HGV Google Map

woodford2barbican
woodford2barbican Posts: 1,505
edited September 2008 in Commuting chat
This is a work in progress which should be a powerful resource in bringing people's attention to this issue,

Map of HGV incidents in London

If anyone has any incidents to add, please PM or post. I have left the Blackfriars incident from last week off until I have found media resource or a name.

It is currently only London as 1/3 of the deaths involving cyclists and HGVs occur in London.

Comments

• MUst be a record - 114 views no comments.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Timely and important piece of work you're doing, but I really felt wierd giving it a "loved it" rating, if you get what I mean.

Difficult subject I guess.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Slightly disturbing to look at but could be educational. Different coloured pegs could also be used for less serious accidents, perhaps?
  • downfader wrote:
    Slightly disturbing to look at but could be educational. Different coloured pegs could also be used for less serious accidents, perhaps?

The Edinburgh Evening News ran an article like this a week ago. In fact, Scotlands biggest organised cycle, Pedal for Scotland had taken place the day before. They had one picture of some no mark local radio edjit DJ posing at the end a couple of lines of text. Thats all. Then on the next page they had a double page spread with large colour map about cycling fatalities. The map of central edinburgh marking the events in a very distasteful traffic light colour code. Red = Fatality, Amber = major injuries, green = minor incidents. After all the effort of the PfS event organisers. Getting those 5000 people on thier bikes and a lot of them not regular users. Scaremongering like that by the EEN would have changed the minds of those who thought they would get the bike out a little more oftern in a split second. Pretty poor I thought.
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Hmm I do wonder if a map representing the amount of HGV and larger vehicle usage (rather than just fatalities) might actually allow cyclists to plot their journey safer. :?
  • Having done a little research into this the last few days - the most telling statistic to me is the following.

Whilst deaths and serious injuries of cyclists have been falling over recent years, the number of deaths caused by accidents with HGVs and their like has remained the same. Therefore increasing as an overall percentage of cycling deaths.

To me that quite clearly means this is a problem that is not yet being effectively tackled by any current road safety initiative.
  • Interesting (if thats the right word) - Female cyclists and Male messengers ? :(
  • Having done a little research into this the last few days - the most telling statistic to me is the following.

Whilst deaths and serious injuries of cyclists have been falling over recent years, the number of deaths caused by accidents with HGVs and their like has remained the same. Therefore increasing as an overall percentage of cycling deaths.

To me that quite clearly means this is a problem that is not yet being effectively tackled by any current road safety initiative.
    I find it interesting that its always assumed to be the fault of the driver of the HGV, however several people have said to me over the last few days that part of the problem at least seems to be with the current high number of new/inexperienced riders in London who don't have the experience when dealing with heavy traffic and have problems knowing how to position themselves properly, also the high numbers of inexperienced riders who take stupid risks in highly dangerous situations. So while I agree that better cycle lanes are clearly a very good idea it might also be a good idea to have easy access to training for new riders.
    The gear changing, helmet wearing fule.
    FCN :- -1
    Given up waiting for Fast as Fupp to start stalking me
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Yep, I think that sometimes newbie/inexperienced cyclists do get themselves into trouble. However, I think that HGV drivers need to take more care. The whole thing about "if you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you" Screams that they should get slightly better mirrors.

And then there are bendy buses, YAY, dangerous for everyone! and really not suited to London's roads.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Don't get me started on those bendy buses, they truly are a nightmare.

I had an altercation with a bendy bus driver on Friday around Trafalgar Square but realised afterwards that it wasn't his driving that I should have copmplaied about as he was blocking two lanes and was stopped through a set of red lights also blocking traffic filtering from another direction, but the fact the the bus itself was responsible for the complete and utter chaos it caused across two junctions!

For training all newbies should be encouraged to do the CTC scheme

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4135
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • One of the very best things about moving from North Essex to Ealing has been avoiding the effing bendy buses on my west-west commute. Those bl**dy things used to nearly take me out on a daily basis - I think the drivers must just forget that they are driving TWO BUSES!

*&&*^%%&$^%$^%!!!!

Somebody stop me... I'm in danger of ranting here.... :oops:
  • boybiker wrote:
    Having done a little research into this the last few days - the most telling statistic to me is the following.

I find it interesting that its always assumed to be the fault of the driver of the HGV, however several people have said to me over the last few days that part of the problem at least seems to be with the current high number of new/inexperienced riders in London who don't have the experience when dealing with heavy traffic and have problems knowing how to position themselves properly, also the high numbers of inexperienced riders who take stupid risks in highly dangerous situations. So while I agree that better cycle lanes are clearly a very good idea it might also be a good idea to have easy access to training for new riders.

This is certainly true and any attempt to reduce the number of deaths of this kind will have to take account of that.

This means education for cyclist & drivers.

It may mean that where the compromise lane of green paint meant to pass for cycling facilities exists they are removed.

It may mean banning cyclists from certain roads or streches of road.

I certainly don't think it is the fault of one group or another, each case is individual - but the overall aim has to be to mitigate the risk and aim to reduce these deaths in line with the overall fall in other cycling deaths.
  • Interesting (if thats the right word) - Female cyclists and Male messengers ? :(

I was confused by this at first, but you're right - noteworthy, certainly...