A40 Oxford-Cheltenham

epr
epr Posts: 26
I want to ride from Oxford-Cheltenham; the A40 goes straight there but I'm pretty sure most of it is not really cyclable? Does anyone have any information about this road or the best alternatives?

I'm not looking for a particularly enjoyable ride, just one that's fairly direct and will not get me flattened by a lorry. I have a commuting bike which can cope with paths etc.

Many thanks.

Comments

• DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Using google maps on "satellite" view can often give a feel for the road.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en ... 8&t=k&z=18

This one looks like a DC and I'd imagine it'd be quite busy.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • mrmo
    mrmo Posts: 10
    haven't ridden all the way to Oxford, only as far as Burford.

It is rideable, but it gets busier the further you go along the A40. There is a cycle path from Witney to Oxford i believe (certainly the pavement seems to be used like one)

I find it much better to use the lanes as far as burford, ie. A40Tunnel Hill), turn off at Withington then, Syreford, through to Windrush and then Burford. The old road may continue beyond burford but i don't know for sure.
  • i used to commute the Oxford-Witney section. It's excellent - dedicated cycle path basically all the way, completely separated from the road most of the time.

At Witney, it becomes a dual carriageway (bypass) but you could always go through the town. I don't know what happens after, I never paid attention. But it's not far to Burford, where MRMO's advice kicks in.