Spoke Reflectors removal!

Mertyn
Mertyn Posts: 51
edited September 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi All,

I've just got myself a lovely Specialized Rockhopper 08 and i'm in the process of making it cool 8)

First and foremost i've taken the bell and front reflector off (leaving the little red back one as that doesn't bother me really. If and when I commute i'll be getting decent lights anyway!

Now, i'm struggling to remove the spoke reflectors - can these be properly removed or do they just need to be broken off? :twisted:

Comments

• Dan67
    Dan67 Posts: 658
    can be taken off properly which ends up with them being broken. I cant remeber how i took mine off my old bike. I think there may be a screw like thing on the back of them. ithin you twist them but i cant rember
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes, a plastic screw.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Use a large, flatheaded screwdriver, and support the reflector with your other hand so you don't break the spokes!
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • yer i think u can screw them off but we all no that its just more fun to break em off
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    If you really want to keep the relectors in one piece, the only guaranteed way is to snip those long bits going from the hub to the wheel rim (think thy're called spokes). There are loads on the wheel anyway, so just cut out the one with the reflector on and slide it off.... all done :lol:
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    lol !

I left mine on. Took the bell and front reflector off though. Am I sad ? :D
  • I snap mine off.

Am I wrong here, but aren't front and rear reflectors a legal requirement on the road, regardless of lights? Need to check this really. I'm moving house and I've already packed my books including the Highway Code.
    Welcome, to my bonesaw!
  • cjw
    No they're not a requirement. At night you need front light, back light, back reflector and pedal reflectors.
    London to Paris Forum

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • So how does one get away with SPDs at night then? Or if everything else you haveis already lit up like a christmas tree do they tend not to worry too much about pedal reflectors?
    Welcome, to my bonesaw!
  • cjw
    SPDs are not legal during darkness or low visibility (unless you have reflectors conforming to the BS - Not likely). Will you get stopped or done if lit up? Probably not... but you could.
    London to Paris Forum

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • cjw
    From Dft;

Obligatory Lighting and Reflectors
    Any cycle which is used during the hours of darkness or during periods of poor visibility MUST be fitted with the following:
    white front light
    red rear light
    red rear reflector
    amber/yellow pedal reflectors - front and rear on each pedal.
    The lamps may be steady or flashing, or a mixture - e.g. steady at the front and flashing at the rear. A steady light is recommended at the front when the cycle is used in areas without good street lighting.
    If either of the lights is capable of emitting a steady light, then it must conform to BS 6102-3 and be marked accordingly, even if used in flashing mode.
    Purely flashing lights are not required to conform to BS6102-3, but the flash rate must be between 60 and 240 equal flashes per minute (1-4 per second) and the luminous intensity must be at least 4 candela. (This should be advised by the manufacturer).
    The pedal reflectors and rear reflector must conform to BS 6102-2.
    Lights and reflectors not conforming to the BS, but conforming to a corresponding standard of another EC country and marked accordingly, are considered to comply as long as that standard provides an equivalent level of safety.
    Lights are NOT required to be fitted on a bicycle at the point of sale - but IF they are fitted, then they must comply with these regulations.
    London to Paris Forum

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • I guess that's me sticking to good old fashioned toe straps then, seeing as my excuse to myself for my new ride is primarily using it for work, and I work a lot of unsociable hours :(
    Welcome, to my bonesaw!
  • cjw
    At night I have reflective strips everywhere - jersey, camelback, tights, shoes. None of which conform. Front light is 850 lumens, but not conforming with the bs. No rear reflector. Only truely legal bit is the £4 flashing back light! If stopped I will just plead ignorance...
    London to Paris Forum

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Mertyn wrote:
    Now, i'm struggling to remove the spoke reflectors - can these be properly removed or do they just need to be broken off? :twisted:
    The side that looks as though it has a screwdriver slot in it - push the two sides of the 'slot' together and the clip will just fall out.

Or just break 'em off and leave the clip on the spokes for that authentic 'ghetto' look.
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Clasp with hand, twist through 90 degrees, launch over shoulder.
  • Thanks for all the answers!
  • Thread8
    Thread8 Posts: 479
    best way i find is to shove a flathead screwdriver in the screw that's on one side, twist the driver through 90 degrees and off comes the reflector. you may find it gets caught, so just give it a wiggle, otherwise it comes off cleanly.

you might find that in the screwdriver slot, 1 half is slightly above the other. if this is the case, stick the screwdriver diagonally between the 2 slots
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

"It's like parkour, on a bike"