Riding Breacon Beacons this weekend- What're your advices?

theseawind
theseawind Posts: 7
edited September 2008 in MTB rides
Hello there,

I'm new to the UK and am planing give Brecon Beacons a try this weekend. I'm a typical B rider mostly ride CX from San Francisco Bay Area. I plan to base myself in Brecon and would like to camp out for one night leaving from London Friday afternoon. Is there anything I should know of and bring other than helmet and the typical gears. What trail do you recommend. Where should I camp? Any nice local restaurants, hostels that I should make use. All information is greatly appreciated.

It would be great to find a local group ride there but I don't know anyone yet. Do you? If you happen to be at Brecon Beacons this weekend or have the weekend free, you're more than welcome to join in. Bring your sharp mind and positive attitude.

Thanks!

Comments

• If you're in Brecon the gap route is a good all day route with some decent descents and good views over the beacons. A quick google should give you a few routes or take a look at www.mtbwales.com.

Afan trail centre isn't too far from Brecon and definitely worth a visit. www.mbwales.com (not the same as the above) has info on trail centres in the area.

I'm based in Merthyr Tydfil so if you're still looking for riding buddies on the weekend drop me a message. It's a shame you weren't around last weekend or you could've done the Brecon Beast www.breconbeast.co.uk
  • Thanks welshwardy for the info and the offer! I would be great to have your company. :D

Where is Afran trail located? Can I ride to the trail head from Brecon or will a bus ride do the job?

I checked the weather forecast. It looks like the temperature will be around 18C this weekend with no rain. Can I trust the forecast or should I bring rain gears with me?

Aw... bummer that I missed Brecon Beast last weekend. I was still moving in London on Sunday. Hopefully there will be another chance.
  • I'll drop you a PM about meeting for a ride.

Afan is over towards port talbot, not really rideable from Brecon if you want to have any strength left for the trails. Probably best left for another weekend!

Weather looks ok, I'd be tempted to pack a lightweight jacket as it's pretty exposed at the top but I can't see it raining to be honest. It'll be warm rain if it does :)

Yeah the beast was good, my first proper enduro it was basically an extended gap route so you'll get a taste of it on the weekend!
  • christk
    christk Posts: 122
    There's a ride posted on the MTB Wales web site leaving Breacon at 9am on Sunday morning if you are interested. They are doing the Gap ride and all welcome.

Are you still doing Afan over the weekend (Saturday morning by any chance). If so I wouldn't mind tagging along?
  • Hi Christk-

Sunday will not work for me since I have to leave Brecon early in the afternoon. I'm riding the Gap on Saturday instead. You're more than welcome to join us. The ride starts at around 10:30pm.

Afran looks like a lot of fun. I doubt if I could make it this weekend, but I do plan to go back to Wales for more riding and Afran is surely on the list. Single tracks are my favorite. :)
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Used to live in Merthyr to, lots of nice trails around there (especially headed up to Brecon) but not always way-marked very well so handy to have a map if you don't have a local guide. Afan is fun to but a different type of riding (more technical riding and more wooded so not the same scenic/panoramic views as in the Brecon Beacons).