What should my feet be doing when I stand up?

msw
msw Posts: 313
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
When I get up out of the saddle, I suddenly feel like I don't know what my feet are supposed to be doing. Toes down, heels down, trying to keep them flat, or what? My feet don't feel like they naturally just go to the right place..

I've been cycling for years (but with a few years off...) and never noticed this before. If anyone can help that would be great. The only thing I can think of is that I've just got some new SPD-SL pedals and I'm still getting used to the horizontal "float": my old ones were standard SPDs without any float at all really.

cheers all
"We're not holding up traffic. We are traffic."

Comments

• I find it easier with my feet pointed slightly down at the front, but you want to keep your feet fairly horizontal I should think it would hurt quite a lot if you tried to do it with your toes pointed str8 down.
    The gear changing, helmet wearing fule.
    FCN :- -1
    Given up waiting for Fast as Fupp to start stalking me
  • boybiker wrote:
    I find it easier with my feet pointed slightly down at the front, but you want to keep your feet fairly horizontal I should think it would hurt quite a lot if you tried to do it with your toes pointed str8 down.

I guess it may be a case of "different strokes for different folks".
    I like to lean forward with my face over the front of the bike. Toes end up pointing almost straight down at the bottom of the stroke as I push backwards toward the rear wheel. I don't tend to be above the saddle at all....more in front of it.....Probably terribly inneficient as I can't possibly get my whole weight on the pedals!
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    Pedal.

Hope this helps.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    If your feet are not following your normal rotation more or less then it may be that the cleats are not set up right for you. The float will not make much difference here. Idealy with your feet in the most comfortable and natural position when the crank is level which will probably be a bit toes down when out of the saddle the ball of your foot should be right above the pedal spindle. You may need small adjustments from here but it is a good starting point.
    SPD.SLs have a fairly low height so should not be as critical as some of the older ones such as Look (non Keo).
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    "What should my feet be doing when I stand up?"
    Someone help me I can't stop myself. Here it comes.
    They should be somewhere under your waist, about 30 to, oh say, 36 inches below
    and helping to support the rest of your body. :wink::wink:
    Couldn't stop myself. Had to do it.

Dennis Noward
  • They ought to be supporting your legs and hopefully stopping you from falling over!

Like dennism, this reply just had to be done for silliness factor :D
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • msw
    msw Posts: 313
    thanks all - finally I can stop dragging myself along the ground on my knees. it's so simple when you know how.
    "We're not holding up traffic. We are traffic."
  • John.T wrote:
    If your feet are not following your normal rotation more or less then it may be that the cleats are not set up right for you. The float will not make much difference here. Idealy with your feet in the most comfortable and natural position when the crank is level which will probably be a bit toes down when out of the saddle the ball of your foot should be right above the pedal spindle. You may need small adjustments from here but it is a good starting point.
    SPD.SLs have a fairly low height so should not be as critical as some of the older ones such as Look (non Keo).

+1.

The ball of your foot should be over the pedal spindle. It will never feel like walking, because that involves articulation of the foot from heel to toe. Think of it more like climbing a ladder. The ball of your foot is on the ladder rung, and your weight is balanced on the ligaments in your ankle and heel.

Once that is set up OK, then if it still feels strange, then you just need to do more climbing out of the saddle :D

Find a hill of about a kilometre with not too steep a gradient, say 5%, and try doing the whole distance out of the saddle. Concentrate on rhythm, pedalling circles and relaxing - what the French call "souplesse", I think.