Ride of the falling leaves

phreak
phreak Posts: 2,907
Hi all,

Signed up to do the Ride of the falling leaves early next month. Is anyone else doing it (or has done it before)?

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    I'm doing it. Have ridden it before too. It's a great end of season event over a fairly challenging course.
  • phreak
    *gulp* one of the heavy hitters on the board :lol:

What sort of time is good? I'm doing the 100km round the isle of wight ride this Sunday and hope to do that in around 3.15/3.30.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    My partner and I are signed up/flights booked. Hope to do the 150km if the weather is good
    M.Rushton
  • I'll be there. Look for an Archer RC jersey (white with a yellow chest band) and say hello as you pass me on the hills :wink:
  • andyp
    phreak wrote:

What sort of time is good? I'm doing the 100km round the isle of wight ride this Sunday and hope to do that in around 3.15/3.30.

I'm skinny as a rake don't you know! Heavy hitter indeed. :wink:

Last year the group I was in (which included Nelson Longflap who posts on here) were aiming for a sub 4 hour ride for the longer course. We did this with 5-10 minutes in hand I think. I hope to go a bit quicker this year as I'm using it to prepare for the Giro di Lombardia GF.

Look forward to seeing you there.
  • Gary D
    Gary D Posts: 431
    phreak wrote:

Just curious...

What time did you manage to do the Round the Wight in?

I did it as well - and it was a LOT hillier than I anticipated :shock: :shock:

Gary.
    Oh and I feel like I've been raped by an Orangutan :shock: And I've got legs like Girders :lol:
  • andyp
    The forecast seems to be improving as we get closer to the day. I'm riding regardless of the weather - I've been looking forward to this event all week.
  • phreak
    Gary D wrote:
    phreak wrote:

Just curious...

What time did you manage to do the Round the Wight in?

I did it as well - and it was a LOT hillier than I anticipated :shock: :shock:

Gary.

Wasn't on such good form and struggled around in 3hr 40. Not sure what kind of course the Leaves ride is, be nice if it wasn't quite as undulating as the IoW ride. Weather forecast doesn't look too good, should make it interesting.
  • "phreak wrote:
    be nice if it wasn't quite as undulating as the IoW ride. Weather forecast doesn't look too good, should make it interesting.

it's quite up and downy according to the information I've been given. The phrase "short murderous wall" was mentioned, by someone who expects me to haul my sprinters thighs around the Tour of Flanders next year.... :shock:

I've seen the BBC forecast. I'm just off to prep the commutting bike, as it has full 'guards.
  • andyp
    The course has a couple of hills before you get outside the M25, then a relatively long flattish section before the hilly last 30 miles. There's 2 climbs in quick succession before Westerham, then Sundridge Lane, then a couple of little nasty climbs before the slog up to Crystal Palace just before the finish.

It's quite tough and the forecast rain'll make it a challenging day out.
  • I'll be taking a leisurely ride round and decide on the route at Westerham :D
  • I'm signed up and really looking forward to it, it will be my first ever serious ride of any kind and from all accounts it should be fairly challenging :) Hopefully the weather will hold out :?
  • phreak
    Sounds like it's going to be a good challenge :)
  • its a good day - i have done it twice although sadly not this year. first time it did not stop raining all the way round but I enjoyed it enough to go back for another.

Hills ain't that bad, short and sweet - although the ones (including Toys) before the stop in Westerham are pretty close together, but enjoy the run into town after Chartwell. (I think).
  • andyp
    How did everyone get on? I got there at 0830 and was on the road by 0835. Never really found a good group so did almost all of it on my own. I rode hard to compensate for the miserable weather and did the long course in exactly 4 hours, which was a bit slower than last year but a) it was dry and b) I was in a group all the way round.

After a shower and a cup of tea I'm now feeling dry and happy! :D
  • phreak
    Around 4hr 30 for me. Also started at 8.30 so may have seen you there. Horrid weather but a good turnout in the circumstances. Blooming hard work.
  • Started at about 9ish and completed the long course in about 4hr35m. Not too bad for my first ever serious ride of any kind :)
  • Started at 8.40 and struggled round on 72" fixed in 5h 25ish absolutely soaked but loved it, at least it wasn't cold :D