike is a really useful one, using brakes with more clearance (long drop) so it has room for 28mm tyres + mudguards and a light rack.

What kind of support will you have. If you are going self contained you will need some luggage capability. 2 small panniers should suffice for B&B/hostelling style but you will need larger ones for camping. A fully supported rider can do it on a race bike.

Are you going to be training through the winter or commuting to work? Mudguards and rack will come in handy so I would suggest a bike with the neccessary threaded eyelets on frame and fork. Many people manage without, using a variety of clamps on their frame but why do this by choice.