walking sections

lesz42
lesz42 Posts: 690
edited September 2008 in MTB beginners
hey!

Bit of a noob at trail riding, done the Llandegla blue , twice, and my skill or lack of, is rather low

but fancy the red and black routes, any shame in walking sections that are too hard or scary! :)
Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5

Comments

• ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    No. As you get better, you will walk less bits. Dont sweat it! 8)

Stick with the red/ blue for a bit tho first. The black run is all rollable, but if you are struggling a bit on the blue, take a bit of time getting the confidence up.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • gazvenn
    gazvenn Posts: 121
    the only thing you'll find technically challenging on the red section there is 1 or 2 climbs, and a couple of berms, take the berms slow enough and keep your weight back and you won't have a problem.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    No shame in walking bits! I do.
  • I don't even know where this is, let alone how hard the walky bits are. anyone care to enlighten me?
    Welcome, to my bonesaw!
  • gazvenn
    llandegla is in north wales, only trail centre i've really ridden since starting riding again properly couple months back and its good fun but even the black section isn't very technical, to make it harder just have to ride at it faster :P.
  • ratty2k
    Its a great place llandegla, spent a lot of time there. But was a while ago... Its become IMO a victim of its own success. Too many people there at weekends now for my liking. I've heard of lines of riders going up climbs, and thats not for me!
    My Pics !

• gazvenn
    it's definately all about the midweek at llandegla, i did the black run today and saw 1 other guy all the way round, (caught up to him coming down the black then he shot off ahead of me on the way back up). went round for a second run of just the red and saw 2 people near the start and then 2 other people near the end and that was it. plenty quiet enough :)
  • ratty2k
    Yer, best time to go! Might have to give it a go soon, once the good old mild winter kicks in and the Peak is too boggy to ride.
    My Pics !

• lesz42
    first time i went was a saturday, big mistake, if its your first time, just too busy with faster riders, with a few coming the wrong way down? which puts off the climb, if you are unfit and have to stop! grrrrr

went on a wednesday (2nd visit) was perfect, saw about 5 riders? did the blue in 65 min,

going to do the blue few more times, and would like to do it twice in a day, in 2 rides time, as i am getting more fit, and losing weight!

just need some more grippy tyres and some shin/elbow protectors.
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • ratty2k
    Dont really need the protectors there IMO, but, if you feel better with them on... Its your bones! :D
    As for tyres, Maxxis Highrollers are pretty cheap. Come up a wee bit small compared to some, but are a good and cheap tyre. Get the single ply versions if you do get some.
    My Pics !

• lesz42
    hey thanks! more concerned about the shins really, some 661 veggie wraps?

was thinking the Maxxis HR S plys, at about 35 psi, i am 13 stone ( small stones :)
  • ratty2k
    Pressure is something to play with anyway, worth trying different pressures in your current tyres, just to see what difference it makes...
    My Pics !

• passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    No shame in walking. Use your time to watch others do it and visualise yourself doing it, consder the lines. That way, walking becomes a learning experience. Walk the tougher bits of the red run before attempting to ride it all - get to know the trail. Move onto black (once you can ride the red) and repeat. That's what I'd do anyway.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Yip...

Walking bits is normal behaviour....

Even if you feel confident enough to ride it...it is sometimes worth even stopping at some sections, having a bit of a look and then deciding whether to ride it or walk it....

Look before you Leap!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    no shame in walking bits at all, if you dont have a go at sections which are difficult, you wont ever get good enough to do them, it makes me laugh when i read folk banging on about new riders riding "their" trails when they arent very competant.

ride the bits you can, walk the bits you cant and ignore anyone who chopses off.
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Absolutley nothing wrong with having a little walk before you have a good go at something.

Tyres wise, unless it's really wet I'd go for Maxxis Ignitors round there as they're bang on for hard pack trail centres, but if you ride more varied terrain High Rollers are the way forward.

I run a 2.35" single ply super tacky on the front and a 2.35" Maxpro on the rear, but as you're on a hard tail maybe a 2.1" maxpro on the rear would be a better idea taking possible tyre clearance issues into account